A Thread for Small Questions IX

Datepalm

Actually, page 520 of AFFC, Maester Aemon while talking about TPTWP:

It was a prince that was promised, not a princess. Rhaegar, I thought . . . the smoke was from the fire that devoured Summerhall on the day of his birth, the salt from the tears shed for those who died.

And? Still no mention of Aegon trying to hatch eggs at Summerhall which caused the fire. Hey, perhaps Rhaegar was being born there and Aegon had cast spells to turn Rhaegar himself into an actual dragon but instead he burst into flames killing everyone! This theory is so wacky it must be true!

The better line to quote would have been when Aemon is dying and rambling. He mentions eggs that would not hatch. Though even then he's not specifying that the eggs were refusing to hatch in any specific situation. The eggs were always not hatching.

And? Still no mention of Aegon trying to hatch eggs at Summerhall which caused the fire. Hey, perhaps Rhaegar was being born there and Aegon had cast spells to turn Rhaegar himself into an actual dragon but instead he burst into flames killing everyone! This theory is so wacky it must be true!

The better line to quote would have been when Aemon is dying and rambling. He mentions eggs that would not hatch. Though even then he's not specifying that the eggs were refusing to hatch in any specific situation. The eggs were always not hatching.

Actually, Alester Florent heavily implies that the Tragedy at Summerhall was caused by attempts to hatch dragons:

Did we learn nothing from Summerhall? No good has ever come from these dreams of dragons, I told Axell as much. My way was better. Surer. And Stannis gave me his seal, he gave me leave to rule. The Hand speaks with the king’s voice.

What was the deal with that? Are we ever told what caused the rift? Am I right in remembering they have, for want of a better word, "divorced"?

Mellario could not get used to Dornish customs. Shortly after the birth of Trystane, Quentyn was sent to be fostered as the ward and squire of Lord Ormond Yronwood. This was done to make peace with the Yronwoods after the previous Lord Yronwood had died of his wounds taken in a duel with Oberyn. Mellario did not approve and went back to Norvos.

There is this quote from the books that I like:

Quentyn had been very young when he was sent to Yronwood; too young, according to their mother. Norvoshi did not foster out their children, and Lady Mellario had never forgiven Prince Doran for taking her son away from her. “I like it no more than you do,” Arianne had overheard her father say, “but there is a blood debt, and Quentyn is the only coin Lord Ormond will accept.”

“Coin?” her mother had screamed. “He is your son. What sort of father uses his own flesh and blood to pay his debts?”

“The princely sort,” Doran Martell had answered.

Was one of the heads that were presented to Cersei, who were claimed as Tyrion's head, the head of the dwarven sparrow, Brienne met in an inn? I think one of the stories there reminded me of him.

Yes.

Are there any theories as to what Robert Arryn's conditions may be, or is it accepted that it isn't based on anything from the real world?

surely it is some type of epilepsy

This has likely been asked before, but do we have any clue what happens to "Weasel", the little girl that travels with Arya for a while? She just runs away at some point and disappears forever was my impression.

I think the best-case scenario is that she is brought up by wolves, and is reunited with Arya when she comes back to get Nymeria.

Why did Tywin not remarry after Joanna´s death or at least after Jaime joined the KG and was lost as heir? A marriage would have presumably secured him a heir (who is not a dwarf and hated by him) and it would have helped him to reach out to other houses like for example the Tyrells and built new alliances.

Anyone an idea?

How many men did Bolton bring from the Dreadfort, when he marched South with Robb?

I would estimate roughly 3-4k. He brought around 3.5k men to the Twins for the RW, though there were apparently some Karstarks there as well.

Why did Tywin not remarry after Joanna´s death or at least after Jaime joined the KG and was lost as heir? A marriage would have presumably secured him a heir (who is not a dwarf and hated by him) and it would have helped him to reach out to other houses like for example the Tyrells and built new alliances.

Anyone an idea?

Love, I would assume.

Anyone an idea?

On the emotional side: Tywin didn't want another heir. He seems to have still been in denial about Jaime's status, still searching for a way to undo what Aerys had done to him, and remarrying would have forced him to face up to that.

On the practical side, who was there to marry? He didn't need to bolster the loyalty of any of his vassals, so that's out. The other Great Houses were also a bust: none had a female relative of the right age, for one thing, and none of them particularly wanted an alliance with him. I can't see Ned, Stannis, Balon, or Doran being all that happy about Tywin marrying into one of their bannermen's families either, even if he were to lower his sights.

On the political side, he had a strong position anyway, married into the Royal Family, and plotting to increase his power via that alliance. Arguably a marriage would actually restrict him, by giving him obligations to another family.

Anyone an idea?

Even if he remarried and had a son I believe Tyrion would still be in line to inherit Casterly Rock. He would be the oldest son with Jaime out of the picture because of the KG. But Tywin said at one point that Tyrion would never inherit the Rock. Not sure how he planned to do that, except finding a way to release Jaime from the KG.

Where is Asshai?

In the last epi of the TV series, Jorah tells Daenerys they must run, and that there is a good port in Asshai they could use. Where the heck is Asshai? I always figured it was really, really far away to the east, but if it's the first place Jorah thinks to go from whereever they are in the Dothraki sea, it can't be that far, can it?

(if this is a TV series specific thing you can tell me that, too).

Where is Asshai?

In the last epi of the TV series, Jorah tells Daenerys they must run, and that there is a good port in Asshai they could use. Where the heck is Asshai? I always figured it was really, really far away to the east, but if it's the first place Jorah thinks to go from whereever they are in the Dothraki sea, it can't be that far, can it?

(if this is a TV series specific thing you can tell me that, too).

no, it's in the books too. From the wiki: "Asshai, often called Asshai-by-the-Shadow, is a port city that borders the Shadow Lands, far to the southeast of the eastern continent." I don't think he ever intended her to go to Westeros (before the dragons), so he wanted to get her to safety in Asshai, far from the reach of Westeros.

Hi, long time lurker here.

Couldn't find mention of this anywhere else, so I had to register to ask this question, as it has been bothering me for a while.

What happened to the man Qhorin Halfhand sent out to reach the wall by himself? I believe his name was Stonesnake. He was one of the best trackers in the Night's Watch or something, and I can't recall ever finding out what happened to him. All the other men Qhorin sent out were found by the wildlings I seem to remember, but not Stonesnake.

Could he be Coldhands?

Archived