A Thread for Small Questions X

Datepalm

I just finished reading AFFC. In the prologue, it appeared to me that the character Pate died at the end of the chapter, presumably by some magic or something caused by the faceless man to whom he gave the key. Yet Pate is then seen again in the last chapter. Is it the same Pate? Did I misunderstand the end of the prologue?

As he says, the Blackfish suspects (incorrectly) that Jon's ascent to power in the Watch was the doing of Tywin Lannister, and that Jon has allied himself with the enemies of the Starks.

Seems like a big leap for him to make. Because Jaime is the one passing news to him, that means Tywin was behind it? The Lannister's have nothing to do with the Wall.

Oh well, it makes sense, you're right. I'd think that Brynden is a little more clear-headed than that though.

We have to keep in mind that Brynden's niece and great-nephew have just been slaughtered in a violent, completely dishonorable fashion, a conspiracy undertaken, as he correctly believes, with Tywin Lannister's consent and approval. It's not unnatural he might see Tywin's hand in other surprising events, like the rise of a sixteen-year-old with two years' experience to the command of the Watch. (And Tywin was trying to interfere in the selection, after all, just in the opposite way from what the Blackfish expects.)

Plus he knew and loved Catelyn and didn't particularly know Jon; I imagine he had unconsciously taken on her dislike of him. And he seems to be getting a kick out of mocking or dismissing every word out of Jaime's mouth, reasonably or not. The Blackfish's reaction is a reminder that, although readers know differently, many "honorable" people in the Seven Kingdoms still regard Jaime as dishonest, arrogant, and profoundly immoral.

I just finished reading AFFC. In the prologue, it appeared to me that the character Pate died at the end of the chapter, presumably by some magic or something caused by the faceless man to whom he gave the key. Yet Pate is then seen again in the last chapter. Is it the same Pate? Did I misunderstand the end of the prologue?

Pate was killed by the faceless man that Arya knew at Harrenhal (the one who used to be Jaqen). The fact that Pate appears again at the end of the book implies heavily that the faceless man took his identity.

Well... I don't think that "high position in the household" are the words that I would use. Yes, he's treated with respect fitting his noble status and he doesn't lack in comfort, but other than that... nothing really depends on him. I assume it never even crossed Ned's mind to take him south.

Yes, you're probably right. It does beg the question though...what was the long-term plan for keeping him? I mean, he's 20 years old at this point...no longer a child hostage, but his father's only son and heir. How much longer could they feasibly keep him? And that leads to this...

As for the marriage, I'm actually curious, who gets to pick the bride? Is it Ned? Or Balon has some say? Or even Theon himself might choose, being a fully grown man both by Westerosi standards and our own (seems unlikely, but still)?

Do you think that Ned meant to marry him to Sansa, at least before the proposed Joffrey/Sansa match? Or another Northern girl of noble blood? I've wondered quite a bit what Theon's fate would have been if things hadn't gone the way they had in aGoT.

Pate was killed by the faceless man that Arya knew at Harrenhal (the one who used to be Jaqen). The fact that Pate appears again at the end of the book implies heavily that the faceless man took his identity.

We assume that was the same faceless man, but we cannot be sure. (Or I missed something in the book that confirm this?)

Braavos and the other free cities aren't on any of the maps in the first four books.

Thanks.

In my SoS book, there is a map that shows "The Summer Sea" And Valyria, Astapor, Yunkai, Meereen....

Is Braavos across the "Narrow Sea?"

And I wonder why Martin hasn't given us a map to show us where it is?

We assume that was the same faceless man, but we cannot be sure. (Or I missed something in the book that confirm this?)

His description perfectly matches the description of the faceless man who used to be Jaqen. I think it's a safe bet it's him.

Yep, it's across the narrow sea. A little bird told me if you wait just a few more days, you may see the map that you seek :)

Thanks.

In my SoS book, there is a map that shows "The Summer Sea" And Valyria, Astapor, Yunkai, Meereen....

Thanks.

If you go to the HBO Viewer's Guide for the show, they have a map of part of the Eastern Continent, which features several of the Free Cities (including Braavos).

Not certain if this is the best place for this, but without a search it's a bit tricky. Anyway, is there a place to buy the board game without spending a couple hundred bucks? If not, do we have any info about a reprinting of it or anything?

Hi :) Haven't read AFFC in a couple of years and won't have time to reread before the release of Dance. Can somebody please remind me of the significance of the symbol...I think it was an eye inside a circle with a tail or something? I only remembered about it when they had the dead wildlings laid out in that pattern in the first episode of the tv show but can't really remember what we learned about the symbol in the books/when it showed up? Anyway it's been bugging me so if anyone can remind me about it that would be great! Thanks :)

Hi :) Haven't read AFFC in a couple of years and won't have time to reread before the release of Dance. Can somebody please remind me of the significance of the symbol...I think it was an eye inside a circle with a tail or something? I only remembered about it when they had the dead wildlings laid out in that pattern in the first episode of the tv show but can't really remember what we learned about the symbol in the books/when it showed up? Anyway it's been bugging me so if anyone can remind me about it that would be great! Thanks :)

That never happened in the books. Only happened in the show.

Archived