Ibben

I am intrigued by this Iceland sized isle in the Shivering Sea. Since the wiki isn't working at the moment, I can't check all the facts. But do you think there will be a ibbenese character at some point, or will Ibben play any role at some point of the series? There was already some kind of contemplation about Skagos, and another isle in the north respectably, but somewhat closer to the main theaters of the series.

So, do you think that Ibben will be explored further in the World of Ice and Fire or in the series? We don't know very much about the guys, except that they mostly live in the port of Ibben and they have colonies on the northern coast of Essos! And wasn't the isle connected to the polar ice gap or something? And weren't there mammoths in Ibben too? That could also mean, that if the polar ice gap is the land of always winter, the others could probably invade Ibben.

Discuss

I don't know if there will be any more fleshing out of Ibben in the series, but we may well get more details in the world book. The only details that have been mentioned more than once are that Ibbenese seem to be whalers - there is definitely mention of one such boat in Braavos in the Cat of the Canals chapter of aFfC.

One of the whores that Arya thinks of is also from Ibben, and is described as having a moustache.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This is why I am honestly a bit peeved about GRRM refusal to let anyone else but himself expand his world.

If he ever has a chance to finish ASOIAF he will most likely never completely flesh out many of the mystery spots of his world.

It be great if he authorized competent writers to expand on some of these places under his guidance.

Ibben is intriguing. I'm not sure we'll see it first hand. But it would be cool to meet some characters from there who can add some details about it.

Wild Speculation: If Ibben is invaded by the Others (seeing as it's quite far north) the Ibbenese could evacuate and relocate to the North to help the fight there. Who knows, maybe they'll provide some long forgotten information on the Others.

• 3 weeks later...

Ibben isn't connected to the polar icecap. According to GRRM it's an island about the size of Ireland, and is located roughly 1,000 miles east of Skagos (about the same distance that Finland is from the UK).

• 2 weeks later...

The Ibbenese men also like axes, they should get along splendidly with Shagga ... and I rather suspect all these long sea voyages are conducive to experimenting with their own sex...

As a matter of fact, I can remember at least three (unnamed) homosexual ibbenese (two of the bodyguards Tyrion hired for Shae and one who tried to buy Podrick Payne from Brienne), which means that almost all the ibbenese characters that have appeared until now are gay.

Hes made the world so big that it could be come back to book after book after asoiaf is done exploring new places and people.Pity it wont be

I'm sure much fanfiction would be awful and rejected by fans.

It would still be worth it if every now and then someone who loved the material and was talented made a story within the world... it would be magical.

I guess our first and rare taste of that will come with the RPG, hopefully that story ends up better than Dragon Age 2.

Getting any information on Ibben itself may be a lost cause, but mayhaps some day we'll get to meet the captain of that Ibbenese Whaler thats sitting in every port in the world.

LOL ... at least he could WASH his tub now and then, it always stinks up the whole neighbourhood!

Archived