Natalie Dormer Now a Tyrell Rose

Westeros

Dormer is an amazing actress and she can easily pull off early twenties with acting abilities alone.

Sean Bean's age difference with his character was bigger and he did a good job too.

I'm going to love seeing Natalie plot against another queen again, especially since this one fights dirty (unlike Catherine of Aragon in the Tudors). :fencing:

As I mentioned on twitter, he is 29 playing a 16 year-old, which is no major issue but when you consider her future interactions with Joffrey and Tommen, it just seems strange and I can't see how they are going to pull it off. An earlier post here mentioned that she id effectively a more cunning, smarter version of Sansa and I agree.

They'll pull it off in the same way marriages were pulled off in medieval times. Needs must. Cersei didn't like Tommen marrying Margarey in either case.

People raged against the ageing up of characters in S1. Nobody shouldn't be surprised that they aged characters up in S2 also. Its a change yes, but its still ends up as Cersei v young pretender. Not a real difference at all.

If they do expande her role however, they must surely be faced with leaving a fair bit of CoK out, given how much they have to fit into 10 episodes.

I don't think she'll have that many scenes but given that we have heard we'll see more of Jaime and more of Robb, it all does begin to add together. Hopefully in 9 months time people will have adapted to the fact that S2 will not follow aCoK as closely as S1 followed aGoT. Save people a lot of angst. :)

Well, I guess my Ellen Page expectations were a bit too much.

I dunno. Was Margaery extremely sarcastic in the books?

I'm fine with the casting. They've knocked just about every casting choice out of the park in season 1. They know what they're doing.

Maybe they're aging Margaery up and she'll be older than Loras. Dormer is not that old (and what the hell with all these comments about how she's ugly, because I'm completely not seeing it) but at 29 she's a real stretch to play Margaery Tyrell. Even for some of the stretches the casting has pulled already, this is a bit much.

In the first episode of the Tudors she appeared and also acted as a teenager there, which she did well enough. No doubt she can still pass as early twenties or even nineteen.

Holiday Granger is 23 and played a 14 year old Lucretia Borgia perfectly, so an actress of Natalie's quality should have no trouble aging down a lot.

On a note unrelated to her age; I don't think she's going to be a regular this season. I think EW was wrong on that.

I don't know how many times I've seen a news report that so-and-so is "joining the cast" of a given TV series, when it turns out they're just showing up a few times in a guest role. The one that sticks out most in my mind is when Alan Alda appeared on ER. Every ad I saw talking about it made it sound like he was becoming a regular. The reality? A six-episode guest run. By season 8 of that show I understood that if I hear a well-known actor being touted as "joining the cast" of ER, that meant "this season's big guest star."

And that's just one show. I've heard ONE-SHOT guest stars described as "joining the cast" of given TV series.

No, I think Dormer will be a guest star this year and a regular the following years. We'll have to see.

On a note unrelated to her age; I don't think she's going to be a regular this season. I think EW was wrong on that.

No, I think Dormer will be a guest star this year and a regular the following years. We'll have to see.

Based on what? I mean other than you disagree, and this has happened a couple of times before? (That you say)

I don't know how many times I've seen a news report that so-and-so is "joining the cast" of a given TV series, when it turns out they're just showing up a few times in a guest role. The one that sticks out most in my mind is when Alan Alda appeared on ER. Every ad I saw talking about it made it sound like he was becoming a regular. The reality? A six-episode guest run. By season 8 of that show I understood that if I hear a well-known actor being touted as "joining the cast" of ER, that meant "this season's big guest star."

And that's just one show. I've heard ONE-SHOT guest stars described as "joining the cast" of given TV series.

But if she's going to be a regular on the next seasons, wouldn't she be considered regular even on the second, even though her appearances will be few? How do these contracts work?

But if she's going to be a regular on the next seasons, wouldn't she be considered regular even on the second, even though her appearances will be few? How do these contracts work?

They would contract her for only the episodes she'll appear in for this season, and as a regular for the next two. It's done all the time.

This season she doesn't appear in the opening credits, next year she does. It's quite simple.

And I'm not suggesting I must be right; I'm suggesting this is a feeling I have based on the sheer number of times (and it's not just a couple, it's pretty much any time a well-known actor signs to a show, no matter the number of appearances) that actors who are joining for "multiple episodes", be it 2 or be it practically the entire season are actually just guest stars.

Remember that getting your name in the opening credits is an automatic salary bump. You cannot put everyone there or your show becomes prohibitively expensive.

And I'm not suggesting I must be right; I'm suggesting this is a feeling I have based on the sheer number of times (and it's not just a couple, it's pretty much any time a well-known actor signs to a show, no matter the number of appearances) that actors who are joining for "multiple episodes", be it 2 or be it practically the entire season are actually just guest stars.

I don't see how she could be appearing that much in S2. We can be pretty sure that she wouldn't be appearing more than Loras and Renly. Renly appeared in 5 episodes in S1 IIRC. Something similar for Dormer is possible.

OTOH, I don't see why they'd bother casting Dormer if they were happy to keep Margarey low profile. Sure, she has a bigger role in any S3 (although she could easily have been a background character even there) but I can't imagine they were so excited about casting her that they'd give her any role at all in S2, with the hint that they'd expand the role in S3.

I don't see how she could be appearing that much in S2. We can be pretty sure that she wouldn't be appearing more than Loras and Renly. Renly appeared in 5 episodes in S1 IIRC. Something similar for Dormer is possible.

They aren't paying someone of her name to stay off screen though. Aiden Gillen, who plays Littlefinger, a non-POV character, had had tons of extra scenes and dialog. They even stole lines from The Hound to give to him. Based on HBO's track record with Littlefinger I would expect Margaery to have lots of extra lines and scenes setting her up for the third season and beyond.

What's funny is that they cut out all mention of her in the first season of the show. Renly shows Ned a picture of her and says "she looks like Lyanna right?" expecting a 'yes'. Ned says no but Renly doesn't seem to mind too much. And later Robert is talking to Ned and says that he really wants to meet this Margaery that he's heard so much about. The plan was that Renly and Stannis would expose Cersei and her bastard children, kill her, and then have Robert marry Maegary. I guess all of that is just lost on non-readers at this point.

OTOH, I don't see why they'd bother casting Dormer if they were happy to keep Margarey low profile. Sure, she has a bigger role in any S3 (although she could easily have been a background character even there) but I can't imagine they were so excited about casting her that they'd give her any role at all in S2, with the hint that they'd expand the role in S3.

She's clearly being set up for big things in season two. They cast the role early and announced her before even Stannis or Davos were cast. I am expecting tons and tons of non-canon material from the writer of Wolverine Origins coming at us.

They aren't paying someone of her name to stay off screen though.

I didn't say that though, did I? :)

We can exaggerate her "name" I think also. Sure, she is known but she is no Sean Bean (or even Aidan Gillen).

I am expecting tons and tons of non-canon material from the writer of Wolverine Origins coming at us.

And that's rather unnecessarily snide. Surely the best thing to compare S2 to is S1? S1 was a very faithful adaptation. (Btw, Benioff wasn't the driver behind that Wolverine film. Apparently the film version was changed compared to the Benioff version).

Aidan Gillen was always going to get preferential treatment over the guy playing the Hound. And he was located in the heart of the story (KL). Margarey is located outside the main focus on the story in S2. Having her appear in 8 episodes (for example) means you have to have lots of other (non-central) characters to appear with her. Certainly Renly and Loras would have to have bigger roles also. And while I do think they will have bigger roles, I wouldn't go to the other extreme and put them in the top list of characters.

Its a lot easier to think of Dormer in around 5 episodes, which focus on the big events that happen around her (Renly and her marriage, meeting with Cat, after the shadow baby, arrival of LF, after the battle). Maybe a little more. Maybe a little less. But D&D have tons of material to cover.

I think this is good news. :thumbsup:

Dormer is a very good actress. And as for all these comments about her being ugly - there's no need for these kinds of remarks. If you don't think an actor/actress is suitable for the part, by all means say so, but there's no need to be nasty about it.

I'm certain she'll have more scenes in the series than she did in the book. She'll most likely feature heavily when Littlefinger goes to cut a deal with the Tyrells. I have little doubt she'll have as many appearances as Renly did this season, and probably the groundwork will begin for her main story.

What I doubt is that her name will appear in the opening sequence. At least for this season.

It will be really weird if she has the looks of a midtwentys girl and gets to be married to joffrey and tommen, who we already know to be really young at the show

Only because we are looking at this with modern eyes. Those kind of marriages did happen in medieval times. Not regularly but when needs demanded.

<mod gloves>

Two things: TV-teens are regularly played by actors in their 20s. Most of the cast of Glee, for example, is aged mid- to late-twenties. Secondly, and more importantly, people associated with the HBO production have been known to visit these boards. You may not agree with the casting choices that have made, but personal attacks against the actors and their appearances are unnecessary and unwelcome.

</mod gloves>

Archived