ADWD coming early?

Lord of Nothing

So I ordered A Dance With Dragons through Amazon.de because I'm living over in Germany. Originally the release date was set to be July 12th, just like everywhere else, but this morning I received an email stating it was being sent early and would arrive in the next few days. Additionally, the Amazon.de page, http://www.amazon.de/Dance-Dragons-Song-Fire-Book/dp/0553801473/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1309161009&sr=8-1, no longer states preorder but rather actual buying.

Think this is an Amazon goof or will people who ordered the books abroad be receiving a special treat?

So I ordered A Dance With Dragons through Amazon.de because I'm living over in Germany. Originally the release date was set to be July 12th, just like everywhere else, but this morning I received an email stating it was being sent early and would arrive in the next few days. Additionally, the Amazon.de page, http://www.amazon.de/Dance-Dragons-Song-Fire-Book/dp/0553801473/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1309161009&sr=8-1, no longer states preorder but rather actual buying.

Think this is an Amazon goof or will people who ordered the books abroad be receiving a special treat?

I don't think you'll get it earlier. At best they may arrange for you to have it actually arrive at your door on the same date, or the one right after, the book is released. But that's about it I would think.

I was thinking the same but the wording of the email:

George R.R. Martin "A Dance with Dragons: A Song of Ice and Fire: Book Five"

Bisheriges voraussichtliches Lieferdatum : 16 Juli 2011

Neues voraussichtliches Lieferdatum : 29 Juni 2011 - 30 Juni 2011

Quick translation:

Former expected date of delivery: 16 July

New expected date of delivery: 29 June - 30 June

So based upon that, it seems plausible. I've had Amazon make goofs before but I've also received preordered items before they were released...but only by a day or two, never two weeks.

Though I live over in the Netherlands, I received the same email. I also ordered it through Amazon.de, because it was by far the cheapest option that would get me the book in a reasonable timeframe. The bookstores in my town suck, and I don't feel like spending 2 hours to go to Utrecht or Amsterdam to get it (and pay like twice the amount of money). And the only decent online retailer in the Netherlands (Bol.com) is grossly overpriced compared to Amazon.de so I just decided that it was worth waiting 2-3 days extra and save about 12 euros.

George R.R. Martin "A Dance with Dragons: A Song of Ice and Fire: Book Five"

Bisheriges voraussichtliches Lieferdatum : 16 Juli 2011 - 18 Juli 2011

Neues voraussichtliches Lieferdatum : 01 Juli 2011

So, looking at these dates, it seems they're expecting the book to take a day or two extra to arrive at my doorstep, which is logical since it's essentially an international order and there's some bureaucracy involved. I'm not holding my breath just yet. But it does seem like they actually expect the book to ship earlier than normal.

In fact, I'm actually kind of hoping that I DON'T get it two weeks early, because I'm just halfway through my latest re-read of A Game of Thrones and I was planning to spend the days between July 1st and July 16th re-reading everything else too. This is my last week of the academic year, so my summer essentially starts this coming Friday - meaning I can do it if I spend most of my days reading (which I'm well capable of). I won't complain if I get it early, of course. I'll likely also just skip the re-read and go straight to ADWD, since I re-read the series just last Holiday season (and that was already my 2nd re-read, so I'm still very familiar with even some of the finer details in the series).

Ah well, if I have the book by this weekend I'll be happy. If not I'll just continue my re-read until it's shipped and delivered to my grubby little mitts later in July.

If they do ship it early then you think they could release the e-book at the same time. I just checked Amazon's Kindle Store and it is still saying to be released on July 12. I wonder how that works internationally. I live in New Zealand and hope I get on July 12 NZ Time rather than July 12 US time since it will be on sale in NZ bookshops on July 12 as soon as they open but I don't want to pay extra just to get it a few hours earlier.

Well, Germany isn't that for away for me, so if it available early in Germany I am defintely getting myself overthere!!!

By the way, why is ADWD 10€ cheaper in Germany? Or is that an Amazon thing?

I'm not sure if it's a Germany-wide thing or if it's just an Amazon.de thing for the early shipping as I just checked online at Hugendubel (The main brick and mortar bookstore here) and they still said July. And as for the price, just an Amazon reduction. I believe with conversion, the UK gets it even slightly cheaper. As does the US of course. Probably a matter of different VAT levels for the different countries.

Well, the Dutch retailer I mentioned (where it'd cost me 10 euros extra) is generally known to not be the cheapest around. But the brick & mortar bookstores are (usually) even more overpriced.

My favorite bookstore, generally speaking, is The Book Depository, because they ship internationally at no charge and their prices are very decent. They just didn't have the book available for pre-order as soon as Amazon, so...

I just checked Bol.com and it appears that they still have the book on pre-order (to be delivered/dispatched on the 12th). The book costs €25.99 with an additional €1.95 shipping fee. That's just insane.

That's 28 euros (almost 40 US dollars)...

Through Amazon I'm paying €14.81 (the site lists it at €15.95 or something, but because I pre-ordered I get it at the cheapest possible price). So I'm not saving 10 euros. I'm saving a whopping 13 euros, getting it for half the price that my friends are getting it. Even if these dates end up being premature and we still have to wait the additional two weeks like everyone else, I'll be happy. Man, sometimes it sucks to live in Europe, but am I ever proud to be half German right now, lol.

So I ordered the book again from Amazon.de and now I have two preorders. One with a delivery estimate of June 29th, the old one with a delivery date from 15th to 18th July. But I believe that this is just a database error.

I've pre-ordered a copy at my local Waterstones store. That should be there on July 12th. I can't get it earlier anyway because I'm away over the weekend. I'm also trying to complete a re-read of the series and have onlu just started A Storm of Swords.

I have also placed my order with amazon.de and they confirm to me that they will ship tomorrow, with the book to arrive on June 30 ( Thursday) or July 1st at the latest.

I am very excited, I hope this works.

Archived