How Would You Rate Episode 109?

Ran

420 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

I'm sure the only reason they didn't do the battles was budget restraints. We all would've loved to watch these battles, no one denies that. But if you're hating on the show because it doesn't have an unlimited budget, you're being childish.

On a completely separate note - can someone help me? There seems to be some problems with my account, and as a fairly new user, I have no idea what to do, but Ran, I know you are an administrator - please help...I cannot look at my own profile - I keep getting error messages saying that '(I) do not have permission to...' What do I do? I haven't logged on since June 6th, I think, yet when I tried this morning, I was BLOCKED from everything?????????????????

There's a thread about this in the Help section, but here's the short version explanation: We've turned off that functionality until traffic dies down a bit. Otherwise, the forum would be experiencing SQL errors pretty much constantly. Once things calm, that functionality will be restored. :)

Edited by Xray the Enforcer

There's a thread about this in the Help section, but here's the short version explanation: We've turned off that functionality until traffic dies down a bit. Otherwise, the forum would be experiencing SQL errors pretty much constantly. Once things calm, that functionality will be restored. :)

I'm getting more than just SQL errors - I can't even view my own profile...my picture isn't showing up and I get the error message that says I do not have permission to "look at member profiles." I'm just trying to get to my own???????? Am I to understand that this is blocked all together???

There's a large battle/conflict at the end of every book. Even in AFFC, we have the siege of Riverrun. To not include even one of those, just one friggin battle scene, is a slap in the face. It's like the whole plot was building up to that point, and the writers and producers decided, you know what, we can skip this and spend the money saved on T&A scenes and character development.

I also only registered here because of this episode. I am a long time reader of the site though (from before the series) and have been an avid reader of the series since college.

I think the dramatic side of the episode was still there and enjoyed it for what it was in its own right separate from the books. The slumber party and game scene was a little drawn out for my taste but I did like the revelation by Tyrion coming into play though I think it lost some effect and luster minus the gold coin for him at the end. The final scene was definitely gut wrenching. I'm not as upset about the battles not being on film but I am rather upset at the way Tyrion was portrayed; Tyrion is no super dwarf warrior but was very much an exceptional commander in the field when the opportunities were given him and he fought as best he could given his attributes in the books.

For the overall dramatic effect of the episode I could have given it a ten but between the disappointment of absolutely not a hint of actual action in the field and the portrayal of Tyrion I can only muster to give it an 8 out of 10 . . . The Tyrion thing just miffed me a bit too much.

Edited by suncoast

I'm sure the only reason they didn't do the battles was budget restraints. We all would've loved to watch these battles, no one denies that. But if you're hating on the show because it doesn't have an unlimited budget, you're being childish.

Am pretty sure the budget was good enough for few quick dirty battle scenes,but my guess is they wasted a lots of money on the pilot that was never aired.So they did at last 11 episodes actually, for this season.

I feel like as good as the episode was, I couldn't give it a perfect score after they cut out the two major battles included in the source material. Cutting out the first one was actually not a big deal, intriguingly. I thought that knocking Tyrion out and then him waking up after the battle added to how they were portraying him and all we lost were action scenes. But cutting out the second one was a bit more detrimental to the story because it seemed to quick and were weren't given enough exposition to explain what Robb's plan was and how they carried out that plan.

But for the most part, everything else was top notch. Most of the scenes were adapted excellently from the book. I especially loved how Maester Aemon revealed that he was a Targaryen

9/10

I don't understand all the complaints. There doesn't need to be battles for this show to be awesome. And the show doesn't need to be word for word in order to pay homage.

The writers and producers are not sitting in their offices laughing "HAHA those NERDS! We sure got em this time!"

No.

They did the best they could. And darn it, their best is pretty fucking impressive.

No spoilers... but something happening next week may be a big budget scene. And I am certain it will be spectacular.

You can't tell a story about war and cut all the battle scenes. If you can't afford to tell the story right, don't tell at all. It's distressing having this glorious tale reduced to an inferior product.

BTW, I guess my last post was censored -- for being too negative? -- even though it generated several replies in agreement before removal. A thousand apoligies. I didn't realize this site was hosted from Syria. I would've hoped a site dedicate to a WRITER would have more respect for free speech.

Hopefully what follows will pass the censors: These HBO writers are rank amateurs who have no business interpreting GRRM's work. Every episode (except #8) reminds me of a child trying to re-interpret a Picasso. HBO is demeaning GRRMs art.

I won't even talk much about the utterly contrived scenes they add (Ned noticing Arya in a crowd of thousands, Tyrion being knocked unconsious just before battle for the entire battle, etc). The #1 great thing about A Game of Thrones is it's realism. Yet HBO can't resist sensationalising the plot for cheap kicks. They treated The Wire and Deadwood with far more respect.

If you want me to put it any nicer than that, have HBO produce a better series. The writers should be fired. I refuse to water-down my opinion for anyone's benefit.

Edited by Snake from Dorne

I didn't like how they did Tyrion's "battle" scene. I guess it's inevitable since they obviously don't have the budget to show an actual battle, but still. It makes me wonder what they'll do when they have to depict the Battle of the Blackwater, since they can't just gloss over that.

Aside from that, everything was great. Good thing they got the Tysha story in. I don't remember Shae being a foreigner, or being so bitchy either, but I liked her well enough. I noticed they're not implying she's an actual whore here, she almost comes off like the daughter of exiled nobility or something like that. So this might put a very different spin on the Tyrion/Shae relationship in the next seasons.

And the last scene still got to me, even though I knew it would happen. You were too good for us, Ned.

Yes you can.

Of course you can. You can do anything you want to. But it doesn't have to be good, though.

9 for me. Should have been a 10, but they skipped the first battle, and poorly handled the second. The rest was fantastic, especially Dany's scenes, which literally gave me goose bumps.

Edited by Songlian

Long time lurker, first time poster. I joined specifically to post my displeasure with this episode. 1/10. I'm never watching this show again. They butcher two important and relatively small scale battles compared to the future battles in the series. If they're gonna do this to small scale battles then I might as well quit watching right now because I don't want to watch a terrible Blackwater episode. I might as well not set myself up for disapointment. I didn't even get to enjoy Ned's death because I was fuming about that the fact that I got screwed out of two major battles. I can't believe they pulled a Rome on me. This is even worse then when they had a seven episode build-up of a fight between Pompey and Caesar and then just show the aftermath. You just lost yourself a viewer HBO.

EDIT: Thanks for the useless time wasting Tyrion "guess what" scene.

Yes, I can see how entire HBO is panicking and calling their banne... erm emergency meetings over losing one viewer.

sulking over a TV show... grow up kid.

Totally agree with you mate. I didn't expect them to show Whispering Wood, thought they might show Jaime cutting down a few Northmen just to give him some air-time but the way they completely distorted the other battle was just awful. It made Tyrion look like an incompetent oaf, deprived of us a pretty exciting scene which I enjoyed in the books and like you said, this battle was small potatoes compared to what's ahead. Maybe budgetary constraints? Well if they'd just followed Tyrions contribution to the battle for a couple minutes showing the tribemen fighting it wouldn't have been that costly.

Also, if I hadn't read the series i'd have no idea what the significance of those two battles was. The friend I was watching with was clueless that Riverun's siege had just been lifted not to mention the predicament now facing Tywin's half of the Lannister army which is effectively cut-off.

IMO this particular episode simply didn't do the book any justice.

Just to add, Not only did my mate (who hasn't read the series) not know Riverun's siege had just been lifted, he didn't know it was besieged in the first place..... But at least he knows that Bronn's dad beat him and that Shae doesn't like it when Tyrion talks about her parents!

If you had not been a reader you would not understand the significance of 18,000 men annihilating 30,000? wow, dude... you're awesome

Long time lurker, first time poster. I joined specifically to post my displeasure with this episode. 1/10. I'm never watching this show again. They butcher two important and relatively small scale battles compared to the future battles in the series. If they're gonna do this to small scale battles then I might as well quit watching right now because I don't want to watch a terrible Blackwater episode. I might as well not set myself up for disapointment. I didn't even get to enjoy Ned's death because I was fuming about that the fact that I got screwed out of two major battles. I can't believe they pulled a Rome on me. This is even worse then when they had a seven episode build-up of a fight between Pompey and Caesar and then just show the aftermath. You just lost yourself a viewer HBO.

EDIT: Thanks for the useless time wasting Tyrion "guess what" scene.

Yes, I can see how entire HBO is panicking and calling their banne... erm emergency meetings over losing one viewer.

sulking over a TV show... grow up kid.

Totally agree with you mate. I didn't expect them to show Whispering Wood, thought they might show Jaime cutting down a few Northmen just to give him some air-time but the way they completely distorted the other battle was just awful. It made Tyrion look like an incompetent oaf, deprived of us a pretty exciting scene which I enjoyed in the books and like you said, this battle was small potatoes compared to what's ahead. Maybe budgetary constraints? Well if they'd just followed Tyrions contribution to the battle for a couple minutes showing the tribemen fighting it wouldn't have been that costly.

Also, if I hadn't read the series i'd have no idea what the significance of those two battles was. The friend I was watching with was clueless that Riverun's siege had just been lifted not to mention the predicament now facing Tywin's half of the Lannister army which is effectively cut-off.

IMO this particular episode simply didn't do the book any justice.

Just to add, Not only did my mate (who hasn't read the series) not know Riverun's siege had just been lifted, he didn't know it was besieged in the first place..... But at least he knows that Bronn's dad beat him and that Shae doesn't like it when Tyrion talks about her parents!

If you had not been a reader you would not understand the significance of 18,000 men annihilating 30,000? wow, dude... you're awesome

Shakespeare was not going for an accurate depiction of history. HBO is going for an accurate depiction of the novel.

Incorrect, HBO is showing an adaption of the novel. Big difference.

for me 9/10 - wasn't quite perfect, the Shae/Tyrion/Bronn I Never game didn't fit well but other than that, top notch.

Not sure I like the change in Shae from the standpoint of how she testifies against Tyrion in the end. Her meekness in the books played well into that, whereas this situation she is much more like Bronn - Tyrion KNOWS Bronn is only as trustworthy as the gold he gets, Shae's "innocence" let Tyrion think he was more to her than a meal ticket.

Edited by Datepalm
hidden spoiler

6 from me.

I love the series, I have previously loved the added scenes, and changes and not been bothered by omissions. So it pains me to say, but for me, some scenes (maybe half) were a great 10 out of 10. But just as many were guttingly disappointing (some a 1 or 2 tops). It wasn't an all round average episode, but the mix of excellent and awful got a 6 overall from me.

Ned's death scene , perfect. Varys, amazing, Sean Bean too. The acting, on the whole, great. frey, great. Jon and Aemon, great. ending music- wonderful. Dany's acting- fantastic.

Shae- not good. The drinking game scene that makes Tyrion a mind-reader (he's clever, he's not psychic!) was not a good way to have his Tysha story in IMO, though others may disagree. Bronn's story was interesting but we only needed to know half of that, max. No Whispering Woods, not even what Cat saw- awful, almost series ruining for me. Too much telling, no showing (Jaime cut down 10 men did he? I didn't see it, and his character could do with some fighting street-cred because that's what his redemptive arc and multiple storylines and character defining moments end up being BASED ON). Making characters like Jorah more sympathetic- ok, but not at the expense of others. No Direwolves, and this was an episode they should have been in. Why make Robb only able to have 1/3 as many men as Tywin? Why make any of the changes this episode? You don't need a huge budget to get some idea of what is going on in a battle. You don't need a lot of time to show some of the WW.

I'm really disappointed for the first time, and thank god that Varys and Ned's opening and Ned's death were well acted enough to make up for the cr*p in the middle