How was Feast of Crows?

marctiley

I finished SoS about a week ago and I went to Barnes and Noble for Crows, but they were out. They said they would have more in a day or two.

Before I left a gentleman stopped me and told me to skip Crows. He said to just look up the recap on wikipedia.org. I asked him why and he told me it was boring and didn't include Jon or the Wall. He also said the chapters about Jamie and Cersei were absolutely boring and didn't advance the story at all.

Since I wasn't going to go on the word of one person, I looked up the reviews on amazon.com, and there were some very harsh critiques.

So, as my first post on the forums, I ask you guys if I should read FoC or just skip it and wait for Dragons?

There was alot of pretty interesting stuff in AFFC but it is a very varied book and nobody is likely to like all of it. Odd that he hated that Jaime parts so much I really enjoyed those..but not really sure which Jaime and Cersei chapter he was babbling about as there are alot of Jaime and Cersei chapters.

I recomend get it. There are some parts you will really love and other parts not so much at least that is the response I usually see on Feast.

I'd get it and read it, for sure. Before Dance comes out. Otherwise, you'll spend the rest of your life (particularly here at Westeros!), having a huge blank spot in your knowledge every time a discussion ensues that involves a scene in Feast. My advice is just to sit down with it expecting a different, slower pace, a different 'flavor' than you had in Swords. Feast takes a long hard, no-holds-barred look at the devestation, destruction and despair of many characters and places throughout the kingdoms in the aftermath of brutal war. And then it slowly begins to build a ray of hope, a glimmer of a future for some of the characters--not the future they would have chosen or ever wanted, perhaps, but.. a future. I wouldn't have missed it for the world.

I'd get it and read it, for sure. Before Dance comes out. Otherwise, you'll spend the rest of your life (particularly here at Westeros!), having a huge blank spot in your knowledge every time a discussion ensues that involves a scene in Feast. My advice is just to sit down with it expecting a different, slower pace, a different 'flavor' than you had in Swords. Feast takes a long hard, no-holds-barred look at the devestation, destruction and despair of many characters and places throughout the kingdoms in the aftermath of brutal war. And then it slowly begins to build a ray of hope, a glimmer of a future for some of the characters--not the future they would have chosen or ever wanted, perhaps, but.. a future. I wouldn't have missed it for the world.

I agree, 100%.

It's a much different book, that's for certain. And certainly a tonal change for the series, especially when compared to Storm of Swords.

I've come to deeply enjoy it and am looking forward to my upcoming re-read. I'm reading side by side with 2 new readers and I'm really loving it.

Almost as much as I'm loving your new av iheartseverus!

Feast is actually really good if you're willing to give some new PoVs a chance. The Jaime and Cersei chapters are interesting, as are the Brienne ones.

I will say that it may take a couple of reads to really like. I think the Feast hate stems mainly from the large wait for Dance, though. Some story lines have been sitting for a decade or so without advancement due to them not appearing in Feast. But that won't be an issue in a month.

Almost as much as I'm loving your new av iheartseverus!

Thanks! Funny story about it, real quick. I came up with it back when I was at an HP forum and when the video clip hit the news about that guy yelling: 'Don't tase me, bro!' to the cops who were taking him down. Anyway, another forum member, from Eastern Europe, who never heard of a taser, posted that she liked my new avvy but that 'I'd made a typo and forgot the last 't' in 'taste.' hahahaha, poor girl, the forum erupted--Sirius Black begging Severus Snape 'don't taste me, bro?' Anyway, decided to dust it off and bring it here.

On-topic! Marctiley, read Feast! Fuggetabout that mope in the bookstore. He knows nothing, heh. :read:

Thanks! Funny story about it, real quick. I came up with it back when I was at an HP forum and when the video clip hit the news about that guy yelling: 'Don't tase me, bro!' to the cops who were taking him down. Anyway, another forum member, from Eastern Europe, who never heard of a taser, posted that she liked my new avvy but that 'I'd made a typo and forgot the last 't' in 'taste.' hahahaha, poor girl, the forum erupted--Sirius Black begging Severus Snape 'don't taste me, bro?' Anyway, decided to dust it off and bring it here.

On-topic! Marctiley, read Feast! Fuggetabout that mope in the bookstore. He knows nothing, heh. :read:

Oh, God. That just makes it better.

But yes, on-topic! Read it, you won't regret it. It's a bittersweet palate cleanser between the action movies that came before and are still to come.

I'm from South Europe, and would think that you have missed 'e', from 'tease' :blushing:

Speaking about Feast, I have finished the book couple of days ago and can say that I like it. Didn't have problems with any PoV (Cersei is bit irritant, but I like the events in Kings Landing), and only thing I don't like about the book is to many cliffhangers.

I'm from South Europe, and would think that you have missed 'e', from 'tease' :blushing:

Speaking about Feast, I have finished the book couple of days ago and can say that I like it. Didn't have problems with any PoV (Cersei is bit irritant, but I like the events in Kings Landing), and only thing I don't like about the book is to many cliffhangers.

Haha, don't tease me, bro? That's funny, too, coming from Sirius Black to Severus Snape!

Yes, SO many cliffhangers in Feast, for sure. BUT, a little more than 3 weeks from now and we'll have all sorts of answers! Can't wait!

Do not listen to the silly store clerk.

AFFC is a masterfully written book. It's not everyone's cup of tea, because if all you care about is "what happens to Jon, what happens to Dany, what happens to Tyrion.. etc" You might be disappointed that they aren't in there.

But if you care what happens to Westeros as a whole, it's immensely interesting and important. You will find out what's going on in Dorne, in the Reach, in King's Landing, in the Riverlands, in the Vale, in the Iron Isles, in Braavos, basically everywhere but the North and Slaver's Bay, you will get to see.

I finished SoS about a week ago and I went to Barnes and Noble for Crows, but they were out. They said they would have more in a day or two.

Before I left a gentleman stopped me and told me to skip Crows. He said to just look up the recap on wikipedia.org. I asked him why and he told me it was boring and didn't include Jon or the Wall. He also said the chapters about Jamie and Cersei were absolutely boring and didn't advance the story at all.

Since I wasn't going to go on the word of one person, I looked up the reviews on amazon.com, and there were some very harsh critiques.

So, as my first post on the forums, I ask you guys if I should read FoC or just skip it and wait for Dragons?

That's a nice samaritan and good advice. You can skip the book and read the plot on wiki but rather read it from a library or borrow it from a friend.

Unless you're a collectionist, there's no point in buying Feast since it's only good enough for one boring read.

Brace yourself for it.

I didn't mind it at all. Brienne was boring as usual, I guess that's about it..

I have a feeling this anti-AFFC sentiment is something that has been caused by the very long wait for ADWD. Personally I only read the series after the TV show started airing, so I don't have that, ehm.. baggage. :read:

Feast has a slower pace, a greater scope, a different thematic approach, and abandons the characters that could be considered the central protagonists of the saga. That makes some readers consider it weaker than other books.

But to suggest to skip it entirely? Nonsense! You might like it less than the others, but it's still great. And many things included there will doubtless have an impact in the forthcoming books!

I hated the book the first time I read it, but I've read the series 4 times now and each time I read Feast I love it more and more. Once you accept it for what it is you can start to pick up on all the little things you failed to pick up the first time, when you were just reading for plot development.

95% of the time, when people say they hated A Feast for Crows they mean that their favorite character Jon/Dany/Tyrion wasn't in the book, not that the book itself is inferior to the others from a literary standpoint.

I am of the camp that it is inferior to the other entries in the series. But that still makes it better than 90% of the books out there. I love the Ironborn subplot, appreciate Jaime and Cersei and tolerate Brienne (frankly a quest SHOULD seem long and hopeless - otherwise it is an adventure, not a quest). It would be foolish to bypass a portion of the tale. As others have said, it improves on re-reads (as does every volume in the series).

Just finished it four days ago, definitely worth a read. The first 200 pages or so were (for me) very difficult to get through. There is just so much left open in the ASOS that you want some finality with certain characters. After I accepted that I would not get this closure, the book actually became maybe even my favorite. Very wide scope, and you learn more than any other book about the history and current state of Westeros as a whole. The Cersei chapters (which some hated) were for me some of the best, just loved reading about what she's thinking for the first time.

To skip this book would probably not be a good idea if you're planning on reading the next three. You will miss quite a lot, the setup for the Martell's and Greyjoy's will probably be revisited again. Not to mention what happens in King's Landing - you miss that and you will regret it.

Archived