Just had my first awesome moment!

When I read that scene, I decided that I would spend the rest of the evening reading only Dany's chapters until the end of the book. What she did was so epic, I (temporarily) stopped caring about what was happening in Westeros altogether. I'm with you on how awesome it was!

Now we only have to wait two years to see it on screen. :<

I was actually disappointed - did the slave masters seriously never plan for the idea that someone might turn all of the unsullied against them at once? I mean, it's not like the whip is that hard to acquire.

Frankly, if the slave masters were stupid enough not to think of that possibility, they deserved to die.

Totally with you - not only was it epic on first reading - it's STILL epic for me on 25th reading! It's great, it's wonderful.

And yes, GRRM sets lots of things up - and then kicks you in the balls, let's you have a small win and takes away any hope in the next moment, etc. This is one where he set up that actually followed through!!!!

And, FYI, slavers may have been "stupid" enough - but greed does a lot of obfuscation. Also, like guest right, there's an order to the world, and a way of being. That was totally foreign to them to even think that way. She gets what she wants, they get what they want.

Oh man, do you know that I have re-read these books so many times, that I had forgotten what it was like to read that scene for the first time? It really had me going, the dread, disappointment, shades of Lady all over again, Dany this dragon is a part of you, your child, child of three, you can't seriously think that anything is worth trading Drogon away. And then, then! Every time I re-read it, I know what's coming so I wonder things like why the slavers didn't see that one coming, but the truth is I didn't either the first time around.

Thanks for this thread, for bringing it all back. :grouphug:

I was reading along, not really predicting, so I wasn't one of those that "saw it" far off. But what I did see was how the slave trader kept calling Dany a "whore." I was getting so angry and she was acting so cool..so in retrospect, I should have known clearly she would get revenge! GRRM had me so angry every time the man spoke.

I'm new as well :) Have just started part 2 of ASOS, and really enjoying the whole series. I also loved that scene, and while I kind of knew that Dany would never leave Drogon behind, I hadn't figured out how she was going to go about it. Loved the scene though, and I'm thinking it'll be an awesome moment in the TV series as well. I loved Dany in GOT, found her a bit tedious in COK, but I'm enjoying her chapters more again in ASOS

It was predictable but awesome read at the same time. Just wondering though, why her battle-scarred advisers Ser Jorah etc. did not see it coming. Or did they?

I don't think that anybody in her party knew that it was gonna happen just from the mere fact that her ships and all the wedding gifts she received were all ready to be traded for the unsullied. I think Dany's receiving of the whip and rheagel letting off some steam set her off and caught everybody by surprise.

It was predictable but awesome read at the same time. Just wondering though, why her battle-scarred advisers Ser Jorah etc. did not see it coming. Or did they?

I don't think that anybody in her party knew that it was gonna happen just from the mere fact that her ships and all the wedding gifts she received were all ready to be traded for the unsullied. I think Dany's receiving of the whip and rheagel letting off some steam set her off and caught everybody by surprise.

OMGG!! I just finished this chapter 5 minutes ago and had the same exact reaction you did. That was pure awesome! Dany is easily my favorite character. I was disappointed at first like there was no way I thought she would give away drogon and then it flipped on me. I will admit I did not see this coming in any way haha!

I love that this thread exists, because I just read this scene for the first time today and rushed right over here to say the exact same thing. Clearly I'm not the only one who experienced a genuine HELL YEAH moment upon first reading! (And, yes, I can't believe I didn't see it coming, but I was truly broken up thinking she was going to trade away Drogon. I had visions of him breaking free and rejoining her, or of her coming back to get him later, but I really was caught off guard by what actually happened!)

I really like the scene as well, but as has been pointed out the slavers did come across as very, very foolish. It did seem slightly far fetched that they hadn't planned for such an eventuality, especially considering the quality of the soldiers they were selling. GRRM might have made the scene and her plan somewhat more believable by making the Unsullied take to her for giving them their freedom and being the Dragon Mother, but in all honesty I find this to be a rather small complaint. I did love the scene and, unlike in AGoT, Dany is one of my favourite characters so far.

I love that this thread exists, because I just read this scene for the first time today and rushed right over here to say the exact same thing. Clearly I'm not the only one who experienced a genuine HELL YEAH moment upon first reading! (And, yes, I can't believe I didn't see it coming, but I was truly broken up thinking she was going to trade away Drogon. I had visions of him breaking free and rejoining her, or of her coming back to get him later, but I really was caught off guard by what actually happened!)

It was the same for me. Considering the twists GRRM had thrown in the readers path so far I thought that she really would give away Drogon. When things played out the way they did I went "Of course she wouldn't!". :D

• 1 month later...

When I read that scene, I decided that I would spend the rest of the evening reading only Dany's chapters until the end of the book. What she did was so epic, I (temporarily) stopped caring about what was happening in Westeros altogether. I'm with you on how awesome it was!

A thousand times this. Except the temporarily part. Hahahahaha... I generally only re-read Dany's chapters from aSoS. :bowdown:

Nope, Jorah and her bloodriders knew. There's a tiny part the night before: "Dany called Ser Jorah and her bloodriders to her tent. They were the only ones she trusted completely." Implying that's when she revealed what was to happen.

She had to have the trade goods there so that the slavers wouldn't be suspicious. Plus most of her people didn't know.

I knew she wouldn't trade one of her dragons away. IF she had, NO WAY would that dragon be gone forever. I think it was clear SOMETHING was going to happen. But i would no way say that I knew what.

I was actually disappointed - did the slave masters seriously never plan for the idea that someone might turn all of the unsullied against them at once? I mean, it's not like the whip is that hard to acquire.

Frankly, if the slave masters were stupid enough not to think of that possibility, they deserved to die.

This i disagree with. I'm sure the slavers had some idea that at one point, someone would try something like this. But i don't think they would expect the Unsullied to actually attack them, who had trained them to be what they are. The main slaver(i cant remember his name) told them to attack Dany's party.

Still, this is one of, if not, my absolute favorite Dany chapter. She bored the hell out of me in CoK but I am happy her story has gotten better. Nearing better then her story in GoT. But when the dragon melted the slavers face, no pun intended, I about shat.

There have been a few scenes where I just thought at the end, wow she is kinda crazy! Ballsy crazy. She almost seems to get a little bit of a high off of it, and it makes me think these are times we can maybe glimpse a destiny and purpose for Dany that's bigger than even conquering Westeros. And of course, after I think about how crazy she is, I realize... yeah, I guess she really is a Targaryen!

Archived