[Book Spoilers] EP110 Discussion

Ran

Distinct lack of Rorge and Biter in the Wall-bound cart :P

Really? There were the 3 men in the cage. I didn't get a good look, but I assumed the one under the hood was Jaqen and the other two were Rorge and Biter.

Wow. That was amazing. I don't care that she wasn't bald, because the whole scene had the same atmosphere and feeling of awesomeness of the book.

Overall just an epic season finale. I can't wait to read and watch all the newbie reviews.

I took the Pycelle/Roz scene as illustrating to us that while we may have just thought this was a game of Varys and Littlefinger, there's Pycelle playing the old doddering fool to one of Littlefinger's spies.

Genius, really.

Precisely. The squats were a little corny, but it got across the point that even the frail old guy is playing the game. It'll give his interactions with Tyrion a little extra weight next season.

Question to the group:

Did Catelyn pledge to Robb that they'd "kill them all" in the novels? I coulda sworn she was all about pushing for peace on their terms when they had the upper hand.

...and enough of Roz, please. Please.

Apropos of nothing else:

Hey, hellooooooooooo Gendry!

And just like that, season 1 is over! Ahhhhh!

Superb finale, tons of good things to say.

1. I'll get this out of the way first - the dragons looked great, very well detailed/animated. I liked how they did the pyre scene, the only thing I missed was the giant "CRACK!" that the books described as the eggs opened.

2. Loved loved LOVED the "extra" Arya/Arry scene - I say extra in quotes cause really, similar stuff happens at the beginning of book 2. Short-haired Maisie = win, and I was pumped to see Gendry. Also, pretty sure that was the "Black Cells Trio" in that cart, though they might just be placeholder characters for now. Oh and Yoren is well-cast.

3. Sophie Turner blossomed this episode, as did Rory McCann. Good San/San stuff, and I love that Sansa was thiiis close to pushing Joff off the bridge. They also gave Ser Meryn a name finally, which was good.

4. Tyrion/Tywin stuff was good, but Shae still gets on my nerves. She is far too assertive IMO, at this point I realize that they're just changing her character, but I don't really get why. Ah well, not terribly important.

5. King in the North was surprisingly early, but I liked that scene. Gave one last mention of Stannis, so hopefully the "Unsullied" will be postulating as to his role next season. Theon's display of loyalty to Robb made me want to scream!

6. All of Jon's stuff was great, loved Sam trying to stop him and just barely jumping out of the way, Grenn/Pyp/Sam all reciting the oath, and Mormont's little speech. The montage of them gearing up and heading out was a great way to end that arc for season 1.

7. Cat's conversation with Jaime was cool and all, but they used up some of the good lines from the meeting at the end of next season...makes me wonder if they're re-ordering some of the events. Glad we got the "There are no men like me. Only me." line, one of my favorites in the series.

8. My only complaint was Pycelle, and it wasn't even the entire scene. We know from book 2 that he sleeps with young whores, and I know we all complain about Roz but it's not that ridiculous that she'd be there. Might as well use a whore we know. My problem was the absurd "stretching routine", it's like they were reeeeally trying to stretch time, and was just laughable.

Gotta say, I'm super glad that ADwD is coming out soon, because it's gonna be a long wait for season 2. There were some low spots in this series, but as a whole, HBO really outdid themselves in casting, production quality, and script.

His arms were stained up to his elbows.

ah, were they? I didn't get to watch it on my normal HD. cool.

I'm really happy that they had several 2nd season parts in the finale. Cat and Jaime. Arya and the boys from the Wall. And especially the muster of the Night's Watch. That was a great scene!

I missed the first showing of the episode, so have to wait an hour.

Someone please tell me the dragons looked awesome enough to be worth the wait.

Oh yes, the dragons looked FANTASTIC. I was very impressed!

Those dragons were totally awesome looking. Way better than I ever expected from HBO, especially for a first season. Wow, what an epic ending! Loved this episode!

Gendry is even more awesome on screen than in the books. He better end up as king someday!

Jorah, you monstrous bad-ass you!

-

Time for Kaitscralt's weekly nitpicks!

1) Pycelle doing yoga with only fifteen minutes left in the episode. Also, his speech was pretty unimportant. It essentially said nothing, which Roz acknowledged. I don't care that Roz was his whore, but damn did that goofy scene waste some time. I honestly thought it was a joke commercial or something when he started doing his exercise.

2) Renly and Stannis declaring themselves King was mentioned only in a mumbled sentence in Tywin's tent. This stuff is pretty important, and the way they acknowledged that Renly had declared himself was pretty weak. Also, they never even said Stannis declared himself, just that he was gathering his army or something. This is the War of the Five Kings, remember?

3) Catelyn's line of the day, "You ruined your sword." Out of place much? I guess she was trying to be lighthearted, but it didn't really work for me.

4) The writers need to cater to the stupid masses more often. It's unwise to assume that the non-reader audience will remember Lancel's face atop a naked body, not seen since six episodes ago in his goofy hat. "Who was that dude and why is Cersei banging him?

5) For Christ's sake, give Drogo a couple of blinks or even show him breathing. He looked way more dead than he needed to.

I took the Pycelle/Roz scene as illustrating to us that while we may have just thought this was a game of Varys and Littlefinger, there's Pycelle playing the old doddering fool to one of Littlefinger's spies.

Genius, really.

I'm gonna hold on to that as the best explanation for them showing an old man doing deep knee bends in a nightgown. Otherwise it's just creepy.

Really? There were the 3 men in the cage. I didn't get a good look, but I assumed the one under the hood was Jaqen and the other two were Rorge and Biter.

I think it was just two random blokes - they didn't look like the descriptions of Rorge and Biter. Probably not considered worth the effort.

ah, were they? I didn't get to watch it on my normal HD. cool.

I'm really happy that they had several 2nd season parts in the finale. Cat and Jaime. Arya and the boys from the Wall. And especially the muster of the Night's Watch. That was a great scene!

And Lancel! I was surprised to see that given away this season. (Made me think of julandro, of course!) When we first saw him sitting there naked through the window I thought it was a girl. :rofl:

Archived