Board Game

Hakiko

Finally tracked down a copy of the board game. Can't wait to get home from work and check it out

Congrats on getting it. I hope you enjoy it. I've played it a few times, and it's quite fun. The only problem I have is finding enough people to play... 3 player games aren't as fun as 5 or 6 player games. I'm looking forward to the Storm of Swords expansion as well.

The game doesn't use dice at all. Instead there are leader cards that you play to modify your attacking or defending strength. Generally, I'd say that there's a lot more strategy involved. You can also use a lot more diplomacy to protect your (or sabotage) someone else's interests. I've heard other boarders say it's more like Diplomacy than Risk, but I haven't played Diplomacy before.

You can go to the Fantasy Flight Games Game of Thrones page for more in depth information about the gameplay and pieces. Plus if you wander over to their forum, you'll find some more discussion of it. Hope that helps!

The board game has ridiculously complicated rules. I recommend having Aghrivaine on hand to explain it. (Or, you know, anyone else who has played it before. But Ag is the resident SoCal authority.)

Once you get how it works, it is a LOT of fun. There is a lot of latitude for making deals with the other houses, bluffing and backstabbing. Also cheating. But you didn't hear about cheating from me.... ;)

• 3 weeks later...
Is the game avaliable in Australia?

yeah we got it here ok. you should still be able to track down a copy in a games shop somewhere. expect to pay about A$80

How many players does it take for a good game?

minimum of 4 (the expansion supports 3, so you could get by with that), but for a good balanced game you need 5. best is to play with 6 and the cok expansion.

• 2 weeks later...

The Game of Thrones Board Game is my favorite board game of all time (and I'm a gamer, I've played dozens and dozens of board games). And even better it's song of ice and fire.

It's 3-5 players (Or if you get the expansion, which I recommend, up to 6 players).

3 player games are great when you're starting out, but as you become more of an expert the larger games tend to be the more interesting ones.

It's vaguely like risk in that it's a geographical map of a world divided into different territories which you all try to conquer. It's nowhere near as simplistic though. I don't consider it to be too complicated ruleswise, though games can become very very interesting when you try to contemplate all the various possible actions of yourself and opponents.

It's also fun for free for all diplomatic dealings, as different players form alliances with each other then break them or use them to get to the top, etc.

One of my favorite parts of the game are that there are no dice and I don't miss them at all. Randomness in the game does occur though, due to Westeros cards (representing events not within the control of the major houses). The rest is all strategy and cunning. You and your opponents play face down orders on all your units in different territories during the Planning Phase, then simultaneously flip them all and resolve them in order. It gets really interesting in terms of attempting to change plans to deal with your enemies' orders while not being able to change your own. Combat is interesting and fun, using a mix of raw brute force, military support, and the strength of your leaders. Very often great mind games occur in terms of who uses which leader (ex. if I use melisandre and you use Tywin, i'll win, but if I use melisandre and you use Jaime, I'll lose, but if you use Jaime and I use Stannis, I'll win....who's going to choose which?)

Honestly though the game takes about half an hour to explain to new players and after their first game they have a good handle on how it works (but probably not yet all the subtle aspects of strategy). In my experience it usually takes about 3 hours for the larger player games.

Again I heartily recommend buying the game and the expansion(expansion gives a bit more complexity to the game when you're ready, and does a bit better job of balancing houses, though the martells are beastly IMO). The board game is a great translation of the book series, and most of your favorite characters are there (unfortunately no Jon Snow or Dany). The diplomacy is spot on, bidding for power over areas of influence is great, and the chesslike mindgames with your opponnents can't be beat. :) buy it. :) (Also the GoT RPG kicks ass, though I haven't tried the card game to speak of that)

• 4 weeks later...
There are several online Game of Thrones sessions ongoing now...check out www.redscape.com. We have adapted it to make use of PBEM. Enjoy!

Presumably you need a copy of the board game to hand to be able to play the online version?

Finally tracked down a copy of the board game. Can't wait to get home from work and check it out

You'll really enjoy it!! It was playing the board that led me to buying and reading the first four book in the series within the space of a month!!

I recommend the BoardGameGeek for info on boardgames in general, with info on A Game of Thrones and the expansion A Storm of Swords in particular.

It's a great site with tons of information.

I haven't had the change to play AGoT yet, but hopefully I'll try it out soon!

Cheers,

Xelforp

You end up doing silly thing in the game now and then.

I've relocated my entire power structure to the North when playing as Tyrells one time, I was getting whipped so I fled via boat to the north and stomped stark and turtled up there.

As greyjoy I once palyed ring-a-ring roses with a stark force around the cities up there. Just running in circles and somehow holding the spawn points whenever a recruitment card came up.

Thebest one was through when I started at the wall with a large group of knight and charged my way down south for a laugh with them. I think I ended up at Kings landing.

The board game is good, but unfortunately my group were only prepared to play it a few times before going back to Axis and Allies (which is great, but we've played it a few too many times now).

I Recomend playing as Barathon, the only problem with them is you need to aquire food quick. They have the advantage of Their base is on an Island and They are not in much danger from Ship attack from either the Greyjoys or the Lannisters. The Martles can get to them but it's Harder to Do it in enogh Time and The Stark Cards are mostly Defence. You are also in easy striking distance of plenty of Spawn Points.

The stark cards in my house are mostly know as the bludegon them to death with castles card. In other words you have to trap them, theres little other ways to go about it with Stark.

Archived