Exercise & Fitness

Greywolf2375

And to continue...

Nothing really to note of change yet except how I feel in general. Knowing that I can actually look forward to a workout and expect to enjoy it rather than having to tapdance around certain types of actions is such a nice difference.

hey Greywolf, I wasn't caught up in the previous thread so I've missed your recent updates, but good for you for looking forward to a workout is half the battle in my mind!

I've somehow managed to kick my own ass so badly at the gym this week that I can barely walk. this is the second time I've done this recently and I don't remember ever doing it before. I hadn't done lunges for quite some time (I find them boring and tedious) but recently I thought I should do them for a while. so, twice now, I've done them with a small amount of weight (20lbs) on a bar. I used to do more weight than that with no problems. and when I'm doing it its not a huge strain at all. but both times I wake up the next day and can barely walk. literally... this isn't typical post-workout soreness, its way worse. going down stairs is incredibly painful (which sucks cause I'm in 4 floor walk up and then need to get down into the subway to get to work). I did this on Tue morning, and I still am in much pain. I walk like I'm an ancient person (I'm sure I'm older than the average age on this board but I'm not THAT old! lol) I'm so pathetic I'm amused at myself. but I wish I could figure out how/why I can do this to myself. :blushing: maybe next time I can walk to the gym (!) I'll try just doing lunges for a while with bodyweight? I dunno. we'll see.

hope you all are getting some good workouts in!

My wii fit Piggy Bank changed colors last night, indicating that over the last year I've used it for a grand total of... drumroll... ten Hours! heh.

I'm doing the 100 Pushups challenge again. Last time I quit after week five and did 68 on my final test, hoping to smash that this time.

And I figured, what the hell, make a nice round workout of it and do the 200 Crunches, 200 Squats, 150 Dips, 50 Pullups challenge as well. The Dips are not real dips, they're coffee Table dips, but they're better than nothing and I can feel it hit my triceps pretty good, but nothing like proper dips.

Doing all five takes about an hour, but I can do the whole thing in my apartment while listening to music or an audiobook. Since I don't have an ipod/mp3 player that works, this is better than the gym. :D

My initial tests were pretty pathetic imo:

Pushups: 24

Crunches: 38

Dips: 17

Squats: 36

Pullups: 6

Next max rep tests are in two weeks. :D

Fucking fucknuts, I decided to go down to the group run even though it was 45 minutes away, got stuck in construction traffic, caught every light just as it had turned red, and got stuck behind a minivan going 15 mph in the no pass. Screw this, I'm going to find dinner instead.

You will never ever find me in a crossfit gym :P

Poo Poo to you lucas! I remember when Stego was saying the same thing.

You might at least go check one of the strength days. It's not all MetCons. Sometimes its just lift heavy shit.

All my fucking post keep getting deleted by the Mods, so i'm going to stop, in fear that some of my jokes might get interpreted as me being mean to you and get zapped.

Fucking fucknuts, I decided to go down to the group run even though it was 45 minutes away, got stuck in construction traffic, caught every light just as it had turned red, and got stuck behind a minivan going 15 mph in the no pass. Screw this, I'm going to find dinner instead.

that seriously sucks, Eponine! sometimes things seem to just conspire to keep you from exercise. :worried:

hope you had a good dinner at least!

I want you all to be terrified for the future of this world... I've begun coaching kids. Yeah, I know.

I went to the Northeast Regionals of the CrossFit Games this past weekend. It was an amazing experience. There are some serious athletes coming out of the Northeast, and I would not be surprised if our top man and top team both win first place in the world.

My CrossFit level 1 cert is this coming weekend. Seven months ago I was swearing never to set foot in a CrossFit gym. Things change, Luke.

ETA: Also, I PR'd my deadlift and broke 600lbs. I'm pretty happy with that. Also, for the crossfit folks, I finally have double unders. Finally.

Stego - I saw your pictures. Kettlebell-swinging Jesus, I wish I had arms like your coach's.

Congrats on your PR (600!!! FFFFF.) and your <insert tons of expletives here> double unders, and good luck with your cert! I am sure you will be absolutely fine. You've been studying the info already, right? Even aside from just what you've gotten out of your own experience?

Babygirl (12 yrs old last week!) went with me to the gym the last two days. Yesterday she did the gorilla class with me. (I was super proud!). She kept up with all us oldsters. We did a body weight challenge, so no equipment, just ourselves. Air squats, push ups, mountain climbers, jacks, burpees (yuck), plank up/downs, SLDLs, stickups. We went for 30 mins. Five reps of each. She did three reps on the burpees, climbers and up/downs and still had almost as many total reps as I did. We both finished 9 rounds plus.

She was very sore today and decided to just ride the bike. Probably a good idea because the trainer tried to kill us today. :) She biked for 40 mins and was really sweaty so I know she wasn't slacking.

It's fun working out with her.

congrats on your recent accomplishments Stego! honestly, the weights you talk about are so far beyond what I can imagine lifting I have a hard time understanding what you're saying sometimes! lol but it sure seems like lately you've made some serious progress. Its inspiring.

oh, and you coaching kids is totally awesome. Hope you get some sleep soon~

All well on the exercise front: - getting a lot of hillwalking in for my raptor work. As we're talking Scotland, that's some pretty rough terrain. Been camping and hiking a lot as well, nothing like the marines, but still 20kg in similarly rough terrain is definitely not a bad workout. Recently been up some good mountains with my dad who, at 63, is still going strong with that amount on his back! Here is hoping I'll be emulating that in 30 years time.

Running a couple of times a week for as much time as I can squeeze in between work and social life - currently around 6:40 per mile (as it seems that's what you all convert it to - weirdos). Been asked to partake in weekly badminton/squash events - love to pick that up again.

All I need to sort out now is to somehow make some time to get into a proper gym and put on some more kilos. I am about to transfer to a nearby office as opposed the 1.5hr one-way commute office so there is some light at the end of the scheduling tunnel... we'll see.

Nice one, Stego, you madman! :thumbsup:

Man, the past few weeks had been going real well. I did a 3, 5, 3, and 8 miler in week one. Felt good.

Ran 3, 5, 3, and 9 miles on week two. Still good. (though the 9 miler was tough, and humid as hell)

Also did strength training during those weeks.

Then, during my recovery week. DISASTER. Struck down by a helluva cold. Coughing. Fever. All that shit.

So I took two days off from work and running. Today I'm back at work. I've missed two days of running. A 3 and a 5 mile run.

I could try and run a 3 today... but I'm not sure I should. I don't think I'm fully recovered. Walking around the city today, I felt suddenly felt insanely hungry and started sweating, even though its only 67 degrees in Chicago.

So I'm not sure if I should run, but I also don't want to lose too much of the gains I've been making. Its PERFECT running weather. And I could probably gut out 3 miles, but I also don't want to make myself sick.

Any advice would be appreciated.

ETA: Stego, just to add a voice to the crowd, you're a frickin' hoss man! Nice work.

Could you break it into multiple smaller runs? Do 1 or 1.5 in the morning, and another in the evening? I know some plans say it's the total mileage that counts, not doing it all at once, but I know that others are focused specifically on the endurance aspect.

OTOH, I have a feeling that you know yourself well enough that if you're not sure you should run, you probably shouldn't. (That sentence makes sense in my head, but maybe not to anybody else, so let me know if I'm confusing.)

Archived