How Would You Rate Episode 109?

Ran

420 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

9/10.

I think at least one of the two battles should have been shown, but it is understandable why neither weren't, they were going for the shock factor of Robb capturing Jaime. And that moment paid off in my opinion (maybe it's because I haven't read that far in the book yet to make me dislike how it was done).

The ending was really well done. I hate that stupid little cunt Joffrey though.

9 out of 10.

I'm still disappointed at not a single Tower of Joy reference. Just before Ned's death there seemed to be a hesitation and I thought there might be something... But no. Otherwise this series has far exceeded my expectations of an adapted series. Yes some things have been changed, yes Roz has been annoying, but this series has gotten me hook.

And my fiancé, for whom the last fantasy anything she got into was the Lord of the Rings movies is thoroughly hooked. She cried when Ned died. And she never cries with movies. She hates me for getting into the show but is addicted now.

Long time lurker, first time poster. I joined specifically to post my displeasure with this episode. 1/10. I'm never watching this show again. They butcher two important and relatively small scale battles compared to the future battles in the series. If they're gonna do this to small scale battles then I might as well quit watching right now because I don't want to watch a terrible Blackwater episode. I might as well not set myself up for disapointment. I didn't even get to enjoy Ned's death because I was fuming about that the fact that I got screwed out of two major battles. I can't believe they pulled a Rome on me. This is even worse then when they had a seven episode build-up of a fight between Pompey and Caesar and then just show the aftermath. You just lost yourself a viewer HBO.

EDIT: Thanks for the useless time wasting Tyrion "guess what" scene.

The boards will just have to muddle on without contributions of this level of quality.

While we are at it, we must condemn that worthless good-for-nothing bastard Shakespeare. How dare he tell the story of Henry V without actually showing Agincourt. I feel robbed. If he actually existed and if not for the fact he's been dead for 500+ years, I'd kick him in the trousers.

While we are at it, we must condemn that worthless good-for-nothing bastard Shakespeare. How dare he tell the story of Henry V without actually showing Agincourt. I feel robbed. If he actually existed and if not for the fact he's been dead for 500+ years, I'd kick him in the trousers.

Shakespeare was not going for an accurate depiction of history. HBO is going for an accurate depiction of the novel.

I gave it a 9. The final scene literally gave me chills and was as sad and shocking as it should have been. There were parts where I thought it dragged on a little, like Tyrion's scene with Shae and I wish we would have seen the Whispering Wood, but still very good.

Shakespeare was not going for an accurate depiction of history. HBO is going for an accurate depiction of the novel.

Quite the opposite. HBO's intent (or more correctly D&D's intent) is to capture the spirit of the story, as faithfully as possible within the inherent limits of the medium and the realities of modern television. Anyone who thinks otherwise is setting themselves up for endless disappointment. I thought people here understood that, but apparently not.

10!

I may be in the minority, but I loved the guessing game scene. I thought it was a great way to tell the Tysha back story.

I was hoping for some reference to the Tower of Joy or at least a "Promise Me, Ned" somewhere. I think we went through the entire season without a single reference to Ned's mysterious promise. I'm curious how they will fill this gap down the line.

Still, I loved every second of this episode. It just gets better and better and better and better . . .

The boards will just have to muddle on without contributions of this level of quality.

Ah yes, comparing a play written hundreds of years ago, while being performed in a theatre is an entirely valid comparison to a live action television series. That type of reasoning is a great contribution to the level of quality and analysis on these boards. Bravo sir!

As a viewer, I have to wonder. If they can't even show small scale engagements, like The Whispering Woods, which could of been done relatively cheap with it being dark and all. How will they show Blackwater, the Wall, the fist, Mereen, Yunkai, and Astapor? I would even settle for low budget, close up, and thick in the fighting battle scenes instead of the gorgeous sweeping shots of massive armies we deserve. Instead, we recieve non-existent battle scenes.

pretty disappointed, other than the walder frey scene.

not because they didn't show the battle, but because i don't see how someone who hasn't read would understand what happened with the battles. jaime was captured but how? they could have done better. I've been really happy with most of the episodes, but parts of this one lost me. A better dialogue between Tyrion and the messenger could have done wonders and made this episode the 10 I was expecting.

I missed the battle scenes and I wasn't too keen on the whole Bronn/Tyrion/Shae slumber party, but the negatives far outweigh the positives on this one and I'm more then willing to give it a 10. The final scene just wrenched my heart right out with how perfectly it was performed even though I knew everything that was about to happen.

So sad. :crying:

pretty disappointed, other than the walder frey scene.

not because they didn't show the battle, but because i don't see how someone who hasn't read would understand what happened with the battles. jaime was captured but how? they could have done better. I've been really happy with most of the episodes, but parts of this one lost me. A better dialogue between Tyrion and the messenger could have done wonders and made this episode the 10 I was expecting.

Exactly.

We never see Jaime with an army, we never even see Riverun. Someone who hasn't read the books would have no idea that a major siege has just been lifted or that a significant Lannister host has just been smashed. Judging by the modest numbers accompanying Robb's speech, it looked more like the a mere skirmish has just happened, not a battle. It's easier to notice these things when you're watching with those that haven't read it so IMO the episode failed to convey a sufficiently accurate message to the viewer... since I had to answer about 50 questions once it had ended.

Edited by MrDoog

Ah yes, comparing a play written hundreds of years ago, while being performed in a theatre is an entirely valid comparison to a live action television series. That type of reasoning is a great contribution to the level of quality and analysis on these boards. Bravo sir!

As a viewer, I have to wonder. If they can't even show small scale engagements, like The Whispering Woods, which could of been done relatively cheap with it being dark and all. How will they show Blackwater, the Wall, the fist, Mereen, Yunkai, and Astapor? I would even settle for low budget, close up, and thick in the fighting battle scenes instead of the gorgeous sweeping shots of massive armies we deserve. Instead, we recieve non-existent battle scenes.

The inability to show great battles is just as much a characteristic of television as it is on stage. In one case it is physical and in the other case budgetary, but both are steadfast and unbreakable rules. You can either accept it or not watch. Frankly, if you can't accept it, probably best you don't watch.

List the great large battle scenes in an ongoing television series between actual people (not spaceships or other graphic elements). I get "Philippi on Rome" and that is it. And even that one was horribly fake looking.

And I won't even touch the horrific sense of entitlement that says "I spent my 19.95 a month on HBO and somehow I DESERVE" blah blah blah. DESERVE???? Really. wow.... They gave it a budget of $50M for ten episodes. They producers spent it as best they could. That scene with Tyrion, Shae and Bronn cost 1/1000th of what you wanted would have cost. And there aren't 1000 such scenes to be cut. Talk HBO into $200M and I'm sure you can get more. But I am not willing to pay $100/month for HBO just for that. Well, actually I probably am, but there aren't enough of me to make it work.

If it gets better ratings and sales, there may be more budget down the road. But since season two is probably going to start shooting next month, you can expect the Battle of the Blackwater to be less than you've imagined. But thankfully since you've promised not to watch, we won't have to tolerate you pissing on our collective Corn Flakes.

All I can say is that I got to see a GREAT rendition of the death of Eddard Stark. An incredibly moving scene. If glossing over the Whispering Woods was what I had to give up to get that, I'll take it every time.

Ok, I get it, their skipping one battle to focus on the other.... no, no their... their shipping both? No. Way.

Talk about your all time let-downs. This happens to often.

6, for what it could have been. There where some great scenes but at the end of the day it did not deliver. Anyone watch the new x-men? That delivered. The Dark Night? That delivered. Band of brothers? Delivered. The Pacific? Delivered. Deadwood? Delivered.

This is a good series, but I can in no way endorse the idea that it is on even ground with the books. Im talking direction and writing, at the top when it's good, at the bottom when it's bad.

I'm bot saying it hasn't delivered... just not enough.

9/10

Would have liked to seen a few more scenes involving the nightswatch and less scenes involving Tryion Broon and shae but overall it was a great episode and the ending was done amazingly as sad as it was :frown5:

Edited by The Ranger

Sigh. More nitpicking nonsense based on things they didn't do just like the book. Juvenile nonsense, I swear to the Seven.

The episode was a ten. All the episode have been watchable, several have been very good, but this one was the first great episode in the Game of Thrones series. Without question. The final scene was beyond thrilling, and Sean Bean breathed life into a moment which, in the book, was outside of Ned's head. He died confused and terrified, but ever the good soldier. We didn't get a sense of that in the books, but we definitely got it here.

Great scene, great episode. Tyrion's backstory was so well done, but the drinking game was maybe even better. Such examination of character, such great acting by Jerome and Peter.

Stop whining that they didn't do a battle a certain way. Just stop it.

All I got to say is.... Where the hell are the battles? To me the main reason for wanting to watch this show is the War!... I can read all about Tyrion and Shea..... I wanted to see the battle at river run, and the capturing of Jaime... Sean Bean losing his head sucked to see, but new it was coming. Every thing at the wall was fine.. But short cutting the battles was a mistake, and down right disappointing. ill give this episode a 6 maybe 6.5

Sigh. More nitpicking nonsense based on things they didn't do just like the book. Juvenile nonsense, I swear to the Seven.

The episode was a ten. All the episode have been watchable, several have been very good, but this one was the first great episode in the Game of Thrones series. Without question. The final scene was beyond thrilling, and Sean Bean breathed life into a moment which, in the book, was outside of Ned's head. He died confused and terrified, but ever the good soldier. We didn't get a sense of that in the books, but we definitely got it here.

Great scene, great episode. Tyrion's backstory was so well done, but the drinking game was maybe even better. Such examination of character, such great acting by Jerome and Peter.

Stop whining that they didn't do a battle a certain way. Just stop it.

They didn't do a battle period. And condemning the condemners, way to take the high road. As a paying customer, I can complain all I want. If this was free, then yes I would have no grounds but it's not. So just live with it.