A Thread for Small Questions IX

Datepalm

Why does Mya Stone have a last name at all? I thought most commoners don't have last names, and that bastard names are generally reserved for the natural children of nobles. But the example of Mya Stone seems to contradict those assumptions (well, she is the daughter of a noble/king, but she doesn't know that, and Robert hasn't officially acknowledged her as he did Edric Storm).

Bastard names are generally used only for bastards with at least one noble parent, but this is custom, not law. A bastard commonly believed to have a noble parent, even if never officially acknowledged, might well go by the relevant bastard name. Sweet Donnel Hill, for example, claims Lannister blood and so uses the 'Hill' name, but he never specifies which Lannister he's claiming as a parent (or which parent he's claiming as a Lannister, if you look at it the other way. ;)) In Mya's case, I'd imagine that it was known by at least a few in the Vale (certainly by her mother!) that Robert was her father and so she was called 'Stone': but this doesn't necessarily mean that she herself was ever told who her father is. She'll know that it was some noble, but not which one.

I watched the GOT thrones finale, and a couple questions came to mind.

1) I was just wondering why on earth Mormont thought it was a great idea to take much of the Night's Watch beyond the wall? If he knew the Others were a threat, wouldn't the smart decision be to stay on the wall and keep them at bay? Why go on the offensive directly into their own territory?

2) Do we still not know the dynamics as to what exactly happened with Dany and the eggs hatching? Why did they hatch? And did Illyrio know this would happen?

I think Mormont did not truly consider the Others a big threat, and that he wanted to know what happened to all the missing rangers, and Ben Stark. Thwarting the wildlings was probably also a considerable factor.

I believe there are passages to the effect (paraphrasing): "If I send someone out after Ben Stark, and they do not return, who do I send after them? No, this time, we move in force."

What exactly do dogs do to wolves?

Sandor Clegane wants Arya to believe that dogs savage wolves. With a pack of dogs and one lone wolf, that may be true. One on one, it'd better be a pretty hefty dog, since wolves are fairly large, compared to dogs. But in general, I would say that what "wolves to do dogs" is worse than anything that "dogs do to wolves".

Dogs may be raised and bred to have more viscious and "cruel" traits than wolves. Wolves would consider dogs similar enough in species that they would be subjected to pack rules and pack mentality, therefore a lone dog would be more likely to be savaged needlessly by a pack of wolves, than, say, a lone human. But in general, wolves do not hunt for sport or simply to kill (as an instinct), whereas dogs can be trained and bred to do so. And by that reference, one may find some support in Sandor Clegane's statement.

About Tywin Lannister.

It is well established in several POVs that Tywin Lannister never smiles. In a Tyrion POV it is mentioned emphatically (paraphrasing): "Once in a great while, Tywin Lannister would threaten to smile. He never did, but the threat itself was fearsome to behold." I think we get such confirmation from Jaime, and even from their aunt Genna.

However, last night, this line from a Cersei POV in AFFC (p 360) caught my eye:

When she was just a little girl, her father had promised her that she would marry Rhaegar. She could not have been more than six or seven. "Never speak of it, child," he had told her, smiling his secret smile that only Cersei ever saw.

So, Tywin Lannister smiled for Cersei. Does that make her his favourite? I always thought Jaime was his favourite.

It may have been before his wife died. I seem to recall that aunt Genna says something about her death taking all the joy out of him.

Sandor Clegane wants Arya to believe that dogs savage wolves. With a pack of dogs and one lone wolf, that may be true. One on one, it'd better be a pretty hefty dog, since wolves are fairly large, compared to dogs.

I am not a dog expert, but I guess you are wrong. A guardian dog can defeat a wolf in "single combat", as their role is to defend livestock against wolves. A wolf is rarely bigger than 40 kg, while a guardian dog is typically 50 kg or more.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Livestock_guardian_dog

So, Tywin Lannister smiled for Cersei. Does that make her his favourite? I always thought Jaime was his favourite.

Or does he smile? Tyrion says he occasionally threatens to smile, perhaps Cersei views that as his special smile for her. She does, after all, view the world through a very skewed lens.

Even if he did, I wouldn't say it makes her his favourite, but then I don't think Jaime is either, at least not in the usual sense. Tywin Lannister's motivation is the preservation and advancement of House Lannister. I don't think he feels particularly sentimental or is overly bothered about the happiness of any individual members of his family, apart from his wife. After all, he's intent on marrying off Cersei directly against her will, and he practically disowns Jaime when it becomes clear that he is not going to bow to Tywin's wishes. In both circumstances his goal is to further the cause of the family, it's not even personal glory or power he's particularly interested in.

About Tywin Lannister.

It is well established in several POVs that Tywin Lannister never smiles. In a Tyrion POV it is mentioned emphatically (paraphrasing): "Once in a great while, Tywin Lannister would threaten to smile. He never did, but the threat itself was fearsome to behold." I think we get such confirmation from Jaime, and even from their aunt Genna.

However, last night, this line from a Cersei POV in AFFC (p 360) caught my eye:

When she was just a little girl, her father had promised her that she would marry Rhaegar. She could not have been more than six or seven. "Never speak of it, child," he had told her, smiling his secret smile that only Cersei ever saw.

The key here is "secret smile that only Cersei sees". This is just another way of what Tyrion said (that he threatens to smile). I doubt that he has actually smiled.

Though we know from Genna that he had smiled a couple of times, when Aerys made him Hand, when his twins were born.

I know the book states all the Weirwoods were cut down in the south, but I thought I read a reference to a weirwood in both Storms End and on Dragon Stone, am I simply delusional or did I misread Godswood or Heart Tree as Weirwood?

I know the book states all the Weirwoods were cut down in the south, but I thought I read a reference to a weirwood in both Storms End and on Dragon Stone, am I simply delusional or did I misread Godswood or Heart Tree as Weirwood?

I think this was a gaffe on George's part.

Storms End had a weirwood, but Mell cut it off. KL has a old oak, and the rest of the castles have heart trees, but probably not weirwood.

Arya states that the heart tree in Harrenhall is very similar to the one in Winterfell, so that's probably a weirwood as well.

I am not a dog expert, but I guess you are wrong. A guardian dog can defeat a wolf in "single combat", as their role is to defend livestock against wolves. A wolf is rarely bigger than 40 kg, while a guardian dog is typically 50 kg or more.

http://en.wikipedia....ck_guardian_dog

As I said, "It'd better be a pretty hefty dog".

The key here is "secret smile that only Cersei sees". This is just another way of what Tyrion said (that he threatens to smile). I doubt that he has actually smiled.

Though we know from Genna that he had smiled a couple of times, when Aerys made him Hand, when his twins were born.

Correction, it may be another way to say what Tyrion said. But if so, it's a pretty roundabout way. Almost Douglas Adamesque: "He had found a Nutri-Matic machine which had provided him with a plastic cup filled with a liquid that was almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea."

I got the impression that he was proud over Cersei, that she would take his family into the royalty. Perhaps he allowed himself to show "signs of weakness" in front of his daughter, but not in front of his sons (or anyone else). So perhaps she was his ace in the sleeve, so to speak. His and House Lannister's path to glory.

I got the impression that he was proud over Cersei, that she would take his family into the royalty. Perhaps he allowed himself to show "signs of weakness" in front of his daughter, but not in front of his sons (or anyone else). So perhaps she was his ace in the sleeve, so to speak. His and House Lannister's path to glory.

I agree that Cersei was Tywin's favorite, but I think more because she would do what he wanted. Jaime spent much of his childhood living in Crakehall and Casterly Rock, and as a result he's not as overshadowed by Tywin as his siblings and shows an occasional independence that Tywin could hardly have appreciated. For example, Jaime turns down Casterly Rock at the end of ASOS without really fretting over it.

Cersei, by contrast, will kick up a fuss over what Tywin demands of her, and will go behind his back at times, but will ultimately follow his expressed commands. When the question comes up about her marrying again, she's obviously opposed to the idea, but she responds by pouting, stalling and generally acting like a sulky teenager; and Tyrion--who should know--thinks to himself that she'll end up giving in afterward. Unlike Jaime, Cersei's display never really challenges Tywin's authority.

1) I was just wondering why on earth Mormont thought it was a great idea to take much of the Night's Watch beyond the wall? If he knew the Others were a threat, wouldn't the smart decision be to stay on the wall and keep them at bay? Why go on the offensive directly into their own territory?

I think he did _because_ he knew that the Others were a threat. If the Others are truly an existential threat to Westeros, than a thousand brothers of the Night's Watch won't be enough to stop them. What the NW needs is to rally the Seven Kingdoms against this threat. Without that, they're sunk.

But how to do that? Obviously Mormont's vague feelings of unease aren't enough to convince anybody. You can see that in Tyrion's reaction to Mormont in A Game of Thrones. And even the hand of the wight is more a spooky souvenir than anything really threatening. However, a credible report of an impending assault might make all the difference to the right people--to the lords in the North, for example. It's a chance worth taking, given the lack of alternatives.

And indeed, Mormont's risk paid off. Word reached the right person, Davos, and Stannis came to the Wall.

Why was Sansa's hairpiece so integral to poisoning Joffrey? It feels like a cheesy plot element to me. Why not just pocket one of the poisonous stones from it? The only people that know what it was haven't used it as proof against Sansa or Tyrion. It seems like an unnecessary risk that serves no purpose other than to have Sansa involved more with the death (as if it might revenge the NBRW [Ned Beheading, Red Wedding] -- it's not).

So, what was the point of it? Honestly I may have forgotten.

Why was Sansa's hairpiece so integral to poisoning Joffrey? It feels like a cheesy plot element to me. Why not just pocket one of the poisonous stones from it? The only people that know what it was haven't used it as proof against Sansa or Tyrion. It seems like an unnecessary risk that serves no purpose other than to have Sansa involved more with the death (as if it were revenge the NBRW [Ned Beheading, Red Wedding] -- it's not).

So, what was the point of it? Honestly I may have forgotten.

I'd imagine so that Sansa would be implicated if the method of delivery (the stone) was discovered. And since no one would believe she acted alone, Tyrion as well. Lannisters and Starks dying helps House Martell. Just a guess.

I'd imagine so that Sansa would be implicated if the method of delivery (the stone) was discovered. And since no one would believe she acted alone, Tyrion as well. Lannisters and Starks dying helps House Martell. Just a guess.

As I mentioned in another thread, that doesn't work if someone saw the QoT adjusting the hairnet, that would implicate House Tyrell. I agree with what other posters have said, it was done so LF could make Sansa feel helpless. Anyways, this is not a small question; we have a whole thread devoted to it.

And indeed, Mormont's risk paid off. Word reached the right person, Davos, and Stannis came to the Wall.

Funny thing is, they might have lost 280+ men, but the ranging achieved most of its goals and even more: they found out what happened to the wildlings and Jon brought warning to the Wall before they came, they found out what killed all the patrols, Jon found the secret stashh, and Sam found out by accident what kills Others.

But the Martell's would have to come out and say that Sansa was wearing a hairpiece with poison stones in it, which would be rather suspicious in my opinion.

No, they'd just have to arrange matters so that the hairnet is 'discovered' and the missing crystal noted.

But regardless: the main reason is that LF supplied the poison, so he chose the method by which the QoT would get hold of it. It couldn't be a straight hand-off from LF to the QoT - not with Varys around. It had to be a method that couldn't be connected to either the Tyrells or LF. Using an innocent 'mule' fits their plans perfectly: particularly LF, as it leaves Sansa in his power. I'm pretty sure the QoT would rather have left Sansa out of it, but she had no choice.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Livestock_guardian_dog

I agree. But, pit any kind of dog against a Westerosi direwolf... and I say you get dog steak.

Archived