Just finished A Stormof Swords and a little... Worried about starting AFFC

LordBaelish

I have just finished reading a Storm of Swords, I'm reading the series for the first time. I found out about this series fairly recently, it was on a recomended list of books to read on Peter V Brett's website.

I fortunately read A Game of Thrones before I started watching the tv show, although the tv show is fantastic I think the book is far better.

Back on to the topic. I have only just started reading AFFC (Finished prologue and the first two chapters) and it seems a little harder to get into than the others, although I won't judge so early at all.

Fortunately I won't have to worry about the long wait this time as so many others have, but on the other hand, I feel so deprived to have not known about this series since the beginning! (Although I was perhaps a little too young to read AGOT in 1996)

I am hoping that AFFC is as good as the other but I am prepared from several reviews to have to 'endure' the first half of the book. There is no way I would skip any of the books though. I hope to have this book finished at some point next week and then start using this forum properly without fear of reading spoilers which is why I am going to stick to these subforums for now.

I have just finished reading a Storm of Swords, I'm reading the series for the first time. I found out about this series fairly recently, it was on a recomended list of books to read on Peter V Brett's website.

I fortunately read A Game of Thrones before I started watching the tv show, although the tv show is fantastic I think the book is far better.

Back on to the topic. I have only just started reading AFFC (Finished prologue and the first two chapters) and it seems a little harder to get into than the others, although I won't judge so early at all.

Fortunately I won't have to worry about the long wait this time as so many others have, but on the other hand, I feel so deprived to have not known about this series since the beginning! (Although I was perhaps a little too young to read AGOT in 1996)

I am hoping that AFFC is as good as the other but I am prepared from several reviews to have to 'endure' the first half of the book. There is no way I would skip any of the books though. I hope to have this book finished at some point next week and then start using this forum properly without fear of reading spoilers which is why I am going to stick to these subforums for now.

It is not as easy to get into as the others. Except for the following things:

1) Some interesting information about Arya

2) A minor mystery is built into AFFC - a secret identity. The first clues are in the prologue.

3) The prologue and the last chapter are bookends of a sort. Pay attention, you'll get something fun out of it.

Other than that, it's a pretty "mellow" read - not a ton of exciting stuff going on. Especially that trip to Cracklaw point, oi.

Thank you, I don't really mind how hard it is to get into, I have massively enjoyed the series so far so no matter what I'm going to read this and look forward to ADWD.

Now you have set me wondering, I'm thinking abou the prologue and I can't think of any clues in there. You'll have to stick around for when I've finished the book incase I don't get it!

I'm right on pace with Lord Baelish here. I read the prologue and the first few chapters.

Like most prologues I found it boring and useless but I'm sure I'll be re-reading it when I finish the book like I did with the first three.

I find the Damphair to be boring and I don't love the Ironmen story line. I'm just waiting for that part to fall apart. The Iron Islands just seem way to small to sustain a meaningful threat.

Dorne on the other hand is awsome. I loved the Red Viper's fight with the Mountain and I hope his daughters are as interesting. I think the Sand Snakes could be a very cool addition to the story.

I'm glad there is an Arya story line... but I'm worried about it. She's heading in the wrong direction. I was really hoping she'd get back up north and be reunited with at least one family member. She's definately the character I'm rooting for but am most worried about her final outcome.

I know from the posters here that everyone is in love with Brienne. I could take her or leave her... I'm hoping I'll learn what the big deal is soon.

And the Cersi chapter was better than her dying... well almost.... I hope the entire book is her screwing up one thing after another as he life falls apart and her sanity frays. She deserves nothing but the very worst....

I'd love to hear more thoughts on the first read of AFFC and since there is no message board for it, maybe we can use this one?

I have found all of the prologues boring so far with the exception of A Game of Thrones prologue.

Nice to see somebody along the same lines as me JD4, when did you first start reading ASOIAF?

I'm not particularly fond of the ironmen storyline either, it just isn't really doing it for me. The rest of the book so far has been good, I rather liked the Brienne chapter. I don't think I'll get much chance to read this weekend so you'll get rather ahead of me I would presume.

The first Dorne chapter was rather interesting I'm looking forward to see what happens there.

Let me know what you're thinking so far JD4, but just be careful not to post any spoilers I don't know who is further into the book right now.

Hi'there,

I have read the first few chapters of AFFC..... I've read a lot of critique on the book, but am actually looking forward to a slower pace after ASOS, especially the last quarter was so actionpacked!. I'm just about to start the first Cersei-chapter, which I have also been looking forward to. It should be interesting to hear her thoughts and discover if she is really as evil-minded as she seems, or if getting it told from her perspective can give me some understanding as to why she's susch a bitch;-) One of the things that makes ASOIAF so good is that we get to live the "bad" characters lives as well as the good, it creates so much more nuance and depths to the novels. I loved the Jamie-chapters in ASOS, they really gave a picture of the man beneath the arrogance. Maybe the Cersei-chapters can do the same(although I doubt it, cause she is really awful), that would really be an accomplishment of Mr. Martin, if he could make me even feel a tiny bit for Cersei.

Must read on now!

I'm right on pace with Lord Baelish here. I read the prologue and the first few chapters.

Like most prologues I found it boring and useless but I'm sure I'll be re-reading it when I finish the book like I did with the first three.

I find the Damphair to be boring and I don't love the Ironmen story line. I'm just waiting for that part to fall apart. The Iron Islands just seem way to small to sustain a meaningful threat.

Dorne on the other hand is awsome. I loved the Red Viper's fight with the Mountain and I hope his daughters are as interesting. I think the Sand Snakes could be a very cool addition to the story.

I'm glad there is an Arya story line... but I'm worried about it. She's heading in the wrong direction. I was really hoping she'd get back up north and be reunited with at least one family member. She's definately the character I'm rooting for but am most worried about her final outcome.

I know from the posters here that everyone is in love with Brienne. I could take her or leave her... I'm hoping I'll learn what the big deal is soon.

And the Cersi chapter was better than her dying... well almost.... I hope the entire book is her screwing up one thing after another as he life falls apart and her sanity frays. She deserves nothing but the very worst....

I'd love to hear more thoughts on the first read of AFFC and since there is no message board for it, maybe we can use this one?

Totally agree about the Damphair-chapters.....tedious, and I can only hope that Brienne will grow a sense of humor at some point. Apart from that, I'm enjoying Crows a lot!!! The Cersei-chapters, where I actually anticipated getting some insight as to why she is such a bitch...Instead she just gets even worse: Arrogant to the point of delusions of grandeur, paranoia and now she's becoming a drunk as well. Can't deny it feels kinda good to have her suffer some, after the way she has treated the Starks.

Hi'there,

I have read the first few chapters of AFFC..... I've read a lot of critique on the book, but am actually looking forward to a slower pace after ASOS, especially the last quarter was so actionpacked!. I'm just about to start the first Cersei-chapter, which I have also been looking forward to. It should be interesting to hear her thoughts and discover if she is really as evil-minded as she seems, or if getting it told from her perspective can give me some understanding as to why she's susch a bitch;-) One of the things that makes ASOIAF so good is that we get to live the "bad" characters lives as well as the good, it creates so much more nuance and depths to the novels. I loved the Jamie-chapters in ASOS, they really gave a picture of the man beneath the arrogance. Maybe the Cersei-chapters can do the same(although I doubt it, cause she is really awful), that would really be an accomplishment of Mr. Martin, if he could make me even feel a tiny bit for Cersei.

Must read on now!

Oh, I forgot: Loooove the queen of thornes,she's one of my new favorite characters. A great opponent to Cersei in the scheming-department:-)

Totally agree about the Damphair-chapters.....tedious, and I can only hope that Brienne will grow a sense of humor at some point. Apart from that, I'm enjoying Crows a lot!!! The Cersei-chapters, where I actually anticipated getting some insight as to why she is such a bitch...Instead she just gets even worse: Arrogant to the point of delusions of grandeur, paranoia and now she's becoming a drunk as well. Can't deny it feels kinda good to have her suffer some, after the way she has treated the Starks.

Thank you! I've just finished it, and though I missed Tyrion and Jon, I think it's the one I've enjoyed the most of the books...Probably cause it's more character-driven than the others.

Welcome to the boards all of you!

AFFC is one of the best novels ever written, period. You are in for a real treat. And don't worry about the prologue, it pays off in spades at the very end of the book!

Looks like one of the things we can all agree on is that AFFC can (and will) divide the fandom's opinion. I for one love the Iron Islands storylines that others seem to abhor, the Dorne chapters I like or not depending on my mood when I'm reading them, and I cringe every time I turn a page and find BRIENNE in the chapter header. But it seems that another thing we can all agree on is that for all its shortcomings, AFFC beats most fantasy books any day of the week.

I'm in the same position. I've just finished ASOS and I'm about to start AFFC. All the reviews and comments I've read about the book have left me a bit trepidatious. I've loved the series so far, and I'm worried that this book may sour my experience.

Nevertheless, I am going to read it and hopefully be done with it in time for the release of ADWD on the 12th. I'm really looking forward to taking part in the discussions that follow.

Hmm, boring sure, but I can't understand how anybody with hindsight could see any of the prologue's as 'useless'.

The prologue for AGOT was something right out of the gate to let you know there was something mysterious building past the wall. If that hadn't been included, then for the entire first book people would be saying, "The Wall is full of crap, there's nothing past there." Martin wanted you to know they weren't crazy.

Prologue for ACOK sets up Stannis's personality (Which, yes, we could get from Davos, but still) and also the influence that Melisandre is having on his followers and, similar to AGOT, to let you know she's not crazy. Sure, all her 'magic' might be a hoax, but she is still dangerous and, as evidence from Cressen's attempt at poisoning her, does have some sort of mysterious stuff going on with her.

Prologue for ASOS is just awesome, I'm not really sure how anybody could say it's boring. Since we're in the ASOS forum, I'm not going to go into why it's important, but there's some foreshadowing and you get to hate Chett, and Chett sucks.

Prologue for Feast is ponderous, until you read the last chapter and then go back and act on your suspicions and look at the description for a certain character back in Clash.

I definitely agree that AFFC was hard for me to get into, too. I think there is a huge gap of pace and style if you read it directly after ASOS and expect a direct continuation of the things happening at the end. And of course there is that unsatisfied longing to read about the characters that are omitted entirely in this book, safe from being mentioned a few times.

Well I haven't been able to read any of it for over a week now. I've been quite bad with an eye infection and unable to do much really. But hopefully I shall now crackon and read like hell for the next few days to be finished in time for ADWD!

Well, reading with hurting eyes doesn't sound like fun, so don't rush it.

I finished the last few pages of AFFC today and didn't read the special preview to ADWD yet. Though I am eager to read on, I think the waiting for the next two books will be as hard and long as winter in Westeros. So maybe I will wait a little bit with ADWD :-)

Yeah I'm not rushing it. I think I will start reading it again after the weekend and start ADWD next weekend.

I wouldn't be able to put off reading it. I am far too addicted to ASOIAF to not read something when it is available.

So, Ser Celery, what did you think to AFFC then?

Yeah I'm not rushing it. I think I will start reading it again after the weekend and start ADWD next weekend.

I wouldn't be able to put off reading it. I am far too addicted to ASOIAF to not read something when it is available.

So, Ser Celery, what did you think to AFFC then?

I confess, I read the sample chapter anyway and bought ADWD today, the kindle-edition which I read on my android phone. That was how I came upon the series in the first place, through a sample of the first book, that got me hooked :-) Ordered the four book set then.

But I'm taking it slow now, I kinda raced through the first 4 books, but well, they were quite captivating.

As for A Feast For Crows, I thought it was very decent, especially towards the end it picked up pace. Only the prologue made me put it aside a few times, but the rest was good imho.

Archived