Should I go for it?

Achilleus

Hi Guys,

I am new to this forum.I have never been a fan of Fantasy books, recently I was given Joe Abercrombie's First Law series and loved it and I followed it with Peter V brett's Demon Series loved it as well. So did a bit of research and came to know about the Song of Ice and Fire series. I am sure the series must be amazing! BUT I want to know since I am quite new to fantasy books and from what I have read will I like this? some of you must have read the above said series so you guys might be in a good position to tell me.

If I wont like it much might just start watching the series!

Thank You,

A

I just finished reading aGOT this morning. It is the first fantasy book I have ever read (my reading tends to be about 99% non-fiction). I LOVED this book. I cannot wait to start the next one.

As someone totally unfamiliar with the fantasy genre, I found the book to be very human and familiar.\

I would absolutely suggest diving in!

Well, to be honest, you would have to tell us what you like in a series, and what you expect from a book in general.

well i loved the magic, the fighting in the above 2 series i mentioned BUT i am sure this one will have it too; but i somehow feel this is going to be a lot of talking and no action if you know what i mean!

I just finished reading aGOT this morning. It is the first fantasy book I have ever read (my reading tends to be about 99% non-fiction). I LOVED this book. I cannot wait to start the next one.

As someone totally unfamiliar with the fantasy genre, I found the book to be very human and familiar.\

I would absolutely suggest diving in!

Thank you....for your reply!

Oh well whats the harm, till date i have not read a book which i haven't completed and hopefully this wont be the first.I will be back in this forum (Hopefully) after i finish the book.

Thanks again for your replies guys!

Well, there are more than 20,000 members of this board, people of all ages from all over the world. Many members have thousands and thousands of posts, attesting both to the addictive nature of these astonishing books, and to the totally vast scope and range of the ASoIaF world. The books are populated by 'a cast of thousands' as Hollywood would say, and that's probably the only criticism I've ever heard about the series--there are so many people introduced so early on that initially some people have trouble keeping the players straight. But once you're really deep into the story, the back-stabbing, intrigue, plots and schemes, the fights and battles and treachery, the cruelty and beauty, the raw courage and the shivering fear that all comprise the world of Westeros--there's simply no other reading experience that even approaches it.

My two cents.

well i loved the magic,

i somehow feel this is going to be a lot of talking and no action if you know what i mean!

Re the magic: What exactly did you love about it? Some fantasy series are chock full of magic (Wheel of Time springs to mind) others have not much magic at all (ASOIAF is rather light on it, and for the most part it is subtle with some fairly notable exceptions, LOTR). So did you like the magic because it wasn't centre stage but it did play in important role, or because it was centre stage but was a well thought out magic system? if the former then that's a point in favour of ASOIAF, if the latter then your previous fantasy exposure does not allign with ASOIAF.

I think there is a good balance of talking/scheming and action.

If you are here is it because you saw the HBO TV series? If so then it must be because you liked it. Given that it's reasonable to assume you'll like the books.

well i loved the magic, the fighting in the above 2 series i mentioned BUT i am sure this one will have it too; but i somehow feel this is going to be a lot of talking and no action if you know what i mean!

The series is actually a low-magic world, in the beginning at least, more of a swords instead of a sorcerer's world, though there is clearly magic. There's a lot of talking, but also some action, though a lot of the talking is due to political intrigues. Battles are prominent, but not that prominent, with the political side given as much detail as the action side.

Oh, and there will be a number of heart-breaks. Come prepared.

I have to say....I think that the lack of "magic" (aka, unfamiliar) is what allowed me to be to thoroughly drawn into the story. I love me some magic, but I'm actually loving the subtlety of it in these books. You have to work for it...(as it should be???).

Sorry my post was deleted. I have never been a fan of fantasy, or the Camelot time period in general until Game of Thrones. Now I am obsessed with it all - dragons, swords, everything! I watched the series and picked up the first book after the season finale and I love it. Yes, definitely go for it. Even though it's considered fantasy because George RR Martin created this fantasy world and fantasy people, it's not like Lord of the Rings or anything. It's more about the people and the politics. Not too much with mythical creatures, witches and wizards type thing. Well at least not yet, I'm only still reading the first book so I have yet to see :) If anything just watch one of the episodes to get a feel for it then go from there!

• 1 month later...

I just recently got into the series after the tv show. Just finished the first book this morning. Technically this might be my first fantasy series that I've read. The Hobbit is probably the only other book i can think of.

Like zmflavius said above, its a low magic world. Besides the brief dragon stuff, it pretty much feels like a straight up legit medieval era story. The characters are well done. I think you'll enjoy it.

Not normally my cup of tea either, but heard so much talk about the series I downloaded the free sample of A Game Of Thrones in Google Books. (I'd recommend doing that if you aren't sure.)

Anyway, I tore through the sample and the next morning went and bought the first 4 books. I'm almost done with the first one, and haven't regretted it.

I believe it is the minimal amount of pure fantasy/supernatural that makes it so enjoyable for me. And the mythical/supernatural aspects in it are very well drawn.

Get the sample, you'll be hooked.

Come to the dark side..muuuuaahahahahahaha. :devil:

From the age of 12 to the age of 40, I thought the Lord of the Rings was the greatest fantasy series ever and I fully expected to go to my grave thinking that...

...Then I read A Game of Thrones. :thumbsup:

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have to say....I think that the lack of "magic" (aka, unfamiliar) is what allowed me to be to thoroughly drawn into the story. I love me some magic, but I'm actually loving the subtlety of it in these books. You have to work for it...(as it should be???).

I SO agree with this. I have always had trouble with too much magic in stuff, since it is often used as a Deus Ex Machina for any seemingly insurmountable problem, and is used to bypass uncomfortable situations. What is so great about this series is that what magic that IS used seems like a huge labor to achieve, which makes it impractical to depend upon for most people, and out of the reach of those except the most dedicated. Because of that, GRRM doesn't let the reader bypass uncomfortable situations; he forces us to get through them as the character is forced to. He raises the stakes, and you realize that this isn't going to be the traditional fantasy where the main players somehow escape harm; nobody is getting out of this story without some serious tragedy in one way or another, and some won't make it out at all.

Archived