Exercise & Fitness

Greywolf2375

No knee pain, although I do sometimes go through periods of foot pain that seem to come and go pretty randomly. And shin splints, but I don't see how that could be related. I'm pretty sure my feet aren't going laterally.

Maybe I should just go to one of those running places and do the fancy stride/shoes thing, but since I'm just a casual runner (20-30 miles a month) I've never really thought it would be worth it.

I don't want to start a flame war here (and I know fuck all about long distance running) but have you tried minimalist/barefoot running shoes? I hear some folks get some improvements on pain and stride with them

I don't want to start a flame war here (and I know fuck all about long distance running) but have you tried minimalist/barefoot running shoes? I hear some folks get some improvements on pain and stride with them

I've thought about it, but it just doesn't really appeal to me. Sounds painful, really, and the idea of completely re-learning a new way to run is daunting. Then again, if the way I run now really is fucked up anyway, it might not hurt.

I used to get major knee-ache and shin-splints when running. I took up minimalist running for a year or so and found it an interesting experience and I didn't get the same degree of pain. What I've found is that now even if I run in boots or normal trainers my running technique has altered drastically and I don't get pain anymore no matter what footwear or surface I run on. So whilst minimalist specifically might not be for everybody I think it's definitely worth assessing your running form.

Supposedly minimalist is good for eliminating shin splints and knee pain, but causes some ankle/calf pain instead.

I found I did get calf pain at first but it was the pain of muscular fatigue rather than injury. My calves and arches adapted fairly quickly and no pain at all.

This morning 13.1 miles in 1:59:54. This was onthe lakeshore in Chicago. So zero elevation change and unlike my normal runs, I was running with a thousand other people. For me it was almost like race conditions. I was just really feeling it today. My confidence is thru the roof.

I found I did get calf pain at first but it was the pain of muscular fatigue rather than injury. My calves and arches adapted fairly quickly and no pain at all.

It depends on your body size, in my opinion. If you are very light, you will adapt faster. My legs prefer minimalist shoes, but they still hurt.

I'm scheduling knee surgery for mid September. It's time.

Basically my doc (this is the GOOD doc, the one who is team doc for the Diamondbacks) said the whole joint is loose to a partially, or possibly completely torn ACL. He couldn't tell from the MRI, but either way the verdict is the same- reconstruct the ligament or else things will remain loosey goosey in there until I keep having repeated episodes, leading to no more meniscus at all and severe arthritis at an early age. Step 1 will be to tighten everything up with a patella tendon graft which, for those of you keeping score, is the same procedure I had done to my right knee back in 2003. Righty is as tight as it gets, and my right leg is noticeably stronger because of it. Step 2 is optional, and involves suturing up the most recent meniscal tear, but it will be a judgment call once he is in there if it looks like there is enough blood flow to the area to make it worthwhile.

The stars are right to do all this now because I have a decent health plan, good living situation, plenty of PTO at work, and will have a car again within the next month. Really there's no other alternative without suffering a significant loss of quality of life.

Cut me, Mick. Cut me.

You run differently on a treadmill than you do outdoors. A good running shoe store will have you run on both surfaces, particularly if you dislike treadmill running or run most often outside. If you want a more natural feeling on the treadmill, try a 1% incline. Keeping it flat is like running downhill outside.

I always put the treadmill on 1% incline, but it still feels unnatural. I think it's a combination of the mindlessness (when I run I usually spend a lot of the time doing mental math about different fractions and times about how long it will take me to get to the next intersection/tree/etc) and the relentless constancy of the pace.

Good shoes can do a lot for you, and they're worth the investment at $80-$100 per pair, which will last 400 miles. Minimalist can be good if you're doing shorter distances - and some people swear by it longer distances, but they train for it. I tried it, and while it helped some IT band issues I was having at the time, it ultimately caused a visit to the orthopedic surgeon. I experimented with some other, more cushioned shoes for distance and concrete that have caused no trouble thus far, but my longest run to date has only been 14.4 miles...then again, that's a record for me with no trouble whatsoever. Hate to say it, but it's all in YMMV. Just go to the running shoe store, tell them what you're doing, they'll watch you on the treadmill and/or outside, sometimes put you on a foot mapping thing, and they'll get you in the right shoe.

I think I am definitely going to do this. Today I was watching my stride again and I kept moving my feet to try and see how it felt, and by the end I wasn't even sure what my "normal" was! And I had some nagging lower back pain after running which has NEVER been a problem for me before. So I want to nip this one in the bud, especially as it looks like I'll be treadmill running for a while yet.

ztem, good luck with the surgery, it does seem like now is the right time to get it done and over with!

I find the posts and info about running interesting... mainly because I suck at running. one of these days I'll try and figure out why that is!

I've had months of stops and starts for various reasons. Life (& some minor health stuff) was getting in the way of my gym & exercising but I think I'm back on track now. At least I'm going regularly. it does kinda suck how much ground I lost though! Among other things I am going to try weighted squats tomorrow for the first time in a while. I had had deep stitches in my knee that made it so I couldn't bend my knee very much without risking popping the stitches. I think is all healed enough now that it'll be ok. I'll find out.

and, I got in a big fight with a trainer yesterday. before we even trained. he was being a jackass. I've had the worst luck with trainers. a couple couldn't work me out hard enough, or give me enough variety to keep me entertained. The one that I loved got in a terrible accident (hit by a drunk driver while he was on a bike) and is out of commission for some time (maybe permanently). and now this guy. I think I'm just going to give up on trainers--I was just using them on occasion for some fresh ideas. I could probably use YouTube for that. :thumbsup:

hope you all are happily exercising.

Jade, that sucks. It's hard to find a trainer that will mesh with you. Try finding a workout buddy who is in the same place as you, one with whom you can build a workout routine with and one you can use as friendly competition. I'm sure there are other people in your gym who wouldn't mind not paying for a trainer.

I just finished plyo for today and I wasn't dead by the end! New resting heartrate is also 77, down from 87 a month ago. :D

ztem, good luck with the surgery, it does seem like now is the right time to get it done and over with!

I find the posts and info about running interesting... mainly because I suck at running. one of these days I'll try and figure out why that is!

I've had months of stops and starts for various reasons. Life (& some minor health stuff) was getting in the way of my gym & exercising but I think I'm back on track now. At least I'm going regularly. it does kinda suck how much ground I lost though! Among other things I am going to try weighted squats tomorrow for the first time in a while. I had had deep stitches in my knee that made it so I couldn't bend my knee very much without risking popping the stitches. I think is all healed enough now that it'll be ok. I'll find out.

and, I got in a big fight with a trainer yesterday. before we even trained. he was being a jackass. I've had the worst luck with trainers. a couple couldn't work me out hard enough, or give me enough variety to keep me entertained. The one that I loved got in a terrible accident (hit by a drunk driver while he was on a bike) and is out of commission for some time (maybe permanently). and now this guy. I think I'm just going to give up on trainers--I was just using them on occasion for some fresh ideas. I could probably use YouTube for that. :thumbsup:

hope you all are happily exercising.

Jade.... try CrossFit. Seriously.

Minaku, not being dead is a good thing! lol thanks for the advice, too. there are a couple of guys that are always there the same time. I might try asking one of them to spot me now and again. I do watch them to get new ideas which is always good.

Stego, I would very much like to try crossfit. seeing you talk about has been inspiring. I've looked into it a couple of times, actually...but it seems here at least its $200 a month, which is way too expensive for me atm. there are a few places that have $20 classes. is it something that would be worth it if I go to occasional class? can I take that kinda of thing back to my regular gym and use it?

Minaku, not being dead is a good thing! lol thanks for the advice, too. there are a couple of guys that are always there the same time. I might try asking one of them to spot me now and again. I do watch them to get new ideas which is always good.

Stego, I would very much like to try crossfit. seeing you talk about has been inspiring. I've looked into it a couple of times, actually...but it seems here at least its $200 a month, which is way too expensive for me atm. there are a few places that have $20 classes. is it something that would be worth it if I go to occasional class? can I take that kinda of thing back to my regular gym and use it?

Yes.

See if you can get into an onramp/boot camp that the box offers. Most Crossfit boxes worth their weight in salt will offer a beginners onramp or boot camp that will introduce you to the movements and philosophy.

Archived