A Thread for Small Questions IX

Datepalm

Guys, guys. Technically people could ride around on UnCat's back and technically she does weigh less than a horse and technically she might like to eat hay, so I think it's pretty clear that it could be credibly argued that UnCat, Catelyn Stark, Lady Stoneheart, is a shetland pony.

Bran - Seems to be aware through warging that something bad has happened to Robb and Grey Wind, does not necessarily know details of Red Wedding. Depending on what Sam told him, may think Jon is still lost beyond the wall. Still thinks Sansa is in King's Landing. Believes Arya is missing and presumed dead. Knows Rickon is alive.

Bran knows the Jon is back from beyond the wall. He warged into Summer and saved Jon.

Guys, guys. Technically people could ride around on UnCat's back and technically she does weigh less than a horse and technically she might like to eat hay, so I think it's pretty clear that it could be credibly argued that UnCat, Catelyn Stark, Lady Stoneheart, is a shetland pony.

That would also explain why her voice is so hoarse.

Arya does not know that Jon is Lord Commander, she heard some people about Lord Snow as Lord Commander but she never made the connection.

Ah, that makes sense now that you mention it. I remember her hearing about Lord Snow, and she didn't seem to react (unlike Sansa, who practically broke her cover). I'd assumed she was just ignoring the details of her previous life, but there's nothing about the name Snow that necessary means Arya would know it was Jon; there are no doubt many men named Snow in the Night's Watch.

why did varys agree to kill Dany, and send birds to do it, if hes scheming to bring her back?

Is it clear that anybody heard about Robert's bounty on Dany aside from this one poor wineseller and Jorah Mormont? I am convinced Jorah knew about the assassination attempt before it happened.

Is it clear that anybody heard about Robert's bounty on Dany aside from this one poor wineseller and Jorah Mormont? I am convinced Jorah knew about the assassination attempt before it happened.

I think that Varys probably sent the poor man and informed Mormont in the letter, so Mormont could further insinuate himself with Dany. Just my opinion.

How many different branches of House Flint are there? (I was playing the Deus Vult mod and there seems to be a few of them)

At least three, the Flints of Flint's Finger and Window's Watch and then the Flints of the mountains which are one of the mountain clans. Widow's Watch is the most powerful branch, but while it's never been established it seems likely (to me) that the mountain clan is the oldest part of the family and members of the clan who distinguished themselves ended up being given the two formal keeps that make up the more-housey-less-clanny part of the house.

Bran - Seems to be aware through warging that something bad has happened to Robb and Grey Wind, does not necessarily know details of Red Wedding. Depending on what Sam told him, may think Jon is still lost beyond the wall.

Bran saw Jon riding for Castle Black through Summer's eyes. (He even used Summer to help him escape the wildlings) So, he knows that Jon is back on this side of the wall, at the very least.

EDIT: as far as the undead discussion...I would just suggest we stop trying to fit them into previously established conventions. unCat and Beric aren't something the likes of which you find in other books or movies--They died. Then they were brought back to life. Their memories and personality go through a rather dramatic change (Lord Beric comments that he can't even remember the castle he had lived in, or the woman he was to marry. Cat, either through death or the preceding trauma, has become utterly lacking in compassion). They do not eat, they rest but do not sleep, and Beric was noted by Arya to have sipped wine occasionally. Nothing else.

If they were resurrected perfectly and brought back to life, they would eat and sleep just like normal humans. I would say that this is a clear indication their bodies are being sustained by a supernatural force, AKA R'hllor.

Based on this, I would say that they're undead.

If you wanted, you could also look into the conditions for classifying something as "alive" (which I'm pretty sure includes taking in sustenance, but it's been a while since my biology classes covered this)...however that's not very useful as those conditions are still in debate by scientists.

Why rabbits? Benfred Tallhart and his cohort at Torrhen's Square (or was it Deepwood Motte?) that got crushed by Theon's ironmen had rabbits tied to their lances. Does anybody know why?

Maybe just a luck or "fashion" thing? I don't recall they had entire rabbits tied to their lances though, wasn't it just a tail?

Young Benifred Tallhart had a bit of hero worship for Robb and raised his own band of boys to run around the north doing valorous deeds. Well, that was the idea. Benifred's dad, Leobald, said that Benifred was less a young wolf than a young rabbit, so the group took the name the Wild Hares and tied rabbit skins to the ends of their lances. And were then slaughtered by Iron Men, because idealistic young men don't go far in Westeros.

Why rabbits? Benfred Tallhart and his cohort at Torrhen's Square (or was it Deepwood Motte?) that got crushed by Theon's ironmen had rabbits tied to their lances. Does anybody know why?

Earlier in the book, when Leobald Tallhart visited Winterfell for the Harvest feast, he mentioned how his nephew Benfred had raised a company of lancers, whom all fancied themselves a second Young Wolf. Leobald tartly remarked that they were more like "young rabbits" and they promptly named themselves the Young Hares.

Bravo, sir, bravo! :thumbsup:

It seems like no one else noticed it. You didn't get credit for it at least, so I thought I should state that it didn't go completely unnoticed.

Finally someone noticed. :)

Archived