Maester Pycell

Teren_Kanan

Wow, I just got banned from the 'Something Awful' Forums for expressing this opinion

I didn't like the Littlefinger-banging scene either since it could have been handled differently even if they kept the whores in the scence.

However, with that said, I do think that there is a default switch in most ppls minds to instantly dislike any scene that Roz is in and that's way overly simplistic. Many ppl seemed to completely miss, or otherwise misinterpret, the significance of the Roz/Pycelle scene bc of that, and I actually think that the scene was well performed. Even Roz' acting was believable and nuanced, but ppl are now conditioned to turn their brains off as soon as she comes on screen.

Personally I don't think that she's been a bad addition or that the information and things that they chose to use her character as means to convey were wrong. They have a limited amount of time to convey an almost limitless amount of information and one of the best ways to get that done is through excessive monologues. Well in a world where telling your secrets can get you killed one of the few believable times when a person is at their most truthful is post-coitus. Also remember that, just as the Spider uses his little boys, Littlefinger's whores are not only his employees, any one of them could also be a potential part of his information network. Part of the reason why Pycelle chooses to feed Roz unintelligible nonsense.

Now I was expressing an opinion there. Somebody please tell me what's wrong with that.

Wow, I just got banned from the 'Something Awful' Forums for expressing this opinion

Now I was expressing an opinion there. Somebody please tell me what's wrong with that.

I think agree with every sentiment except that I liked the scene you first reference.

Was it this post alone that they banned you for, or was it the ensuing argument?

I think agree with every sentiment except that I liked the scene you first reference.

Was it this post alone that they banned you for, or was it the ensuing argument?

Nope, just that post. They were very specific and gave no reason other than, "you should know what you did wrong". You can't even protest bc they're policy is that basically f-you, you were being an idiot. And you have to pay for the pleasure of being insulted on that forum. I've learned my lesson. Never join a forum that you have to pay for.

Ppl hte u bc yr dmb. User loses posting privileges for 3 days.

Here's a link. Like I said, if I did something wrong, fine. But I just don't think that, in a forum that requires you to make a one-time payment for membership, you should have to guess what random statement might get some keyboard warrior to ban you.

That's a direct quote. And they linked that post which was the last of the day for me. Just,... wow. If anyone can tell me what I did wrong I'd appreciate it. Perhaps level minds can make sense of it.

I don't think he knew the full truth. I think he tried to lead Ned at least a little towards the conclusion he (P) had drawn, while also seeding other plausible ideas, but I think he would have been surprised at the actual killer.

Plus I really don't think he would have predicted the mover behind the killer, either; he would have assumed they were the same person.

I think that he probably had a strong belief that Cersei was behind it, and thus Pycelle deliberately didn't purge Jon Arryn because he thought she wanted Arryn dead.

@ spoiler: that's not how I read the conversation. I think he suspected who the poisoner was but not why they did the poisoning.

But he saw it as an opportunity to do Cersei a favour.

Nope, just that post. They were very specific and gave no reason other than, "you should know what you did wrong". You can't even protest bc they're policy is that basically f-you, you were being an idiot. And you have to pay for the pleasure of being insulted on that forum. I've learned my lesson. Never join a forum that you have to pay for.

That's a direct quote. And they linked that post which was the last of the day for me. Just,... wow. If anyone can tell me what I did wrong I'd appreciate it. Perhaps level minds can make sense of it.

Here's a link. Like I said, if I did something wrong, fine. But I just don't think that, in a forum that requires you to make a one-time payment for membership, you should have to guess what random statement might get some keyboard warrior to ban you.

It's your abbreviating. (Thus the ban message.) You can't use u, ur, ppl, bc, etc.

Your Leper's Colony entry makes it pretty clear. SA is big on proper typing. Don't write "ppl" and "bc."

Anyway, you were just probated, not banned. In 3 days you can post again. Probation isn't a big deal, as long as you don't keep doing it.

EDIT: You registered a month ago? You may want to lurk more, or at least read the rules. We take them seriously.

The point of the Pycelle scene clearly is to show that he is not just the old walking corps various kings use to read their proclamations. Until that point he is just a walking corpse who apparently does everything he is told rather sloooowlyyy.

But Pycelle really makes himself more frail and old than he really is in the books. He especially likes to use his age as an excuse if he doesn't want to talk about something (in the scene with Ned and him about Jon Arryn).

The time in the black cells clearly broke him somewhat, but he still is not yet the walking corpse as which he appears to Tyrion later, and to Jaime/Cersei in AFfC. We actually see that this guy who is well in his 80s is Cersei's most competent advisor during her time as Queen Regent.

The series needed to establish that he is (somewhat) on the same level as Varys and Littlefinger, especially as most of his corpses are going to be dragged into the light in the next season. Meaning his involvement in Jon Arryn's death, and his treasonous counsel to Aerys. Most especially his weirdo loyalty to Tywin and Cersei. In the TV series he is not suspected to be a Lannister crony, as of yet, I assume.

This should not come totally out of the blue. Pycelle needs to behave somewhat suspicious, and this scene introduced the concept that he is more than capable of deception. You have to be really suspicious and paranoid if you play the old fool with a whore, as you most likely use whores to have sex, for which you have to be physically active - at least, to a degree ;-).

I liked the scene. It just made the character for me, and it helps remind us that in King's Landing everybody is working an angle.

We normally see Pycelle as so essentially, morally, physically defeated he has to drag himself everywhere, as though barely alive ... a position of such abject humiliation that surely it must be in spite of his best efforts. To then learn that he is actually able, and for his age pretty sturdy, and that hunching over and shuffling and the hangdog expression are a deliberate pretense which nobody, not even the slickest operators in King's Landing would ever suspect, is exquisitely funny.

I have watched the entire first season more as a critic than with any real enthusiasm. (To me, TV & Movie remakes of great books tend to be severely lacking and more often than not – ruin the whole thing). Having already read the books (multiple times) I already know where most everything is going and HBO (plus many others) tend to add excessive (and frequently unnecessary) sex clips that make it hard for me to find the time (when my kids are not around). So mostly I am just watching the thing in the background while doing other things and checking out the characters playing each part. Thinking Great Ned….., Great Littlefinger……., Sansa is too old but good….., Joffery is too old but good….. and so on.

When I got to this scene, I thought …. Oh, God ANOTHER pointless sex scene. There was Pycell just babbling away. Then when she left, he just FLOWED into a completely different person. Then he goes up to the door handle and FLOWED back to his other façade. It absolutely floored me. It was Great! I had to replay that scene several times to convince myself it was not a fluke.

I never remember him being discussed much on these boards, but reading this thread, I guess that there were some clues in the books. Now, I can’t help but wonder what will the do with him next?

• 2 months later...

Good thread!

I agree with the synopsis that Grand Maester Pycelle is as big a player of the rest of the council, clearly being more vigorous of body then he let's on but is of course prong to mental wanderings due to his advanced age. I thought the scene was a neat glimpse into the never seen side of pycelles character. Old and scheming and half crazy maybe but he's still a man...

In the finale there was a scene with Pycell and Roz. When she left he did some quick exercises, walking perfectly straight to the door, then hunched over and began breathing heavy again intentionally. I can't remember anything like this with the Maester in the books. Am I just forgetting something?

Since we don't get any scenes from Pycelle's POV in the book, it's difficult to say what GRRM intended for his character. But I can imagine, if it's on the show, GRRM probably gave it his seal of approval.

I think he said that the show has his approval as a concept, but that he has no control over whats in it. Hypothetically they could make stannis win the battle of the blackwater and he wouldn't be able to stop them. That said he only gave approval for the creation of the show on the understanding that no major changes would be made.

I think he said that while most of the changes he liked, (the moon door, osha) he wouldn't have included the hunting scene. Which I agree with, the scene sucked. The king's multiple day hunt is 4 dudes and 1 spear, wtf?

• 3 months later...

The series needed to establish that he is (somewhat) on the same level as Varys and Littlefinger, especially as most of his corpses are going to be dragged into the light in the next season. Meaning his involvement in Jon Arryn's death, and his treasonous counsel to Aerys.

It's been a while since I have read the books but I am currently re-reading and on ASOS - but I can't recall if Pycelle did have any involvement in John Arryn's death nor can I recall his treasonous council to Aerys??

I am truly drawing a complete blank...

I can't recall if Pycelle did have any involvement in John Arryn's death nor can I recall his treasonous council to Aerys??

Pycelle thought that Jon Arryn had been poisoned by Cersei, and didn't even attempt to heal him when he was brought to him. (Although in truth jon had received the Tears of Lys from Lysa.

And having been a Tywin fanboy his entire live, it was him that conviced Aerys to open the gates of KL during the war. This ended with his death and the sack of the city.

Archived