Is Syrio dead?

Reggie

No Sansa did not. She thought that Arya was a terribly clumsy dancer for coming back with scrapes and bruises all the time from her dancing classes.

You're right that there are no passages (that I can find) that directly state that Sansa knew that "dancing" was swordplay. But, all of the passages are just vague enough (IMHO) to allow the possibility that the Stark household used the term "dancing" as a euphamism for swordplay.

FreeNorthman..Exactly . Sansa and Septa Mordane had no idea . The poor septa would probably have fainted , and felt terribly undermined , after all her struggles to make Arya more ladylike. Some of the household guard might have known something , but they were all finished off. Whoever recommended Syrio to Ned might have known something, but if so ,whoever that was was not abetting the Lannister camp ..at that time , at least. ( So I don't think it was Littlefinger. )

ETA..Cersei actually says the "wretched" dancing master interfered, which might be a bit more dismissive way of speaking than you would expect , if she had a dangerous swordsman in mind.

Chris, I think " dancing lessons " was definitely a subterfuge. After Arya's disarming of Joffrey , her fencing lessons would have been unanimously frowned on . that Syrio taught the Water Dance may have been coincidence , or it may have been what suggested the way to cover it up to Ned.

Archived