A Thread for Small Questions X

Datepalm

I was wondering about the correct Pronunciation of Aegon, Aemon, Aenys, Aerys. After reading the Hedge Knight, I couldn't help but wonder why Aegon was called egg unless it was pronounced 'Egg - on'. So can i assume the 'Ae' at the beginning of a name sound like 'Eh'?

I always pronounced it "Ay-gon" in my head until I learned about Egg, though "EEE-gon" would also make sense to me, and "Ay-gon" might have unfortunate implications for the pronunciation of "Aenys." :laugh:

I think it could still be "Ay-gon" and result in "Egg," though. A lot of people I know pronounce "egg" as "ayg."

So, I was just combing through the novels for every mention of Brandon Stark, and got to Meera's "Knight of the Laughing Tree" story and noticed something I never had before.

Ned dances with Elia, but Brandon apparently had to ask on his behalf because he was too shy to do so himself.

Was Ned infatuated with the Dornish Princess? Could that be colouring his feelings about the Lannisters (not that they are unreasonable) after the Sack? Or was he just a generally shy young man?

So, I was just combing through the novels for every mention of Brandon Stark, and got to Meera's "Knight of the Laughing Tree" story and noticed something I never had before.

Ned dances with Elia, but Brandon apparently had to ask on his behalf because he was too shy to do so himself.

Was Ned infatuated with the Dornish Princess? Could that be colouring his feelings about the Lannisters (not that they are unreasonable) after the Sack? Or was he just a generally shy young man?

I believe you are referring to Ashara Dayne, not Elia Martell.

I saw a post here on the forum, but unfortunately I didn't bookmark the page, bc now its got me thinking! The poster referred to the fact that Cersei was sleeping w/ Moonboy.

I haven't reread that part yet, but my recollection was that the comment made in the book was more sarcasm than truth. i.e. "cersei's f-ing Moonboy too for all I know".

Was she? And if so, what the hell for?

Jaime spends AFFC thinking to himself that Cersei is "fucking Lancel, Osmund Kettleblack and probably Moonboy for all I know" over and over. It becomes kind of a mantra for him.

There is no suggestion that she has actually done so. The poster was just having fun with the idea. Or was kind of dim.

Other than ASOIAF and Dunk and Egg stories, what would you all recommend as the best thing of Martin's to read next?

Well, that depends on what you feel like reading, I guess. For vampire horror there's Fevre Dream, modern-day supernatural suspense with The Armageddon Rag, sci-fi with Dying of the Light and Tuf Voyaging. I've read 'em all, and they're all great - you can't go wrong, really.

Quick question, and sorry if this has been addressed before. When reading aGoT, my assumption has alway been that, although a "hostage", Theon does occupy a fairly high position in the Stark household. In fact, I was under the impression that he was Ned's squire, although looking back into aGoT I don't see any actual mention of this (might be the TV show playing tricks on my memory...). But my question is this: why did he not to to KL with Ned and the girls? Would it be because of his "hostage" status? Because he doesn't seem to be all that great of an influence on Robb, so why leave them together? And he must be getting close enough in age that he will have to marry, correct? Seems like they might have taken him south to pick someone for him to marry.

None of this really matters, as obviously he was left with Robb so he could betray him and then go work on his daddy issues. It was just something that popped into my head...any thoughts?

Well... I don't think that "high position in the household" are the words that I would use. Yes, he's treated with respect fitting his noble status and he doesn't lack in comfort, but other than that... nothing really depends on him. I assume it never even crossed Ned's mind to take him south.

As for the marriage, I'm actually curious, who gets to pick the bride? Is it Ned? Or Balon has some say? Or even Theon himself might choose, being a fully grown man both by Westerosi standards and our own (seems unlikely, but still)?

Archived