How was Feast of Crows?

marctiley

I went in expecting a slow, boring book. But I'm loving it so far. I actually enjoy the events in the Iron Islands and Dorne. It's quite a different read to the first three because of the slower pace and the fact that we hear about characters who will be in Dance, but do not know if what we hear is correct. For example, we don't know what happened Tyrion, and it's interesting to hear about the various possibilities and rumours.

I went in expecting a slow, boring book. But I'm loving it so far. I actually enjoy the events in the Iron Islands and Dorne. It's quite a different read to the first three because of the slower pace and the fact that we hear about characters who will be in Dance, but do not know if what we hear is correct. For example, we don't know what happened Tyrion, and it's interesting to hear about the various possibilities and rumours.

Yep, totally in agreement. Alot of people got quite a bit of problems with AFFC, but in truth it's an excellent book, just like the rest of the series. And if you read the book closely you will notice the numerous amount of new plot points were necessary to the story. I don't know why people expected another ASOS ( big battles, high-paced). How would that possibly work with the story.

You can't just pull a LOST on us and leave us scratchin our heads on the stroyline. we need to be filled in.

With just about another 150 pages to go, I've been thoroughly enjoying it. It fleshes out the world quite nicely. While the story does move forward, it doesn't do so as much as previous books. Rather, the story moves laterally, making the whole series much more immersive.

I will say, however, that I am glad I didn't have to wait 5 years for it and another 5 years for ADwD (just picked up my copy yesterday). As a new reader who has been able to blaze through the entire series in a couple of months with no downtime between books, I really see no problems with this installment whatsoever.

The long wait was a strong factor in the harsh reviews, I firmly believe.

Also, ASOS is a hard act to follow. I know I was disappointed initially with AFFC, mostly for the lack of certain povs, and because it felt slower, but it improved greatly on a reread.

I'm about 3/4 of the way through AFfC right now and I have to say I'm loving it and agree with most points brought up by earlier posts. The Iron islands plots are cool and will definitely have an impact in DWD i think, and everything going on in Dorne is cool too and seems like it will build up to something bloody and exciting. Most of all I love Cersei's chapters. I am a Cersei hater. I just can't wait for her to get what's coming to her and some of her actions in AFfC are making an impact on what sort of people she is surrounding herself with...

Most of all I love Cersei's chapters. I am a Cersei hater. I just can't wait for her to get what's coming to her and some of her actions in AFfC are making an impact on what sort of people she is surrounding herself with...

Somewhere along the way, I had picked up that Cersei gets more sympathetic as the story progresses. That has not been the case at all for me. Sure, she's more complex, but sympathetic? No. I never liked here, but she's really stepped it up in this one. An excellent love-to-hate character... one of the best villainesses ever.

By all means read "A Feast of Crows." To tell you the truth I do not understand all the somewhat silly criticism of this book. I found it very enjoyable. The Brienne chapters especially so. "Feast" gives the reader a deeper understanding of the minor characters and many of them are quite fascinating.

This is a good book period.

Somewhere along the way, I had picked up that Cersei gets more sympathetic as the story progresses. That has not been the case at all for me. Sure, she's more complex, but sympathetic? No. I never liked here, but she's really stepped it up in this one. An excellent love-to-hate character... one of the best villainesses ever.

Boy are you correct...

Cersei does not get one bit more sympathetic that is for dang sure! Nonetheless she is one of Martin's GREAT characters in the story.

• 2 months later...

Awful book, so much could have been got rid of. Cersei's, Samwell's, Arya's, Brienne's, Dorne's and the Ironmen's sections were all for the most part as dull as dishwasher. I enjoyed a lot of Jaime's sections though still not a lot happened there. And quite a lot of decent things in it were only talked about and not actually seen which smacks of lazy writing. The ending was cracking though.

Read the book though, you can't just read a book series and miss out parts.

First time reader here, and from what POVs you mentioned, I can agree only with Dorne.

AFfC (throughout) spoilers coming

And I believe even Dorne will be important later on, even if I did not exactly enjoy the chapters. The situation by the end of AFfC is on the verge of conflict with iron throne/Lannisters, however little of them are remaining.

I liked Cersei chapters very much because finally I got to see what she thinks. And I can see now, that she was slowly getting mad the Aerys way since Robert died. Also her story ended in a big cliffhanger, bigger still because Jaime burned her letter (which I could see coming btw).

Samwell chapters may have been a little less interesting, but I very much liked the part when they were in Braavos. MAN, the scene when he got into conflict with bravos and ARYA saved him. By now he already met 2 of 3 presumably dead Stark children :D And when he finally arrived to Oldtown, that was great also. I was so much looking forward to seeing the citadel from within. We got only a glimpse there, but the hints point towards the suggestion, that the situation may be FUBAR there as well. And come on, he met with Pate from the prologue!

As to Arya, I was looking forward to seeing Faceless Men organisation from within ever since Jaqen gave Arya the coin. Enough said :-) And the end... I hope, that something more will be said in ADwD otherwise I think I will not be able to take the wait till next book.

Brienne chapters may go on slowly, but we finally got to see her in action! And the scene when she met the children at the inn, and she instantly recognised Gendry as Robert's bastard, that was perfect! Her last fight was insane and I was giving her my little sad farewell, but wait! She lives! And what more, Gendry killed Biter with a spear, how I hate that it happened off-screen! Along with the rest of fight. And her plotline ended with one of the biggest cliffhangers by her being hanged on Catelyn's order. Things are pretty messed up.

And Ironmen chapters? What we saw is confrontation of ALL Balon's brothers AND Asha since...like forever. And a kingsmoot! It might be a little political, but I can't see how anyone could unlike that plotline.

That said, AFfC was as great book as any of those, that preceded. And anyone who would chose to skip it will miss like zanzillion great moments.

Don't skip it. It's at a different pace but please don't skip it. It does actually advance the story, as it expands characters such as Jamie, Sam, Arya, Cersei, Brienne, Sansa, as well as new characters in areas like Dorne and The Iron Islands who we haven't really met before...like them or not, they are vital to the tale. It was quite hard to get into but then about a third or halfway through it got really, really good. It's a lot more subtle than the other books. And the Dorne chapters are awesome.

As long as you're aware that Tyrion, Dany and Jon don't have POVs you won't be disappointed.

OP bought the book way back in June, so on that, thread done. For future reference, though, these 'Still Reading' threads probably aren't the right place to discuss following books.

Archived