[TV SPOILERS] Post Certain Ep 9 Events - The Long-Term Viability of GoT

The Knight of Grasses

As long as the cgi looks good, I think we will have a finale with a lot of excitement.

Also,

there will be Tyrion headed to Kings Landing to straighten Joff out, I think that will be handled with heavy emphasis on Tyrion taking charge of things and correcting mistakes and will keep people interested in next season

as well as the Starks winning the war. I think that the series will end with a hint of excitement about the coming season and with a promise of vengeance for the Starks. Season 2 will be the key to the series survival.

If the add the sentence

Im going to do justice

then we have a winner.

I have no idea why you think there would be no investment in other characters. I had a friend write me today and say "I like how they transitioned the focus from Ned to Robb." Dany, Tyrion and Jon, at minimum, get as much screen time. Yes, none are as noble, but most are more entertaining.

Yes, Robb is the hope of house stark. That means the starks can still win (and they have Jaime).

The First two I don't think are legitimate at all,

The second two though, yah, they need to work on that for the second season

A lot of things in this adaptation don't make any sense...How Tywin's scouts can mistake 2,000 for 20,000 for instance. How Roz can teleport to King's landing. Or how Tyrion and Bronn survive with no food or horses in the Vale.

I think many devastated viewers will find that they are emotionally attached to the series when things calm down. Good art really moves you, both for good and bad, and from the reaction I've seen among non-readers this death has touched them more than almost any other in film and TV history. That's good writing and I think that the disappointment will turn into curiosity.

As a side note I want to give props to TripleOZero for warning about the Deadwood spoiler. Some morons don't understand that you don't spoil other shows freely and I've had some shows I've been interested in spoiled on this board. Now I've already seen Deadwood but I still appreciated the warning and good deeds should be noticed.

Hopefully people will understand that their shock and rage and grief is a good thing.

However, I respect that some people simply don't want that in their entertainment. I had a conversation with a guy (in relation to different material) that he had enough real tragedy in his life that he wasn't looking for it on the screen.

What disturbs me most is the lack of sophistication and the sense of entitlement of the viewing public. I mean, by the part was so upset by Ned's death: their criticism are far from legitimate. ASoIaF has a story. If you do not like it stop watching the show: no one is forcing you.

You're being unfair and unrealistic. I bet a ton of readers had the same reaction, it's just it wasn't everyone all at once, spamming twitter/blogs/etc. In addition, we readers could immediately move on to the next chapter and read the conclusion, where the TV audience that has not read the books has a week to stew before getting the conclusion to the season.

People are reacting in the heat of the moment, and the depth of the reaction is an indication that the audience is truly hooked. Perhaps a small percentage of viewers (those who came only for Sean Bean, for example) might be done, but I am confident the vast majority of the most vocally negative are just as hooked as we are.

I think the tv show will lose some viewers the same way there are plenty of readers out there who stopped reading because they got sick of getting attached to characters and then watching them die. People have different needs for their entertainment.

That said, I think Ned's death will really help GOT's reputation as a groundbreaking, rulebreaking tv show, and that will attract viewers. Entertainment Weekly called it "one of the most shocking twists in TV history." That's gonna attract some attention. People will want to see what the fuss is about. Non-reader viewers are gonna make new people watch, just so they can see their reaction when Ned dies:)

When GOT first premiered, there were naysayers who said, "looks like just another fantasy show to me." And fans exercised great self restraint in not saying, "but major characters get killed!!" Now word will get out, and maybe some people who weren't initially attracted will take a second look.

Also, I think plenty of viewers got attached to other characters like Arya and Tyrion. They're really curious about what's beyond the wall, and want to see the Starks get revenge. By the end of Ep 10, I think plenty of people are going to want to find out what happens next.

well the non-readers that i've talked to all said ned was their favorite by far. sure they liked jon and tyrion, but ned was the man. also, i didn't say he was the only character i felt non-readers cared about. what i did say was i got the impression that they didn't care enough about the other characters to keep watching. since there is only one episode left i'm sure alot of people will tune in for it. but the second season is already been green-lit so who cares. we'll at least get two seasons.

It wasn't that I don't believe there are people like that out there, but you (and others) are acting like this will be a ratings apocalypse ("vast majority"). I'll believe it when I see it.

I suppose it's possible that my friends are more likely to accept / be enthralled by a plot twist like this, but I doubt it.

Are there a lot of such hardcore Ned-fans? When I read the book, I liked Ned because he is a good guy, and I rooted for him to succeed with his investigation. But he was never my favorite, and I guess most readers (and viewers) like Tyrion and/or Arya best - like I did.

I was a hardcore Ned fan. I loved his refusal to compromise his principles (except for the sake of his daughters' lives at the very end). I loved that he wouldn't get involved in the game. He was definitely my favorite character. I was very upset when he died.

So I can easily see how there would be plenty of people who really got behind Ned in the TV series as well. He was the good guy who was easy to root for.

Hopefully people will understand that their shock and rage and grief is a good thing.

However, I respect that some people simply don't want that in their entertainment. I had a conversation with a guy (in relation to different material) that he had enough real tragedy in his life that he wasn't looking for it on the screen.

I almost quit the show Lost for similar reasons. I was entertained through season 3, but then they kept asking more questions and creating more mysteries without giving us answers. There was all this extra online stuff that you could watch and read to help you understand. I was thinking, "What the hell? This is a TV show. I don't want to have to do homework for it to be enjoyable!" I ultimately stayed with it because the writing and acting was good, but I know several people who abandoned it.

I hope it was merely a vocal minority who expressed their disgust, and that most who are upset will stick around to see a good story. I'm more confident of that today than I was yesterday. You all have allayed my fears somewhat.

I think many devastated viewers will find that they are emotionally attached to the series when things calm down. Good art really moves you, both for good and bad, and from the reaction I've seen among non-readers this death has touched them more than almost any other in film and TV history.

Seriously? Now I wish I hadn't read the books... I'd think the tv series is spectacular!

Also, I think plenty of viewers got attached to other characters like Arya and Tyrion. They're really curious about what's beyond the wall, and want to see the Starks get revenge. By the end of Ep 10, I think plenty of people are going to want to find out what happens next.

THIS!!!

I know several non-readers who are watching the series and all have been hugely impressed. Several are now reading the books. One of them is reading them because he wants to see 'that little shit Joffrey bite it' and refuses to wait for the series to find out if this actually happens and said that for a few moments after watching it he actually understood those people who play shout at soap actors in the streets. He swears if Jack Gleeson had been in the room he would have decked him.

My Dad was a bit shocked by the manner of his passing but not actually surprised that it happened and my brother had been calling him 'Dead Ned Walking' for weeks. Dad actually made point I've thought for a long time. Game of Thrones is about clearing out the old men, their war was done 15 years earlier, this is a young man (or woman's) war, the rest of the books/series will be about seeing how that plays out. Everyone I know who is watching wants to keep going.

Something I have noticed though, it is not Ned's death that is the kicker for my friends and relatives. Up until he died many of them were actually pointing out how stupid/naive/dumb they thought Ned was and how he'd have to change his tactics or take a hard fall. They liked him but saw him as a noble fool and possibly a bit of a relic. What really got them was Joffrey's betrayal contrasted with Ned's nobility at the very end. Suddenly they are utterly apoplectic and want VENGEANCE, NOW, IN BIG CAPITAL LETTERS.

Seriously? Now I wish I hadn't read the books... I'd think the tv series is spectacular!

I would hope that the death in the book gave you a similar feeling and being sold on a book series is always better than being sold on a TV series as the book medium is significantly deeper than anything shown on a screen.

I wouldn't worry about viewers leaving the show because of a character death, if they care so much it means that they love the show, and that's a good thing! If on the other hand no one complained about Ned's death it would have been a bad sign.

Plus, plenty of interesting things should happen in the final episode of this season, those will keep the viewers interested I'm sure.

Strong feelings are what makes a hit show. Almost no-one will quit the show because of Ned's death, but many will swear they will, which should get others to watch the repeats to see what the fuss is about. Result = big viewing figures next year.

Those who do not like sad or tragic shows will never like ASOIAF. It is not 100% bleak and cynical, but those elements are woven through the whole story. They can't be lost viewers because they'd have never liked it anyway, without completely neutering the story and removing all the drama.

I have several friends who haven't read the books. Their reactions to Ned's early demise was mixed, some saw it coming, some just stared at the screen in disbelief, and a couple even cried. But none of them said they would quit watching, quite to the contrary, if anything this shocking twist strengthened their dedication to the show (and their hatred towards Joffrey :D).

Of course there will always be those that gets so upset that they quit watching, but TV shows have lost viewers over lesser things. I have firm belief that most will tune in to the last episode, and with all the buzz I'll bet they'll attract even more viewers. When season 2 arrives I think the show will have a really strong fanbase, and if it can keep up with the quality of season one, I'm pretty sure we'll see a third season.

Well, it is one of the best books Ive ever readed.

The best TV show Ive ever seen is Babylon 5 and GoT hasnt beat it, at least not yet (and probabily wont since I already know all the story).

An amazing book beats an amazing series always.

I would hope that the death in the book gave you a similar feeling and being sold on a book series is always better than being sold on a TV series as the book medium is significantly deeper than anything shown on a screen.

A lot of things in this adaptation don't make any sense...How Tywin's scouts can mistake 2,000 for 20,000 for instance. How Roz can teleport to King's landing. Or how Tyrion and Bronn survive with no food or horses in the Vale.

A lot of things in any TV show don't make sense, even excellent TV shows. Hell a lot of things from the books don't make any sense either. Sounds like you and your friends are nitpicking for the sake of nitpicking.

Also, the show clearly shows Tyrion and Bronn with food. And once they meet up with the hill tribes, seems pretty easy to get out of the Vale. It's not a very far distance from the Eyrie to the Trident, and there's a well-traveled road the entire way.

Archived