[TV SPOILERS] Best Moments In Season One

CryFenril

While i enjoyed countless scenes.There were 3 that sent shivers down my spine.

1.Robb sending the ravens to call his bannermen sent chills down my spine.It was beautifully shot with the music swelling.It was something that couldn,t have been in the books because it is a visual scene.You just have a feeling of events hurtling out of control.It also does a good job of conveying the scope and power of House Stark.

2. Mormonts speech before the great ranging.Just awesome.

3.When Robb rides back after defeating Jamie Lannister.The way Catelyn is proud of him and trying to hide her relief and Richard Maddens facial expressions were just brillant.

"If we did it your way, Kingslayer, you'd win. We're not doing it your way." - That entire scene, neatly alongside the King in the North, the War Council scenes...Just everything with Robb Episode 8 onwards.

The Dancing Lessons.

But most of all, the warmths in the first episode. Robb dragging Arya away. The Septa complimenting Sansa's handiwork as Arya simmers away. Ned reprimanding the lads "Which one of you was a marksman at ten?". Bran almost dancing amongst the rooftops, and "You always look at your feet when you lie."

I'm sorry, I'm tearing up...

Some of mine are, perhaps, a bit odd in context, but I have noted before that I am drawn in more by the human drama than by the grander scope of the story itself - at least, as far as the acting goes. I can be impressed by a scene without feeling it, and the scenes below were not only impressive, but evoked an emotional response. Thus:

1. Visery's speech to Dany that he "would let the whole khalasar fuck you, all forty thousand men AND their horses" - followed by a tender kiss on the top of her head. My God, if nothing else can illustrate how deeply twisted and terribly malign that man was, this was it. What he was saying to her was bad enough, in and of itself. But to say something like that to your own sister, and then give her such a tender display of affection, is just... ugh. *shivers*

2. The conversation between Robert and Cersei - a rare glimpse of the two of them interacting without fighting. Something we never got to see in the books, and it helped me to understand a wee bit better why they stayed married when they obviously despised one another on a gut level. It was the only time I've ever felt true sympathy for Cersei, and I never thought I'd feel it at all. But that one scene, with her half-sad little smile and "Our marriage," made me think of her as a human being rather than a stereotypical villain.

3. Arya's sword lessons. Wow, wow, and wow. Syrio's vague, fluttery movements, his speech mannerisms, and his strange way of mixing the utterly impersonal ("You are a sword, that is all.") and the deeply personal ("You are worried about your father, yes?") made him a joy to watch. I wish I'd gotten to hear him tell the tale of the Sealord's cat, but adding in his advice to Arya when she's distressed made up for it. The music was flawless, very airy but sharp. I lost myself in the scenes completely and didn't want them to end.

4. I've gushed about the scene between Dany and Jorah at the pyre before, so I won't yammer on and on about it, but I will say that Iain Glen's acting was some of the best I have ever seen. The ferocity of his edict ("I won't watch you burn") is expressed in his face, his jaw, his neck, so much more than his words. And the poleaxed look when she kisses his cheek, followed by looking down to compose himself, was priceless. We never got to see his passion for her in the book (at least not until later, and even then it was strongly sexual) but this scene illustrated the tragedy of his feelings for her more eloquently than any words.

5. Perhaps most oddly of all, Theon's farewell to Ros as she's heading to King's Landing. The one crack in Theon's armor that we've been shown so far - a desire to be desirable, in some way. He tells her "I'll miss you!" as she's riding away, and all she can do is smile and say "I know." When even the prostitutes reject him in that kind of fashion, you can understand why he'd go a little bonkers down the road. His is a sad and lonely life, and Ros was the vehicle by which we were shown how lonely he really is.

6. And lastly, but certainly not least, the sparring between Petyr and Varys in the last episode. Two incredibly gifted and sneaky men, measuring one another up and poking at each other's armor, trying to find a weakness. It was brilliant, gloriously malicious, and did so very much to illustrate just how subtle the currents of power can be. The framing of the shot (the two of them, backlit, facing one another) added to the feeling of two implacable forces rubbing up against one another and beginning the long slow struggle for supremacy.

Strange - over half of my "shining moments" were not even book-moments. Perhaps they stuck out because they were unexpected, or perhaps because they made me look at the characters involved in a new way. And oh dear God, one of them involved Ros (the McNugget)* too! But I don't mind admitting, they deepened the experience for me as a whole, and I am pleasantly surprised that D&D managed to not only do the books justice, but actually improve upon the experience for me in the process. Sneaky basstids made changes, and made me like 'em. Grrrrrr.

* In Fenril-speak, a McNugget is a "vehicle" character that exists only to deliver the flavor of another character through interaction - much like those rubbery little fried protein-blobs exist only to transmit the wonderfully gooey sticky savory sauce to your mouth.

1. Loved Sansa's reply to Joff when he says he will give Sansa her brothers head and Sansa replies "perhaps he will give me yours", and then considers pushing him off the bridge.

2. Ned's execution. I hate to say it but WOW!!! Beautifully done. When Ned said "Baelor" to Yoren. Just a small change that totally changed the scene in a gut wrenching kind of way.

3. The prologue. First glimpse of the Wall and Whitewalkers.

Their were many more moments in between but i'm afraid i can't quote every Tyrion line.

My three stand out moments from the series were these;

1) Viserys being crowned, and the satisfying thud when his head hit the ground

2) Syrio forel and the first dancing lesson

3) The excecution, which was filmed brilliantly.

It was hard to choose tho, because so much of the dialougue was taken straight from the book it was like seeing the characters come alive on the TV.

Cant wait for next season, and season three will be one of the TV events of the decade if they can get it renewed.

Not my absolute favorite moment, but Robin Arryn with some wet (milk?) on his face... Priceless! :stillsick: Was in the first ep with him, 4 or 5? Can't remember. A very small meta moment, I know, but it really (reeeeally) freaked me out and made me laugh.

Arya and Syrio ("not today").

Theon's reaction (to everything).

"what do you want Bronn? Gold? Women? Golden women?" etc.. :owned:

Back of Ned's head.

Sansa's evil eye.

Joffrey rubbing his finger on the Iron Throne. :uhoh:

Varys is so awesome!!! ("not today my lord"...) What connection does he have with Syrio? Hmmmm? Valar Morghulis anyone?

Dany and the pillow, I cried like a baby.

No mention for Catelyn's capture of Tyrion? Fairley did a nice job of it.

Agreed, didn't like her for the first half of the season- but she's great in the second half... Lady Stoneheart is in good hands.

Arya's first lesson, I can watch that scene over 100 times.

LC Mormont's speech was awesome as well.

Ned explaining to Arya why family needs to stick together.

Robb calling the banners.

And one that hasn't been mentioned. Viserys taking the eggs and being stopped by Jorah. Harry Lloyd just nailed that scene that gave Viserys such depth of character. It was that scene that made the crowning scene later so dramatic.

In no particular order...

1. Ned's excecution--the entire scene was flawless. Seeing him save Arya was a nice touch.

2. Syrio Forel takes on half a dozen knights with a wooden practice sword--I loved the choreography in the fight sequence, and his last exchange with Arya is just sad. "What do we say to the god of death?"

3. Littlefinger and Varys facing off in the finale--the whole exchange is wonderful, but I especially love that one shot of them facing one another with the stained glass window behind them. It's like these guys are the chessmasters moving people and events along like pieces on a board.

4. Sansa's quiet "He will."--Episode 8 ended on a whimper rather than a bang, and it was perfect. Seeing poor Sansa bullied by the whole King and council is painful, even if you are not a big Sansa fan. But when Joffery offers to spare her father's life as long as he confesses, and Sansa is just so sure that he will, it is just tragic. This was my favorite Sansa moment in the season (even compared with her scene with Joffery in the finale). This scene defines her character: weak, naive, still believing that things are going to turn out like they do in her songs, and quietly brave against a room full of adults, like a lamb among wolves.

5. Tyrion gets knocked out before the big battle--Mwahahahaha...I actually laughed out loud during this scene. Okay, so it didn't really happen that way in the book. (But if they aren't actually going to show the battle anyway...) I actually thought having Tyrion keep getting into fights with hulking knights and mountain people and coming out alive, when he's not a trained fighter like his brother is unbelievable. So I liked that they did it this way.

6. Barristan Selmy's dismissal--Ser Berristan rocks. "Even now I could cut through the five of you like carving a cake!" And I believe him. I loved it when he threw his sword down before the boy king.

7. The birth of the dragons--everything I could have wanted it to be. Loved the scenes leading up to it. Dany's fiery footprints as she walks up to the pyre. The expressions on Jorah's face when he thinks he's losing her. Glad they kept her hair for the big reveal. And having the cry of the newborn dragon carry over into the darkness as the screen goes black was just awesome.

8. The death of Drogo--not something I was expecting to feel much about. I was not overly fond of the character in the book, nor did I find his death very moving. But seeing Emilia Clarke crying over him and trying to talk to him was just so sad.

9. Old Nan tells Bran a story--and it's a scary one. "Fear is for the Long Night, when the sun hides for years and children are born, and live, and die all in darkness...Thousands of years ago, there came a Night that lasted a generation..." I loved the old woman's voice as she was telling the story, and since we as the audience are privy to some of the dark happenings beyond the Wall, and know that the White Walkers are real and moving, the whole story takes on another layer of meaning. This was the scene that let us know the danger of whatever it is that has begun stirring beyond the Wall. Later Lord Mormont's speech to Jon Snow adds to the feeling, as does Osha telling Bran that Robb should be taking his army north instead of south. It's like that old saying that the greatest trick the Devil ever played was convincing the world that he doesn't exist. No one in the south even believes in things like the White Walkers anymore...they are just things out of stories...

Ah, that's all I can think of now. There's so many great scenes for just 10 episodes!

9. Old Nan tells Bran a story--and it's a scary one. "Fear is for the Long Night, when the sun hides for years and children are born, and live, and die all in darkness...Thousands of years ago, there came a Night that lasted a generation..." I loved the old woman's voice as she was telling the story, and since we as the audience are privy to some of the dark happenings beyond the Wall, and know that the White Walkers are real and moving, the whole story takes on another layer of meaning. This was the scene that let us know the danger of whatever it is that has begun stirring beyond the Wall. Later Lord Mormont's speech to Jon Snow adds to the feeling, as does Osha telling Bran that Robb should be taking his army north instead of south. It's like that old saying that the greatest trick the Devil ever played was convincing the world that he doesn't exist. No one in the south even believes in things like the White Walkers anymore...they are just things out of stories...

I can't remember where I saw the quote, but someone said she "out-Nan'd Old Nan", lol. She really was perfect, a lovely touch for such a minor character.

Another moment that i have to mention - in the episode where Benjen's horse returns alone, Sam and Jon are on the wall and Sam is saying that they should sound the horn. "Once for rangers returning, twice for wildlings, three times for-" and is then cut off by Jon who realises the horse has no rider. For me this was a pretty cool moment, reminding me of the prologue of ASOS.

A lot of people seem to like Syrio and the "dance lessons", but I found these the most weak in the whole thing. The way he was fending off the knights with the wooden stick made me cringe, as in the book he is aiming for unprotected areas, whereas in the show he was literally just giving them a little tap on the helm. Also, he wasn't as good a sword fighter as he could have been; he was a bit podgy; and he looked like Lionel Richie.

In no particular order, my top ten:

1) Mormont's speech voice-over when they prepare to go Beyond the Wall

2) Tyrion's "confession"

3) Arya's first dancing lesson with Syrio, soooo cool, could watch it over and over and over again. Completely faithful to the book, too.

4) Syrio's last stand :( <3

5) Robert giving Cersei the badge of honour + the line "wear it in silence or I'll honour you again" (ah, if only they had kept that scene where she slaps Ned too, go full circle...)

6) Tyrion slaps Joffrey (preferably to

)

7) Ned's beheading. Very moving and well-filmed, the "Baelor!" addition is heartbreaking, probably the best improvement from the books.

8) "Call the banners."

9) Ser Barristan's dismissal

10) Sansa and the heads, probably the actress's strongest moment here

#1 and #7 are probably my favourite scenes overall. Had chills when it happened.

Best moments:

Other than a few crowning achievements, a lot of my favorite moments were actually added scenes we don't get to see in the books (due to PoV issues), or scenes that were changed for the better. I think it's because I could come to those scenes without preconceptions, and so when they nailed it, it was like adding new chapters to the books!

e.g.:

Cersei and Robert's "conversation" (say what you will about Lena Headey's Cersei, in that scene she just DRIPPED VENOM and I ate up every second of it).

Jorah confronting Viserys about the eggs ("Here I Stand"!!? Hell Yeah! Also I think Harry Lloyd's strongest scene other than his last, I love the desperation and sad notes he brought).

Tyrion's "confession"! OMG!

Jaime and Jory chatting was a nice moment, it's interesting to see how frustrating it must be to be Jaime... and Jory is just so cute and naive "can I give you the message?"

Every single scene with Sam in it. "hmm... Didn't know where to put it?" "I knew where to put it!" :rofl:

(I'm also a big fan of the pre-pyre scene and the crowning scene because I'm an unrepentant Dany fan forever).

A lot of people seem to like Syrio and the "dance lessons", but I found these the most weak in the whole thing. The way he was fending off the knights with the wooden stick made me cringe, as in the book he is aiming for unprotected areas, whereas in the show he was literally just giving them a little tap on the helm. Also, he wasn't as good a sword fighter as he could have been; he was a bit podgy; and he looked like Lionel Richie.

Yeah I agree... I think I'm definitely in the minority but TV Syrio just didn't work for me. I was always vaguely... embarrassed when watching his scenes.

:leaving:

Yeah I agree... I think I'm definitely in the minority but TV Syrio just didn't work for me. I was always vaguely... embarrassed when watching his scenes.

:stunned: :stunned: :stunned: :stunned: :stunned: :stunned: :stunned: :stunned: :stunned: :stunned:

Leave.

Archived