Exercise & Fitness

Greywolf2375

This morning 13.1 miles in 1:59:54. This was onthe lakeshore in Chicago. So zero elevation change and unlike my normal runs, I was running with a thousand other people. For me it was almost like race conditions. I was just really feeling it today. My confidence is thru the roof.

Dude, you're a beast! Nice work. Sorry I couldn't make it out. Did 11 miles the following day in the pouring rain on the Lakeshore path and wondered how your run went. Saw a rainbow while running.

Had a pretty decent week myself so far. Easy run of 4 miles at 10:30 pace. Workout of 8 miles yesterday at race pace. Race pace for the marathon (for me) will most likely be 10:00 per mile--which I managed perfectly. Legs felt a little tired at the end, because I think I started out too quick. Anyway, felt great though.

17 miles this Saturday. I just checked the weather. Its supposed to be high 60's and pouring rain in the morning. I'm pumped! That should be perfect.

I bought myself some shiny new boots for the new rugby season today, which I'm inordinately excited about. On the downside one of the studs has snapped off so I've spent the last two hours trying to get the bloody screw bit out of the boot.

I registered for the Columbus Marathon this morning. It's Oct. 16. Lots of positive feedback and encouragement led me to decide to just go for it. So instead of tapering the next few weeks, I'll keep piling on the miles. Looking over the Higdon Novice 1 program I am right on track for Week 10. I've been stressing about this the whole weekend and realized that I was just afraid of failing. I feel like I've exceeded my goals for the 1/2 program and I didn't want to fall on my face. Once I recognized that it was fear, I couldn't not do it. So now I have a new goal and reason to keep running after Sept 18th. I'm feeling pretty positive about finishing and keeping a decent pace. Just gotta stay healthy and focused for another 10 weeks.

Had a great 17 mile run Saturday. Very good weather conditions. Averaged a bit over 11 minutes per mile. Felt relaxed the whole time.

I registered for the Columbus Marathon this morning. It's Oct. 16. Lots of positive feedback and encouragement led me to decide to just go for it. So instead of tapering the next few weeks, I'll keep piling on the miles. Looking over the Higdon Novice 1 program I am right on track for Week 10. I've been stressing about this the whole weekend and realized that I was just afraid of failing. I feel like I've exceeded my goals for the 1/2 program and I didn't want to fall on my face. Once I recognized that it was fear, I couldn't not do it. So now I have a new goal and reason to keep running after Sept 18th. I'm feeling pretty positive about finishing and keeping a decent pace. Just gotta stay healthy and focused for another 10 weeks.

That's great dude! I think you're on track for it. Your pacing and mileage just keeps improving! These next few weeks just will up the mileage, but if you go it slow and relaxed, and take your rest days (can't emphasize how important those are) you'll be on track.

Remember, its your first one, so you have nothing to lose. You're gonna do great!

Thanks alg. :cheers: I appreciate the encouragement. I'm just planning to do my best and enjoy it.

Sounds like you are feeling good about your race. Do you have a time goal you're trying to beat this year?

I registered for the Columbus Marathon this morning. It's Oct. 16. Lots of positive feedback and encouragement led me to decide to just go for it.

Congrats! I'm running the NYC Marathon in November and am also following (sort of) one of Higdon's plans, though travel and injury have made me a bit unfaithful the past 3 weeks. Ran 10 miles for the first time in close to a year today and felt pretty good about it.

It has not been a good couple of days.

Sunday. Failed (again) to break the 6 minute mile. Everything was fine until the last 800 metres, just could not physically make my legs move faster. Grr. Starting to wonder if I'll ever beat this bastard.

Tonight. Misread the entry in my training plan and ran what was supposed to be 3 miles at 8:30 per mile at 7:30 per mile. Grrrrrrrr. Think I'll call that a tempo run and take tomorrow off.

Thanks alg. :cheers: I appreciate the encouragement. I'm just planning to do my best and enjoy it.

Sounds like you are feeling good about your race. Do you have a time goal you're trying to beat this year?

My basic goal is to destroy my sorry time last year of 5:56 which, unless it's another freaky 80 degree day in October, I'm quite confident of doing.

Even if it is hot, I've been doing some training runs in the heat just to prep for it in case. The result is that 70 degrees feels cool and 65 and below feels amazing.

So far, most of my long runs have been shaping up to about 11 minutes per mile. I've also notice I've been getting faster. So I'm hoping for somewhere between 4:30 and 4:55. If I was faster than 4:30, which on a really good day might happen, I'd be ecstatic. We'll see how the rest of my training goes!

i've gotten big and fat the last 2 weeks, i am in the middle of 27 days with only 2 off and all of them are a minimum of 12 hour days, most are 14-16. i'm eating shit in police canteens and have no energy or motivation for training. my whole body is craving fruit and excercise.

expecting this to last until at least sept 4th so i will have a killer first couple of sessions when i finally have some free time. swim, bike or running to start back into it?

I just started a new job (first official engineering job out of college, w00t) and the commute + work is killing my want to lift after work. So, I thought I'd move my workout to the AM. This morning I woke up, ate cereal, went to the gym, and halfway into my second exercise (deadlift, db bench press, pull ups) I started feeling nauseous and now I feel like I really need to throw up. I'm not sure if it was the fact that it was an early morning workout, that fact that I went directly after breakfast, or the fact that I switched my deadlifts from 3x3 to 3x5 (which also made me drop the weight by 25% but may have actually been harder). Ughhhhh

Best of luck!

Thanks Stego :cheers:

If I was faster than 4:30, which on a really good day might happen, I'd be ecstatic. We'll see how the rest of my training goes!

I put my expected time as 5 hours for purposes of start corral since I honestly have no idea. If I break 4:30 I'll be dancing in the streets (or more likely writhing in pain :P). Like I said, this one is all about the experience so that next marathon I can crush my PR.

So my little brother won 2 free registrations for the Ruckus Run(obstacle course/mud run) in Columbus next Saturday. Tho I am a little worried about risk of injury, I'm going to do it for fun. He's not really in shape so we agreed to go slow and help each other over the harder obstacles. I feel like I've been doing all this "serious" training, it'll be nice to do something fun. :D

tomorrow i'm running 20k at 5'30"/km.

it's the longest i've run in a while (since half-marathon 2 months ago) and it will probably be 25-30 degrees (celsius) at the time i'm doing it.

yaaaay, fun of distance running in the summertime <_<

I've lived in a building with 19 floors for a couple of months now. My latest piece of fun is go up the stairs again and again and again...

Climbed (be my rough calculations) 1860ft or so yesterday. This leaves me feeling absurdly pleased with the simplicity of it. The only annoyance is when other people have the temerity to use the life, so I have to wait longer to catch the lift down to the bottom. Grrr!

I hate running on a treadmill! For whatever reason, I just can't run longer than about 2 miles. It's totally a mental thing, I know.

Anyway, I'll be glad once it stops "feeling like" over 100 and I can start running outside again!

18 mile run yesterday morning. Temp was bad, but it was still quite humid and I was feeling rough by the end of it. Started out at 9:45 per mile. Finished at like 12:30 per mile.

Brutal. Ran too fast between miles 12 and 15. Should have paced myself better.

Anyway, next two weeks should be nice. Swimming laps today for a half hour.

i need to start paying attention to what i eat the night before my long runs.

yesterday i skipped dinner and this morning i realized why that's not a good idea ;)

after 15-16km i had no aches and pains, nor was i out of breath, but i just couldn't pick up the pace.

it was like i ran out of fuel.

still, i completed 20km assigned for today so it wasn't that bad even though i couldn't do it at assigned pace

Archived