Lets talk Wolves

Kissiq

I knew it the whole time... Well I know it and I want to hear your thoughts.

Nymeria has been following Arya the whole time. From the day she chased her away, she followed her to Kings Landing, to Harrenhall ... confirmed by the end of Chapter 3 with her first warg experience eh?

Remember that time (in aCoK)with Yoren where she went to take a leak and there were wolves in the trees? why didnt they attack?

I wonder why nymeria doesnt go to Arya :( they are so close

I have just today finished reading ASoS and have been wondering this constantly!

I think it's perhaps that when Arya 'banished' Nymeria to protect her Nymeria is now unsure as to whether Arya wants her back but wants to be able to protect her still?

I'm sure GRRM will let us know in AFfC which I am planning to start on the morrow :).

Do yals think that Ghost has some defect that prevents him from growling etc. I know he is super quiet otherwise, makes him a lot more unique and stealthy but for real now...

Summer mentioned that he has no voice and now I am wondering it he is dumb for real. Pretty cool though :D

• 2 weeks later...

Ghost may be really quiet throughout the story but if I recall from Jon's first warg experience(during CoK) that he howled at the night while remembering lost siblings.

Personally, I look forward to seeing how the wolves grow up. Summer seems to be the most intelligent, Ghost the most observant, but Nymeria and Shaggy both seem to be vicious and I wonder how they will differ when we read of them again(possibly in the coming DwD).

• 5 weeks later...

i'm thinking ghost doesn't have a voice in the telepathic sense, the others can't see him or hear him or feel him.

Would it be possible for Jon to warg into Ghost (or, at least, have wolf dreams) if the white wolf had no telepathic sense? :dunno: I've interpreted the fact that the other wolves can't hear or feel Ghost to be an echo of Jon's somewhat tenuious connection to his siblings. That impression perhaps comes largely from the way Catelyn went out of her way to keep Jon separate from her children at every opportunity - both Jon and Ghost are brothers somewhat apart from the rest of their respective packs from their very earliest days. Of course, the closeness between Jon and Arya (which to me seems much greater even than the bond shared between Jon and Robb) would seem to contradict that notion...

Maybe Ghost's "silence" to his litter mates is a reflection or how closely the wolf pups bonded with their respective children? Jon is on the Wall, which is cut off from the rest of the world for the most part, so maybe that's part of the explanation? Once Jon goes to the Wall, it seems like Arya is really the only one of the Stark children who give Jon any more thought than 'Oh, but he's gone to the Wall, and so out of the picture.'

Thoughts?

How come Robb cannot warg into Grey Wind?

I think he is just not as bonded to Grey Wind as Bran to Summer and Jon to Ghost. At the wall, Sam and Ghost are really Jon's closest friends. Nymeria and Arya were inseperable, as were Sansa and Lady. Robb and Grey Wind have been close, but Robb has other things that he must always put before his direwolf as King of the North. This could be why Robb never had the strong connection to be able to skinchange. Also, remember how Maester Luwin dismissed Bran's dreams as nonsense and it took Jojen Reed to guide Bran on how to open his third eye.

Maybe Ghost's "silence" to his litter mates is a reflection or how closely the wolf pups bonded with their respective children? Jon is on the Wall, which is cut off from the rest of the world for the most part, so maybe that's part of the explanation? Once Jon goes to the Wall, it seems like Arya is really the only one of the Stark children who give Jon any more thought than 'Oh, but he's gone to the Wall, and so out of the picture.'

Thoughts?

I like this idea and I think it has something to do with the character of the person the wolf is bonded to. In GoT, there was a description of the wolves as being almost a mirror of the children. Lady was a lot like Sansa whereas Nymeria was more like Arya. Rikkon was described as being pretty uncontrollable and aggressive, which would make sense that his wolf is too. Perhaps that's why Ghost is more silent and observant. Jon is depicted as being observant, being able to stand back and assess situations rather than act with aggression all the time.

I think Bran thinks about Jon as well though.

I don't know that Nymeria has actually been *following* Arya, per se. It's not entirely clear, but I just get the impression that in her many wanderings, Arya happened to get close to where Nymeria was. I do think Nymeria knew that Arya was close, and that she was trying to protect Arya when she was fleeing Harrenhall. But it may just have been happenstance that Nymeria was close.

You might be right though, I wouldn't wager on my interpretation being correct, but it just seems like they are separated by some distance some of the times that Arya had dreams. I'd give an example, however I'm afraid of spoiling things for people who haven't read most of the book yet.

In any case, I'm with the person who says Nym hasn't gone back to her because she's not sure that Arya would have her back. Again, don't know for sure, but that seems a plausible explanation.

The thing I'm waiting for is Bran to talk to his siblings more through the dreams. He does it once in, I think it was Clash of Kings, where he talks to Jon Snow when they are both linked to Ghost. If he did it once, it seems reasonable we'll see him do it again.

I'm still reading SoS but have wondered why Nymeria has not come back - surely Arya could call her just as Bran does with Summer! Also, I wonder why Sansa doesn't have wolf dreams..... or have I missed something?

Sansa doesn't have Wolf Dreams because her wolf, Lady, was killed in GOT. I've heard it suggested that this also makes her weaker.

The thing I'm waiting for is Bran to talk to his siblings more through the dreams. He does it once in, I think it was Clash of Kings, where he talks to Jon Snow when they are both linked to Ghost. If he did it once, it seems reasonable we'll see him do it again.

Really? I don't remember that. When did it happen?

Really? I don't remember that. When did it happen?

I just found it thanks to Google Books.

I might be misinterpreting the meaning, but, here goes.

It's in Clash of Kings, in the chapter where Jon and Quoron Halfhand had finished ambushing the sentries in the mountains (when they climbed up the icy slope and fell no them from above), and Jon had refused to kill the girl. Shortly after that, they make camp and go to sleep, and Jon has a wolf dream. . .

When he closed his eyes, he dreamed of Direwolves.

There were five of them when there should have been six, and they were scattered, each apart from the others. He felt a deep ache of emptiness, a sense of incompleteness. The forest was vast and cold, and they were so small, so lost. His brothers were out there somewhere, and his sister, but he had lost their scent. He sat on his haunches and lifted his head to the darkening sky, and his cry echoed through the forest, a long lonely mournful sound. As it died away, he pricked up his ears, listening for an answer, but the only sound was the sigh of blowing snow.

Jon?

The call came from behind him, softer than a whisper, but strong too. Can a shout be silent? He turned his head, searching for his brother, for a glimpse of a lean grey shape moving beneath the trees, but there was nothing, only. . .

Now, there's two things here. One is that the wolf Jon is dreaming of is not Ghost (so I mis-remembered earlier when I said it was ghost), I don't think - Ghost has no voice to howl. Also, the wolf in the dream turned to look for his brother - something Bran's wolf often does, because those two wolves are together.

But, more importantly, later in the book (I found this also via Google books, but there's no preview page, so the quote is very short), Bran thinks, ". . .and once, he had even touched Ghost and talked to Jon. . .".

I'll see if I can borrow the book again from my sister and give you what chapter it's from. I think it's from shortly after the Reed boy helps him to start accessing the wolf dreams, and they have a conversation about how Bran shouldn't spend so much time in the wolf dreams, or he might stop being Bran the Boy.

Could it be that Bran connected to Summer who can connect to his brothers and sister? So- Bran is in Summer, Jon is in Ghost, Bran and Summer reach out to Ghost/Jon?

It might be something like that. It's not entirely clear. But, the point is, he did call Jon's name, and Jon 'heard' it through the wolf. Jon didn't talk back - not sure if he can or not. I'm expecting Bran will learn to better control that aspect of his ability, anyhow.

It might be something like that. It's not entirely clear. But, the point is, he did call Jon's name, and Jon 'heard' it through the wolf. Jon didn't talk back - not sure if he can or not. I'm expecting Bran will learn to better control that aspect of his ability, anyhow.

Well, if you've read about Queenscrown, then you know

Bran can connect to Hodor.

Archived