Bronn or Sandor Clegane?

Andhaira

But brawn and reach is not all that wins fights. Brains are important as well, and Bronn has them in spades. He used his mind to win at the Vale. He had a solid plan against Gregor. Against an opponent with the reputation of the Hound Bronn would again use his mind to come up with a good game plan. The Hound on the other hand would seriously underestimate Bronn and wade right in, just like Bronn would expect.

Honestly, this is a very close match up. But in the end, I give it to Bronn. You just can't beat a combination of good fighting skill AND a sharp mind.

The Mountain pivoted in wordless fury, swinging his longsword in a killing arc with all his massive strength behind it, but the Hound caught the blow and turned it, and for what seemed an eternity the two brothers stood hammering at each other as a dazed Loras Tyrell was helped to safety. Thrice Ned saw Ser Gregor aim savage blows at the hound’s-head helmet, yet not once did Sandor send a cut at his brother’s unprotected face.

I hope your first question isn't supposed to be a joke, because I'm going to answer.

The Hound would be far superior regarding build/stature/muscular strength as well as attitude. Sandor's wits might be slightly slower than Bronn's, but not when it comes to fighting, me thinks. Sandor's reflexes would be faster than Bronn's fastest thinking anyway, and Sandor will have the stronger will in the end, which is what really counts.

Apart from that, young Bronn I'd guess didn't get much opportunity to gain experience on how to fight in real knight's armor. Facing the Hound, he might well have to, though. If the Hound donned his armor, Bronn woudn't stand the slightest chance in his boiled leathers, and he'd know it. Sandor is not Ser Vardis of the Vale.

(..) for an instant it looked as though he might cut his way free. Then the Hound was on him. Sandor Clegane’s first cut took off Cayn’s sword hand at the wrist; his second drove him to his knees and opened him from shoulder to breastbone.

Whatever, none of this doesn't matter much.

This does though: You could call Bronn much, but neither tired of life (Sandor might well be, which would debatably count as an advantage), nor stupid. So if he ever confronted Sandor he'd behold such a deadly look in his eyes that he'd run for his life, as fast as he's able to and with his tail between his legs - if Sandor wasn't dead drunk or already mortally wounded on the occasion, that is.

“If it is Sandor Clegane that we encounter, what would you have me do?” Pray hard, Jaime thought, and run.

In conclusion: Sandor would sweep through an army of Bronns easily, just like Bronn swept through several scarcely armed, hunger-skinny mountain men on his way up the Vale.

“If you want me, come get me.” Sandor pushed away from the wall and stood in a half-crouch behind the bench, his sword held across his body.

“You think we won’t?” said Polliver. “You’re drunk.”

“Might be,” said the Hound, “but you’re dead.”

As to your second question: Everything Bronn does, he does to his own benefit or welfare - not so Sandor. I guess you can't tell this about Bronn:

Lord Beric had sheathed his sword. “Sandor Clegane would kill us all gladly, but not in our sleep.”

I think Bronn has no scruples at all (so no one can possibly be more ruthless), whereas Sandor is on his way to becoming a saint.

Well, almost. ;-)

“Here, girl.” Sandor Clegane knelt before her, between her and Joffrey. With a delicacy surprising in such a big man, he dabbed at the blood welling from her broken lip.

Sandor fought like an animal saving Sansa from the Mob in the KL riot. afterwards he tells Sansa:

“I killed my first man at twelve. I’ve lost count of how many I’ve killed since then. High lords with old names, fat rich men dressed in velvet, knights puffed up like bladders with their honors, yes, and women and children too—they’re all meat, and I’m the butcher.” (...) “So long as I have this,” he said, lifting the sword from her throat, “there’s no man on earth I need fear.”

During the Battle of the Blackwater, Sandor led three sorties, despite the Wildfire all around, lost half of his men and was badly wounded, before he refused to obey any more orders, offered to help Sansa flee from KL, and finally deserted.

Later he saves Arya from the Red Wedding, too.

Jaime's "pray hard" line is really the selling point. I also remember him thinking about how quickly Sandor would pwn Strongboar, who is above average at least.

And there are several times in the series where characters are compared to almost being as good as the Hound. You know "X is almost as good as Babe Ruth," kind of hints that the Babe is still the best.

Bronn is a Cinderella story of sorts in that he went from random nameless sellsword to fairly well respected fighter, but he's still not feared across an entire continent for his abilities. I think the author has made it very clear continually that Sandor is one of the best combatants we've seen.

A couple of things:

When we first meet Bronn, I recall him being described as tall. Am I misremembering that? I assume he is not as big as the Cleganes who are generally considered monstrous but the depiction of Bronn as small and crafty isn't accurate if I recall the books correctly.

Sandor in his prime is probably amongst the most deadly people in the 7 kingdoms. Gregor is big and dangerous, especially with his great strength and speed but Sandor defends himself and Loras very well without ever going on the offensive. Imagine the strength and speed necessary to do that.

Jaimie is impressed by Sandor.

Gregor's men are impressed by Sandor and would not have attacked him if he wasn't drunk.

Dondarrion was an excellent and well trained knight who didn't need to worry about death so he could fight with greater risk than others and he still lost to Sandor.

Bronn is dangerous. He is skilled. He is good sized. Despite all of that, Bronn was not a man of note prior to attaching himself to Tyrion. I assume that to mean he didn't have the wherewithal to distinguish himself. OTOH, Sandor was the Crown Prince's personal body guard. Bronn's win over Ser Vardis pales in comparison to the Hound's wins against Dondarrion, Gregor's men at the inn, and his draw against Gregor in the lists. Just comparing what we know, I believe we have to say that Sandor is more dangerous and deadly than Bronn.

Jory Cassel was Winterfell master-at arms and he wasn't a great fighter (Ned seemed to do better during the fight with Lannister men) - actually Lyn Corbray stated that he was best swordsman of all those gathered at Eyrie and noone seemed to object. So Bronns victory doesn't appear to be that great (of course if it was Lyn fighting, we would propably never hear of Bronn again).

Sandors age when he killed his first men corresponds to Roberts rebellion so its safe to assume that he fought at least in the sack of Kings Landing - at the age of only 12. His ability as fighter are aknowledged by Jaime - while Bronns only by non-fighters like Cat or Tyrion. And as to him being badass sellsword - well, rest of sellswords appears to be only decent - Meero of Bravos was around for longer, was aknowledged by Jorah as decent fighter, and we all know what Barristan did to him with a stick... I doubt Bron is much better than Titans Bastard, certainly wiser though.

Tyrion has been around fighters his entire life. Especially the Clegane brothers. He would know a good fighter when he sees one, and he thinks Bronn is one of the best. Bronn went through the Vale with barely a scratch; this is while everyone else fighting on the front lines had either died or been severely injured. And he wasnt skulking around then either; he was launching into groups. This was against tribes who have people like Shagga and whatnot, who were known for their ferocity.

Just because Bronn chooses his fights carefully doesnt make him crap; its just realistically he knows that even a fighter with superior skill could lose if bad luck or lack of preparition was against them.

As far as the rule of cool applies Bronn would win the fight.

However rule of cool out of the equation Sandor would annihilate Bronn from the face of Westeros. Sandor is a hardened veteran with exceptional fighting skills and prowess. Bronn on the other hand is super cool and a great warrior but nowhere near the level that Sandor has achieved and has only won on so numerous occasions because he has chosen his opponents very wisely or has fought those inferior to him in swordplay. Bronn beat Ser Vardis because Ser Vardis and the rest of the vale because of Bronn's lack of knighthood , Sandor would not make the mistake of underestimating the sellsword.

Bronn's only chance would be to turn the odds in his favour by bringing fire or backup, although Sandor has shown to overcome his fire fear when fighting in Beric and in the hounds defence there was a lot of fire on the blackwater I doubt he was the only one to quit the field for it.

EDIT - Also to compare the ruthlessness factor Bronn would probably be more ruthless most of the more ruthless actions Sandor has taken seem to be while under orders, you would be surprised what people can do under orders compared to their own initiative.

Many people are saying that the Hound won the Hands Tournament but in the end he didnt really won it anyway. He still had a duel with Loras waiting for him. The same Loras who had just lifted the Mountain out of his horse. Loras was so nice to give Sandor the victory.

Sandor fending of Gregor was impressive but we dont need to give him more credits then he deserves. IIRC nobody in the books actually calls Gregor a excellent swordsman. They are always referring to his great strength, brutality and long reach. So those things give him an edge in battle not his skill with the sword. People who could see past his appearance might actually notice that maybe his moves are a bit clumsy and overbalanced( this is just speculation btw). You can fend of heavy blows if you master the right technique.

Bronn wasnt scared of Gregor. He even told Tyrion exactly how he would fight him. The only reason he refused to duel was because he had to much to loose. Remeber that Bronn was kicked out of the Vale because he fought for Tyrion. The same could go for Kings Landing. He was given the title of Ser but that title could as easily been taken away from him if he would do something to anger the queen.

I think Tyrion knows a good fighter when he sees one. And he knows his brothervery well. If he says that Bronn is almost as good as Jaime there is a good chance that is true. If everybody starts doubting that then why would we believe that Barristan is as good as everybody says, or Gerold Hightower or Arthur Dayne. We never saw them fight and all we know is that others consider them to be the best.

If Bronn was to fight Sandor he would first rub his fingers together and ask how much (he loves doing that). If the price was right he would fight him and prepare a strategy, he probably has seen Sandor fight on the courtyard of the red keep. I think that he allready knows how he could beat him in case he would encounter him on a battlefield. Sandor on the other hand is convinced of his own skill and he even says so to Sansa. I think Bronn would go in to the fight with a slight advantage mentally

Does this mean that Bronn would beat the Hound? Not necesarilly, the Hound is extremely skilled. I think that it would be a close match in wich eather one of them could gain the upper hand

Bronn himself said he was scared of Gregor and he would be fool if he wasn't. He states that Mountain us suprisingly fast for someone that large. He wasn't sure if he was capable of killing him; he only says that maybe it would be possble for him to kill Clegane. Hell, he even has no idea how to topple Gregor - its only stated as something that has to be done (Oberyn had at least the idea with poison )

And Tyrion was around fighters, but that doesn't make him good judge - how many times was he watching people fighting in the series? We have nor eason to assume he attended training even as spectator and watched people fighting; meeting Barristan or Hound in a corridor doesn't show you how well they fight. Fact that he knew some of the best swodsmann in the realm doesn't mean he could well compare them to others.

Another aspect of this match-up that we've all ignored - what condition would the winner be in?

Chewed up and spat out, I'd say, if it's a fight to the death.

I think it's likely that Bronn is a bit faster, but Sandor is definately as fast, or faster, than any other foe Bronn has met, and damn strong - Bronn would risk a broken bone anytime Sandor landed a solid hit, unless Bronn went for heavier armour, but that would slow him.

Bronn wouldn't be able to outwait Sandor and let him tire, both use their surroundings, neither worries about "clean" fighting, but Bronn is more likely to fight with better defensive moves - he has to consider that, because only he cares whether he lives or dies.

Bronn is good, but I'm not sure why Bronn is considered THAT deadly. He beat the Vale guy and the lord who challenged him to a joust, but both were significantly older than him, the Vale guy was using a sword he had not practiced with, and the other lord was an idiot.

The Hound on the other hand seems an absolute monster, having the strength to stand against Gregor straight up blow-for-blow, and great speed and ferocity too. Frankly speaking before he was injured, the only fighters I would bet evenly on against him are Gregor and two-handed Jaime.

i think that people are putting too much weight with reputation, or rather the lack of reputation bronn has, hes a sellsword, its not like hes in the spotlight time

unlike sandor, bronn would probably plan for the battle, this might give him an edge, also, i think hes more agile than sandor, in the end though, i think sandor would win, but with wounds :fencing:

To be fair. I dont think either of them would care enough. But if they were forced too i think then outcome would depend on alot of things. If sandor was drunk. What mood he was in etc. I dont think Bronn could win against GOT Sandor. After that with his injurys maybe so. Simply because hes given up now. =/

It would be interesting to watch. Maybe they would become drinking buddys.

Jory Cassel was Winterfell master-at arms and he wasn't a great fighter

That's his dad, Rodrik. Jory's captain of the guard and I think it's kind of harsh to judge him on an ambush by dozens of Lannister guards.

That's his dad, Rodrik. Jory's captain of the guard and I think it's kind of harsh to judge him on an ambush by dozens of Lannister guards.

And even then Jory still managed to fight his way out. Its only when he came back to save Ned that he got killed.

Archived