Fantasy on HBO

Xenophon

Not sure if anyone's commented on this yet, but HBO's announced plans for a long-running series based on Neil Gaiman's American Gods. Obviously, American Gods will be a different sort of fantasy from GoT, but what do you think of HBO deciding to run a second fantasy series? Is this a case of following a larger trend towards the genre on television, or is HBO trying to position itself as a leader in this niche? Is it a good fit for the network?

Perhaps more importantly, as Alyssa Rosenberg points out here, this news should be reassuring for people worried about GoT's long-term viability. Obviously Tom Hanks' production company brings some extra clout, but still an open-ended commitment to a new fantasy series looks like they are pleased with how Thrones is doing.

And of course let's not forget True Blood, the series primarily responsible for convincing the HBO execs that there was good money to be made in fantasy. Going back even further, Carnivale had some great fantasy elements to it as well.

And of course let's not forget True Blood, the series primarily responsible for convincing the HBO execs that there was good money to be made in fantasy. Going back even further, Carnivale had some great fantasy elements to it as well.

Good point. It's interesting how they started with the more economically "proven" vampire genre and are branching out. I wonder how widely a range of fantasy they'll end up trying out.

With aSoIaF, American Gods and the recent-ish Discworld adaptations on TV, my fantasy geek aspect is being spoiled. All I need now is for the Goid Omens movie to be restarted, Mortal Engines to get a movie series and Stephen King to adapt the Dark tower to a screen. TV or cinema, I'll take either

Archived