Natalie Dormer Now a Tyrell Rose

Westeros

Natalie Dormer, perhaps best known as Anne Boleyn in The Tudors, has been cast as Margaery Tyrell—only daughter of Lord Mace Tyrell and sister to the Knight of Flowers, Ser Loras—according to EW’s James Hibberd. There’s minor spoilers in Hibberd’s post, if you don’t want to know where Margaery fits into the story, don’t look.

Admittedly, Dormer is rather older than we had expected for this role, but of course she will doubtless play younger. Dormer is 29, while Finn Jones is 23—Loras is about a year older than Margaery in the novels, on the other hand.

Perhaps most notable about the news is the fact that Hibberd states she’s joining the regular cast of the series. The show—famous for having quite the large regular cast—seems likely to be expanding Margaery’s presence in the TV show, as compared to the novel, where she appears in what’s essentially two scenes.

Visit the Site!

Are they expanding her role? I'd really, really, really hate that. We'll only get 10 episodes and quite a lot happens in Clash - if they want to expand Robb's role and

advance some of Jon's, Jaime's and Dany's story from SoS

, I don't think we have any more time for Margaery. Maybe she was cast as a regular because of

S3, if they renew it

and because she is a relatively known actress, who probably has a good agent.

I remember that in The Tudors, there was a guy who was cast as a regular but he barely appeared and another who was in almost every episode and was just a guest star (the latter was the Spanish ambassador, maybe the former was too), because of how much pull they had and what was in the contract. I can only hope this doesn't mean that they'll expand her role in the series *too much*. There's no room for it!

And I'm calling it...

We'll get a Renly/Margaery sex scene and people will complain about it.

And I'm calling it...

We'll get a Renly/Margaery sex scene and people will complain about it.

Given that the description of the bedding of Renly and Margaery as described by the Lady Taena in AFFC was pretty clear that Renly had an erection -- and that Loras was in the room as he developed one -- I'm not so sure how that will all shake down :) It would be interesting for Renly to end up with Loras on his wedding night, as Margaery throws on a robe and goes to read a book by the fire as the steamy gay sex scene unfolds on the bed behind her!

On the plus side, at least Margaery starts "naked as her name day" in the same scene!

On the whole regular cast aspect of things: Conleth Hill, the actor who portrays Varys, needs recognition in the opening credits. It's amazing that Rory McCann (our strong and silent Hound) got opening credits billing and Conleth Hill, an actor with a bazillion more lines (and more importance, too) did not. I know that the difference comes down to agents negotiating terms -- but still.

Hmmm I have seen her on the Tudors a bit, and I'd say she is a decent actress for sure. That being said, I really dislike this choice x.x my tune may change when I actually see her performance but it just feels wrong to me. Dormer is 29 and while I know that Sean Bean in almost 20 years older than his book counterpart, his character had an older, wiser, feel to him IMO. I think she looks quite young for 29 and I know they have aged up all the characters in general, but there is no way she can pass for a teenager. From my reading of the series Marge seemed mature for her age emotionally, but her youth was a big part of her character. Here's this 16 year old girl going head to head with Cersei and the Lannisters. A slyer/more confident version of Sansa in a way. That's what I liked about her, she's another child playing the GOT. I think having her a full grown woman kind of takes away from her character in a sense.

It should be pointed out, the large amount of speculation, built on speculation, going on in this thread and being complained about...

Dormer is much older than book Margaery, yes, but she can and does look young, and beside the "old maiden" reason, is there a plot-restrictive reason for her not to be Loras's older sister on the show?

Just a thought.

It should be pointed out, the large amount of speculation, built on speculation, going on in this thread and being complained about...

Dormer is much older than book Margaery, yes, but she can and does look young, and beside the "old maiden" reason, is there a plot-restrictive reason for her not to be Loras's older sister on the show?

Just a thought.

I don't think there is any reason why they must mention if she is older or younger at all on the show. In fact, I think it would be odd if they made any mention of it whatsoever, it's not like it would exactly flow into everyday conversation.

She's definitely pretty, but I'll hold praise until we actually see her on-screen. From the pictures I've seen of her, she looks a little old to be playing someone who is not much older than Sansa (only 3 years, if I recall correctly).

On the other hand, I've seen some . . . adult pictures of her from The Tudors, and in one of them she does look like she could portray 19 or 20.

From the pictures I've seen of her, she looks a little old to be playing someone who is not much older than Sansa (only 3 years, if I recall correctly).

She doesn't need to be a character that young. I think she can play older Margaery that's around 23-25 years old. The tone of some of Margaery's stuff would change from her being that age, but it's still workable, especially with a capable actress like Dormer. She won't be the exact same Margaery from the books, but a lot of characters have and will continue to change for the TV series.

She doesn't need to be a character that young. I think she can play older Margaery that's around 23-25 years old. The tone of some of Margaery's stuff would change from her being that age, but it's still workable, especially with a capable actress like Dormer. She won't be the exact same Margaery from the books, but a lot of characters have and will continue to change for the TV series.

Well, Margie's age is a bit less crucial than that of, say, Robb, or Sansa. But they would have to readjust a lot of plot if they pass her as mid-20. Or they just pull off a Lane Kim ...

I can't understand all the criticism.

Yep, she is older than Marg but everyone is older and I think that with make up and everything she will look perfectly like a girl of 23/25.

Having said that, since she will be a regular and she is older than her book counterpart, I would not be surprised if they merge her charachter with the QoT.

I mean, it would be really economic and would give more charisma to Marge charachter.

Wow, she looks a lot like how I imagined Margaery. Whether she's 16 or in her early 20s doesn't matter - either way she's politically precocious. The regular cast billing probably has more to do with agents than screentime, but I'm sure she'll be great. :)

Yes. An option. I think we'll see a QoT but there is that possibility.

Yep, there will be a QoT but what I'm saying is that Margery could be the player of the game in the Tyrrel family and not just a pawn in the QoT plans. That could work really well for the showdown with Cersei in AFfC.

HBO is probably expanding upon Margaery Tyrell's initial role in book two for season two, aside from her larger role that evolves in later books. They need a strong female actor to be an antipodal to Cersei. Natalie Dormer can pull this off. Her casting should make for some excellent scenes with Lena Headey. Aside from being stunningly gorgeous, Natalie is an excellent actor. I'm sure HBO has something up their sleeve here. With regards to age, Natalie has a very young looking face and I did not even realize she was 29. As most have said, this shouldn't be an issue, especially with most of the characters being aged up anyway, and would just make the impact of a certain political move, with respect to the character, look even more political.

Margaery is never called "hot". These are the same people who appear to think Catelyn is described as a beauty, I suppose, even though she never is. What Margaery is specifically called is "pretty". Which to me means she's ... well, pretty and cute, but not a stunner. Loras is the beautiful one.

Archived