Exercise & Fitness

Greywolf2375

Mine is focused on the endurance aspect of it, I'm afraid.

I think I'm going to rest tonight as well. Luckily this is a recovery week, so missing a few runs isn't too bad.

Hopefully I'll keep feeling better so that I can perhaps give running a try tomorrow.

My hamstring is finally feeling pretty close to normal--I can't believe I managed to tweak it so badly! It's been so long--almost 2 months? Anyway, so now I will try to get back to the gym and continue by wavering foray into weights. :)

My hamstring is finally feeling pretty close to normal--I can't believe I managed to tweak it so badly! It's been so long--almost 2 months? Anyway, so now I will try to get back to the gym and continue by wavering foray into weights. :)

For you stark:

http://www.mobilitywod.com/2011/06/episode-272365-tj-murphy-edition-and-hamstring-stiffness.html

my workout this morning left me closer to puking than I've ever been from working out. It took fifteen minutes of lieing down for me to be able to move and not feel like hurling. I hadn't even eaten anything since the night before (otoh, this could be why...)

Today was day two of week four on my 100 etc program. It was a lot of pushups squats and crunches. It's funny how the pushups are not the hardest part except for the first day. The hardest exercises are probably the crunches and squats. and it varies from day to day which is the toughest to get through a set. Pullups are the easiest, but only because it alternates pullups and chinups and neutral grip across the five sets. Dips, like Pushups, are also not very bad. I find it easier to just knock out the reps (even if it's a struggle) or get to the point of exhaustion/collapse on the max set with those two exercises, whereas with dips and crunches I have to mentally struggle to make myself keep doing them to finish a set. crunches especialy have so much to think about. Keeping elbows flat, crunching with ab muscles not thigh/shoulder muscles, not doing the "neck curl" rather than a crunch etc etc. I hate crunches so much. Squats are just tough at that many reps, and pounding out five sets of 30-40 squats with only a 60 sec break in between is BRUTAL.

Man, the past few weeks had been going real well. I did a 3, 5, 3, and 8 miler in week one. Felt good.

Ran 3, 5, 3, and 9 miles on week two. Still good. (though the 9 miler was tough, and humid as hell)

Also did strength training during those weeks.

Then, during my recovery week. DISASTER. Struck down by a helluva cold. Coughing. Fever. All that shit.

So I took two days off from work and running. Today I'm back at work. I've missed two days of running. A 3 and a 5 mile run.

I could try and run a 3 today... but I'm not sure I should. I don't think I'm fully recovered. Walking around the city today, I felt suddenly felt insanely hungry and started sweating, even though its only 67 degrees in Chicago.

So I'm not sure if I should run, but I also don't want to lose too much of the gains I've been making. Its PERFECT running weather. And I could probably gut out 3 miles, but I also don't want to make myself sick.

Any advice would be appreciated.

ETA: Stego, just to add a voice to the crowd, you're a frickin' hoss man! Nice work.

I wouldn't sweat it at all. Sometimes a week off actually really pays dividends, especially if the alternative is prolonging your sickness, and based on how much it sounds like you've been working out, you shouldn't see too much of a setback in only a week.

i ran a half-marathon last night.

at 2:20:31, it was far from my personal best (1:51:20 - set last april) and i almost didn't even break a sweat.

what was the point of running it? it was my girlfriend's first half-marathon and i didn't want to miss that.

afterwards, i went for a massage... the massage therapist cracked my neck, feet, ankles, you name it. i had no idea toes could crack that much. it wasn't that comfortable during the massage, but it helped me a lot and i felt heavenly afterwards.

EDIT:

thanks to chataya, i now know a difference between massage therapist and a masseuse ;)

Massage therapist, dude. ALWAYS a "massage therapist", never a "masseuse" - an MT is a licensed individual giving therapeutic relief to your muscles...a masseuse gives a "happy ending".

i bow to your wisdom :)

@ Xray:

thanks.

Hey, does anyone want to do a 14 mile run on Saturday at WorldCon? I'll be at about a nice, easy 10 minute/mile pace, 11 minutes if there are hills.

10 min/mile is easy? I know I'm out of shape but... really? For 14 miles? I'm doing 11 min now, on average. I can do 10 min, but I'm not sure that I could sustain it for very long (haven't pushed it for more than 1 mile yet). But I am planning on spending the next 2 weeks working up to it.

Anyway, I've been out of these threads for a long time. So for a quick catch up - after starting my daughter in martial arts classes, I realized that I really want to go back myself. Started working out for a few weeks, but then fell back to laziness. Then the school had a tournament a few months ago, that I had helped with, and it renewed my desire to go back. And since this was a lot more involved than standing in the school lobby, watching, this time it hasn't waned.

So, I've been trying to get back in shape; preparing to go back. Corrected most of my diet problems, started running, and doing some modest strength training. Also started practicing my MA form again (those that I can still remember) and doing a lot of kicking drills. In the past 11 weeks I've dropped 16lbs. Gone from running 12 min miles for 25 minutes, up to running 11 minute miles for a full hour (and, once again, planning to push it up to 10 min). If everything goes smoothly, I should be able to start my MA classes again in early August - I'll be moving closer to the school next month, so I'm aiming to return after the move. I'm just waiting for them to tell me how much it'll cost.

I just bought some new running sneakers. They're so comfortable that I feel like I can start attempting longer runs. I'd love to try for a 10 mile, but it's hard to find the time. The only time I can find to do it, would be to get up early on Saturday. But I get little enough sleep as it is, and I'm reluctant to give up a couple more hours of it.

During my 2 week holidayin south of england at my folks i managed to go out running 9 times in 2 weeks (also did a 5 mile walk most days) , average speed according to runkeeper was 6.-somethinh per mile and distancr covered was just under 6 miles. Despite doing the same run i gpt different distances from runkeeper. There were mile markers on the path which indicated i ran 6 miles, so no idea what the exaxt distance was.

Been getting back into exercising after being a lazy fucker for a few months. It feels great, but I also have ferociously tight hamstrings. I do have one of those straps to do the stretches that the video upthread suggests. They help, but I get the feeling that it's one of those things that one ought to try to do daily. I did a bit this morning, and I'll probably do a bit this afternoon before I head to the gym again.

It is. Kinda ironically, my initial post was going to be asking what others do for stretching/warm up regimens. I know with my lower back & hammy injuries I have had I don't do nearly enough stretching as I should - as evidenced by spending the last two days on my feet marshalling at the Travellers Championship.

Archived