Exercise & Fitness

Greywolf2375

Okay. Finished DwD. Looked at various threads on Jon and Dany and Theon and Lord Manderly. Got bored.

Time to join the Fitness and Exercise thread! I think if we can just manage to get Stego arrested and sent up to the Wall, all of Westeros's problems will be solved. Take that you wights!

In the meantime, I have taken to walking around the 32 acres that it our yard every morning and swimming in our really cold local lake. My aim is to work up to a really slow and mellow Olympic distance personal triathalon: 1 mile swim, 25 miles bike, 10 miles walk. The swim will be the easiest part for me, even in the cold.

alg - I sent you a PM while the system was briefly up. Smegma and Lady N have my contact info if you want to run Sat. morning

19 miles in the last 3 days. All under 10 min mile. I'm feeling it. :)

Scraped my shins up pretty bad today doing deadlifts. Now my right shit burns a bit and is really red. Anyone have a solution for this? If not now, at least for the future.

Edit: by solution I mean something to soothe the pain.

Scraped my shins up pretty bad today doing deadlifts. Now my right shit burns a bit and is really red. Anyone have a solution for this? If not now, at least for the future.

Edit: by solution I mean something to soothe the pain.

You know that I want to make a comment about 'growing a pair' or something like that, right? :P

Neosporin with Pain Relief will work perfectly. I suggest you run it under the shower first until it stops stinging, then use the Neosporin.

ETA: Also, soccer socks and just regular knee-high socks work to keep your DNA off of the bars.

But hey, at least you are keeping the bar c lose to your midline!

You know that I want to make a comment about 'growing a pair' or something like that, right? :P

Neosporin with Pain Relief will work perfectly. I suggest you run it under the shower first until it stops stinging, then use the Neosporin.

ETA: Also, soccer socks and just regular knee-high socks work to keep your DNA off of the bars.

But hey, at least you are keeping the bar c lose to your midline!

I was fully expecting something like that. But my thought process is why endure discomfort when there is no need. I don't have any high socks but I may need to buy some for deadlift days.

I never see the weightlifters in my gym workout with shorts and almost never some of the strongmen use shorts on deadlift days. Just bring the sweat pants of something for deadlift days.

Personally I know I need to get the bar closer on deadlifts my form isn't that great at all. It has become one of my favorite exercises lately so I will work on it as the weight improves.

Had an OK week. My plan was to wake up early for pre-work workouts. I am without a gym for a while, and I've had a month off, so I was keeping it simple: a few pushups, situps and squats, and then a short run (aiming on 25 miles for the week). I made it 3 days (12 miles - but I'm still planning for another 6 tomorrow) before my legs needed a rest, and I decided that I hate morning workouts. I'm going back to nights.

So, I'm looking for some good, no equipment (not even a bar for pullups) strength building exercises, if anyone would be kind enough to make me some suggestions.

How about this?

Or feet elevated diamond push ups, one arm pushups.

You can try handstand pushups, but they seem dangerous (break your neck etc).

I think the planche and handstand pushups are both just a pinch beyond my ability. Not sure if that's something I'd even care to work toward.

The other 2 though, might be worth a try.

I never see the weightlifters in my gym workout with shorts and almost never some of the strongmen use shorts on deadlift days. Just bring the sweat pants of something for deadlift days.

I work out in a powerlifting gym and I've never seen anyone wear pants. (But then, we're in a warehouse with no AC.)

Had an OK week. My plan was to wake up early for pre-work workouts. I am without a gym for a while, and I've had a month off, so I was keeping it simple: a few pushups, situps and squats, and then a short run (aiming on 25 miles for the week). I made it 3 days (12 miles - but I'm still planning for another 6 tomorrow) before my legs needed a rest, and I decided that I hate morning workouts. I'm going back to nights.

So, I'm looking for some good, no equipment (not even a bar for pullups) strength building exercises, if anyone would be kind enough to make me some suggestions.

How about some yoga?

I work out in a powerlifting gym and I've never seen anyone wear pants. (But then, we're in a warehouse with no AC.)

I train in a weight lifting club so there might be a difference there but different gym probably have different cultures. I started training there again after arount ten years of absence and there are almost no powerlifters left but there is a lot of strongmen. Not sure if it is local or if powerlifting is dying here in Sweden.

Push ups, with increasing elevations as you get stronger

Planche progressions

Press handstand progressions

V-ups

Planks

If you can get a hold of 1 or 2 magazines, there are a number of things you can do using them like furniture sliders. Some fabric and cardboard also work--anything that will slide along the floor

Inchworms (start touching your toes, walk your hands out, push ups of some combination, walk feet up, repeat)

Squat jumps

Dynamic lunges

Handstand shoulder shrugs

Handstand, block through your shoulders to your feet

Handstand holds against the wall, belly to the wall, toes are the only thing that touch

One legged squats

Lunges with one leg elevated

One foot calf raises (bonus if you can just find something heavy to hold while you're doing it)

Cherry pickers (lie in a hollow or pike position with shoulders and feet off the ground, touch the ground to your side with the opposite hand)

Hollow, arch, and side rocks

Tricep dips if you have a chair

I'd love some suggestions for bicep exercises and more upper back exercises that don't involve any equipment.

So I decided that I absolutely must start working out again in some form to keep myself sane, but since it's still murderous to try to run outside here, I had to suck it up and run on the treadmill. Which I hate--it's totally mental, but I just cannot run as far on a treadmill. It seems SO much longer than running outside, and I usually run slower too. It's frustrating, but better than nothing.

But the treadmill was head-on facing a mirrored wall, and I noticed that my knees have a tendency to point inward when I run. As far as I can tell, I'm not splaying my feet. Is this normal?? Have I been running horribly wrong for 10 or so years??

But the treadmill was head-on facing a mirrored wall, and I noticed that my knees have a tendency to point inward when I run. As far as I can tell, I'm not splaying my feet. Is this normal?? Have I been running horribly wrong for 10 or so years??

Do you tend to have knee pain? If you've been running like this your whole life, through your Navy training and everything, with no pain, I recommend doing nothing. If anything, just make sure that when you're running, you're not wasting a lot of energy going laterally. Make sure your feet are landing closely underneath your center of gravity - small fast steps.

If you have knee pain, get refitted for running shoes and do form drills before you run. Maybe see if you can get some kind of brace?

Do you tend to have knee pain? If you've been running like this your whole life, through your Navy training and everything, with no pain, I recommend doing nothing. If anything, just make sure that when you're running, you're not wasting a lot of energy going laterally. Make sure your feet are landing closely underneath your center of gravity - small fast steps.

If you have knee pain, get refitted for running shoes and do form drills before you run. Maybe see if you can get some kind of brace?

No knee pain, although I do sometimes go through periods of foot pain that seem to come and go pretty randomly. And shin splints, but I don't see how that could be related. I'm pretty sure my feet aren't going laterally.

Maybe I should just go to one of those running places and do the fancy stride/shoes thing, but since I'm just a casual runner (20-30 miles a month) I've never really thought it would be worth it.

Archived