A Thread for Small Questions X

Datepalm

Do you think that Ned meant to marry him to Sansa, at least before the proposed Joffrey/Sansa match? Or another Northern girl of noble blood? I've wondered quite a bit what Theon's fate would have been if things hadn't gone the way they had in aGoT.

I really doubt he would have married him to Sansa. After all, she's his eldest daughter and he probably intended a very high match for her even before Robert's proposition.

Arya, though, is a possibility, since as the second daughter behind three sons her chances of inheritance were virtually non-existant and the only way to forge a high future for her would be through marriage. A lord who is married to a Stark girl and who has spent 10 years in Winterfell would have ensured that the Iron Islands wouldn't be hostile towards the North at least in the next generation or two. Of course, there are other factors that should be considered - Arya's stubbornness, the Ironmen's resentment towards the Starks and so on, but somehow I doubt those would matter for the decision.

But all of this is pure and moot speculation, since for the time we were in Ned's head and heard his thoughts, he never spent any meaningful time thinking about Theon.

On Theon's marriage, I am fairly sure that Ned would have formally decided it (as Theon was his ward) but that in practice Robert would have had the last say. As heir to the Iron Islands, Theon's marriage is a matter of state. It makes sense that he is not yet married as of AGOT, as I doubt Ned, Jon and Robert wanted to rock the boat (if you'll forgive the expression) in relation to the Iron Islands just yet. If Balon had been taken ill, the matter would probably have become urgent.

They were also probably somewhat upset that she was married off to a Lannister rather than a Tyrell. She's no longer useful to them and a good scapegoat. Littlefinger may have suggested it, but i doubt the Tyrells would know why he cared.

How many kids does Roose Bolton have? I know about his bastard, but is that it?

He used to have one legitimate son, Domeric, but he died. We're not told anything else (how old the boy was, how he died, etc.)

Regarding Sansa and the Tyrells.

They were in cahoots with Littlefinger, but they wanted to get to her in a similar way that he did and marry her to Willas and thus get a claim for the North and maybe even the Riverlands in the long run. Sansa, however, unwittingly failed their plan by blabbering up to Ser Dontos who informed Littlefinger and the next thing you know, she was married off to Tyrion. A coincidence? I think not. By spoiling the Tyrells' plan and helping frame Tyrion for Joffrey's murder, Littlefinger made sure he'd also get to Sansa first.

This has been nagging at me and I think it could have some large implications...

Who was Ned supposed to marry before Brandon got killed and he married Cat?

I mean we have the following marriages set up

Robert to Lyanna

Jon Arryan to Lysa

Cat to Brandon

Which conslidates 4 major houses. I know Ned is the younger son but could still marry well. Add the refusal of the "Blackfish" to marry around the same time and it would seem like someone was trying to gather some allies.

Then a rebellion just happens to break out....

So its ot possible/plausiable Ned was to wed Asahara Dayne?

This has been nagging at me and I think it could have some large implications...

Who was Ned supposed to marry before Brandon got killed and he married Cat?

I mean we have the following marriages set up

Robert to Lyanna

Jon Arryan to Lysa

Cat to Brandon

Which conslidates 4 major houses. I know Ned is the younger son but could still marry well. Add the refusal of the "Blackfish" to marry around the same time and it would seem like someone was trying to gather some allies.

Then a rebellion just happens to break out....

So its ot possible/plausiable Ned was to wed Asahara Dayne?

Before I got to the end of your post Ashara Dayne sprang to my mind as well so maybe...? Clearly she has some significant connection to Ned so that seems like a fairly plausible one to me..

Before I got to the end of your post Ashara Dayne sprang to my mind as well so maybe...? Clearly she has some significant connection to Ned so that seems like a fairly plausible one to me..

I'd guess that as a second son to a Great House, Ned would probably have a little more leeway on courting a wife. I don't recall any hint that he was formally engaged to anyone prior to ending up with Cat, so I think that so long as he ended up with a good match, Rickard would have been OK with it (and I think Ashara would have been considered a good match - the Dayne's aren't a Great House, but they seem to be a prominent house in the tier just below that)

Archived