A Thread for Small Questions X

Datepalm

Was there ever any actual evidence that The Hound actually killed Micah (the butcher's boy) other than the Hound claiming it had happened?

Well he shows up with a dead body claiming he killed the boy and the body is later identified by the kid's father na dno-one seems to doubt his story

Was there ever any actual evidence that The Hound actually killed Micah (the butcher's boy) other than the Hound claiming it had happened. He seems to react very strongly whenever Arya mentioned it in ASOS and it doesn't seem to fit with his personality as he seems averse to hurting children and innocents.

well, Ned found the Hound carrying Micah in the sack. I suppose the Hound's companion could have done the deed, and the Hound took credit for it.

Was there ever any actual evidence that The Hound actually killed Micah (the butcher's boy) other than the Hound claiming it had happened. He seems to react very strongly whenever Arya mentioned it in ASOS and it doesn't seem to fit with his personality as he seems averse to hurting children and innocents.

You need a re-read...

I don't think Race was asking if we knew for sure that Micah was dead (he is, as disco), but whether we knew for sure that the Hound did the deed. There is some minor ambiguity there, but I don't think there's any reason to doubt the Hound as the perp. GRRM agrees, Sandor killed Micah.

The Targaryens were a noble house, but not kings, in Valyria, but they'd been living on Dragonstone (which, when they moved there, was the westernmost outpost of Valyria) for 100 years when Valyria met its doom. It was 100 years after that when they began the conquest of Westeros. Here's a report of some GRRM comments on why they waited so long to conquer:

I asked why the Targaryens waited so long after the Doom to invade?

GRRM said they were mostly just content on Dragonstone for awhile. Aegon's grandfather and father stayed there. Aegon was the one that chose to invade and conquer Westeros. The Volentenes tried to entice him into a Grand Alliance to conquer Valyria, I think, or all the Valyrian colonies. Conquer the East I'm sure. Aegon was very young when this offer came to him.

The Targaryens were a noble house, but not kings, in Valyria, but they'd been living on Dragonstone (which, when they moved there, was the westernmost outpost of Valyria) for 100 years when Valyria met its doom. It was 100 years after that when they began the conquest of Westeros. Here's a report of some GRRM comments on why they waited so long to conquer:

Thank you.Glad to hawe that cleared

As I've been rereading the series one question that I've returned to several times is, "what, if anything, does a winter rose symbolize?"

At first while reading a AGoT, I thought it must be Lyanna Stark because in Ned's thoughts, reveries and dreams she seems to nearly always be alluded to in conjunction with a winter rose. (of course I know the connection here with the R+L=J theory) However as I began ACoK, I spotted winter roses in several places seeming to simply reference Starks. For example, on page 706 (American paperback) in ACoK, Dany's vision in the House of the Undead seems to point to Jon: "A blue flower grew from a chink in a wall of ice, and filled the air with sweetness...." While it doesn't say rose, all the winter roses mentioned so far have been blue. And second, when Ygritte is telling the story of Bael's song. A winter rose is left in payment for the Stark maiden Bael abducts, but in the end Bael leaves a child "the rose he plucked unasked," (746).

IDK, it seems plausible that winter roses stands for Starks and not just Lyanna.

As I've been rereading the series one question that I've returned to several times is, "what, if anything, does a winter rose symbolize?"

At first while reading a AGoT, I thought it must be Lyanna Stark because in Ned's thoughts, reveries and dreams she seems to nearly always be alluded to in conjunction with a winter rose. (of course I know the connection here with the R+L=J theory) However as I began ACoK, I spotted winter roses in several places seeming to simply reference Starks. For example, on page 706 (American paperback) in ACoK, Dany's vision in the House of the Undead seems to point to Jon: "A blue flower grew from a chink in a wall of ice, and filled the air with sweetness...." While it doesn't say rose, all the winter roses mentioned so far have been blue. And second, when Ygritte is telling the story of Bael's song. A winter rose is left in payment for the Stark maiden Bael abducts, but in the end Bael leaves a child "the rose he plucked unasked," (746).

IDK, it seems plausible that winter roses stands for Starks and not just Lyanna.

I don't think this is really a small question. Perhaps you should take this to the R+L=J thread, where it might be more appropriate. Or even start a new thread, if you'd like.

I don't think this is really a small question. Perhaps you should take this to the R+L=J thread, where it might be more appropriate. Or even start a new thread, if you'd like.

I guess in relation to so many other questions on the board it seemed small. :ohwell:

I guess in relation to so many other questions on the board it seemed small. :ohwell:

Perhaps. The reason I think it's not a small question is that I sort of disagree with your interpretation, but if I voiced that disagreement in this thread it would likely derail the main topic. That's why I'd prefer to discuss this in another thread. :)

hello, i just finished AFfC and in the fourth samwell chapter sam and gilly are discussing naming dalla's child. sam thinks [ a name even my lord father might like. a warrior's name. the boy was mance rayder's son and craster's grandson, after all.] is dalla craster's daughter or mance rayder his son? if so when did we find this out because i cant remember reading it thank you.

hello, i just finished AFfC and in the fourth samwell chapter sam and gilly are discussing naming dalla's child. sam thinks [ a name even my lord father might like. a warrior's name. the boy was mance rayder's son and craster's grandson, after all.] is dalla craster's daughter or mance rayder his son? if so when did we find this out because i cant remember reading it thank you.

I cant see my books now, but are you sure that he says Craster Grandson? This is after or before he discover the babys swap (the old change-a-roo)?

I cant see my books now, but are you sure that he says Craster Grandson? This is after or before he discover the babys swap (the old change-a-roo)?

there was a whole thread about this not long back. Most people agreed that it was either an oversight by GRRM, or a mistake by Sam. Else, it would mean that either Dalla or Mance has Craster as a father. Yes, Sam already knows about the switch, since he refers to him as Mance's son.

Archived