[NO SPOILERS] Funniest Reactions

TheEvilKing

Thanks very much for the oh so friendly reply. Rest assured the feeling is mutual.

Regardless of how he did it, I still very much prefer that he made his exit with his honor intact.

Sacrificing your daughters to preserve your "honor" is kind of dishonorable, no?

Sacrificing your daughters to preserve your "honor" is kind of dishonorable, no?

Gah! I already covered that. I obviously didn't want him to hand over his daughters to be killed but I wish GRRM wrote it in a way to avoid lying at the end. He didn't and I have to accept that but I wish he wrote it slightly different.

I just wanted to say that even though I read the books multiple times and knew what was coming in this episode, my reaction was so much stronger watching the show than it was reading the books. Leading up to the beheading, I just had this sinking feeling in my stomach and I was trembling. After it happened I actually started sobbing!! They really did a good job with that scene.

Gah! I already covered that. I obviously didn't want him to hand over his daughters to be killed but I wish GRRM wrote it in a way to avoid lying at the end. He didn't and I have to accept that but I wish he wrote it slightly different.

I know what you are saying and I agree up to a point. I know I wished for the same thing. But that moment demonstrates an important character trait of Lord Eddard Stark.

On a personal note. I hold myself to a fairly high standard. there are things I will not do under any circumstances usually. But I'm also a parent. If it meant that my sons would have even a slim chance of survival. I would cheerfully lie, straight faced while doing the hokey pokey. And so much more... there are somethings you do for your blood that you would never consider, on any other ordinary day.

To me (once you get over the shock of the lie) it makes him more of a hero in that moment. He sacrificed himself completely, his personality, his honour, his life. To give his daughters that one tiny chance of survival.. It was worth it to him.

I know what you are saying and I agree up to a point. I know I wished for the same thing. But that moment demonstrates an important character trait of Lord Eddard Stark.

On a personal note. I hold myself to a fairly high standard. there are things I will not do under any circumstances usually. But I'm also a parent. If it meant that my sons would have even a slim chance of survival. I would cheerfully lie, straight faced while doing the hokey pokey. And so much more... there are somethings you do for your blood that you would never consider, on any other ordinary day.

To me (once you get over the shock of the lie) it makes him more of a hero in that moment. He sacrificed himself completely, his personality, his honour, his life. To give his daughters that one tiny chance of survival.. It was worth it to him.

After letting things sink in for a couple of days I see the wisdom of this point of view more and more. And yes, as the parent of two young boys, I know I would do anything to keep them safe. I suppose, since this is a work of fiction, that I wish it could have worked out more to my liking. It is a selfish thought of course, but an honest one.

One of the things that pains me about Sean Bean's portrayal of Ned Stark is the way he captures confusion at the moment of betrayal. It was on his face when Littlefinger turned on him at the throne and it was on his face when that sniveling false king Joffrey condemned him. There's something about that initial confusion that makes it seem all the more real and all the more heartbreaking. I just got done watching the end of the episode for a second time and the way he composes himself and offers no resistance does prove to give him a courageous and honorable death.

I'm still ticked though.

One of the things that pains me about Sean Bean's portrayal of Ned Stark is the way he captures confusion at the moment of betrayal. It was on his face when Littlefinger turned on him at the throne and it was on his face when that sniveling false king Joffrey condemned him. There's something about that initial confusion that makes it seem all the more real and all the more heartbreaking. I just got done watching the end of the episode for a second time and the way he composes himself and offers no resistance does prove to give him a courageous and honorable death.

I'm still ticked though.

It was poignant down in the black cells when Lord Stark tells Varys: 'I was raised with soldiers. I learned how to die a long time ago.' R.I.P., good man.

:crying:

He said in his video description he's not giving up at some point last night. So he'll at least watch the next episode.

Yeah,

I don't think he'll be able to stay away even though he wants to. He's invested too much time and emotion miss the final episode.

I missed a couple reviews but loved his nerd rage remarks over Jaime and Ned's fight getting ruined by interference by the guard..I also like his comments about hating spoilers. It is true even when people make certain comments without actually telling you anything, it's still might spoil things. at least this Ned part wasn't spoiled for him.

I came across the Ned spoiler before I finished the first book just by someone saying not to get attached to Ned, geez, a gradeschool kid could figure out what that means. I just didn't know how it was going to happen so I did a marathon read of the first book before I heard or read anything else. . I am extra careful now what I read or what sites I go to. I'm on book 2 and reading them all before anything else gets ruined.

I don't agree w/ OtakuAssemble AKA Larry's perspective, but I admire and enjoy his passion and enthusiasm.

HBO pulling this off, putting an entire campaign around a character who's not gonna last till the season finale. That's just audacious, brilliant, and the kind of thing that continues to make HBO essential. Love it.

But, to pay tribute to Larry's (hopefully temporary) rage, I made this:

gameofthrones.jpg

http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/1835/gameofthrones.jpg

(hmm, evidently I don't know how to embed or if it's even allowed. sorry)

I don't agree w/ OtakuAssemble AKA Larry's perspective, but I admire and enjoy his passion and enthusiasm.

HBO pulling this off, putting an entire campaign around a character who's not gonna last till the season finale. That's just audacious, brilliant, and the kind of thing that continues to make HBO essential. Love it.

gameofthrones.jpg

That's fabulous! Hopefully you sent it to him? He'll make it a poster on his wall, I don't doubt. Very nicely done!

gameofthrones.jpg

Your first try, under the this, worked just fine.

gameofthrones.jpg

Brilliant!

From the ew.com article comments

I can’t believe that happened! I was only watching this show because of Khal’s horse. Now that he’s dead I’m quitting this show and canceling HBO.

There's also this guy who recorded

at the final scene.

Truth be told, I suspect it may be fake. Looks too staged, IMO. Not sure about this one.

Hah, she wasn't that over the top, I have no reason to disbelieve that one.

"If they kill Drogo, I'm dropping this f---ing series. Seriously. I'm dropping this f---ing series. You can't take both of 'em! I shit you not. George R.R. Martin, you are a sick, cruel, twisted individual. May God have mercy on your soul."

Hilarious.

But looking at the other reviews, he does seem generally happy with the series.

OMFG that is fantastic! That must be sent to him.

I've updated my sig in honor of Larry's reaction. It was too awesome. Two months ago to the Game of Thrones community he was just a guy who kinda endearingly and enthusiastically stumbled over house names and plot summaries, and look how much he's grown :) Seriously, the number of television shows capable of eliciting that kind of reaction are few and far between.

Yeah, funny, but...

(A Storm of Swords spoilers)

you know the part where the officer tugs at his collar nervously? Before that, I would have totally have Hitler say, "well, at least his son will live on as the King in the North to avenge him!" :D Or, with the woman crying, I would have written, "don't worry, Tyrion doesn't die at least" or something.

I LOLed @ "Stannis" instead of Stalin, though.

Archived