Boskone Reports and Rumours

GoN

Still half asleep.....

But Ghost's Companion won the Dany chapters in the raffle. Everyone else that won was present.

The audio book of A Feast For Crows was not claimed, so I'm going to send that on to Lodey for the LA raffle.

Speaking of Lodey.....

This extravaganza would not have been possible without the generous donations from the BwB fund. It's shocking, how much things end up costing.

WHAT I won something, do my eyes deceive me?

Hi! The parties were awesome, as always, and it was great fun hanging out with all of you. Thanks X-ray and Mr. X for the fine cocktails on Saturday night.

I believe you took over in the fine cocktail department when we took off!

Alchemist and My Sweet Sister -- so feckin' awesome to meet/hang with the both of you (and feed MSS many a gin&tonic). Especially Alchemist -- my gods, another chemistry cocktails nerd lady on the boards? Surely we'll generate a rip in the space-time continuum. :lol:

Can I just put my shout-out to Ms. Stego? ZOMG, that woman is amazing: she's charming, she hangs with us weird freaks, she humors Stego when he forgets to deliver her beer...SHE TOUCHED THE FURRY. If there were ever a True Lady of BwB, then Ms. Stego is the Champ. I love you!! :love:

And props to the Wine Man, DaveAx. :drool: DaveAx -- check your PM in the next day or so. I've the details on that "vieilles vignes" Riesling from Alsace. (we drank it last night. damned fine Riesling)

Well, that was fun. I should start doing this every year. Thanks especially to Stego and Lady Stego for hosting. And in the grand tradition of post-con threads, a bullet list of thanks:

*Coco for driving, even though he was really sick and probably would have preferred to pass out

*X and Mr. X for good humor and directions

*Alchemist/Kristin for putting up with me even though I was rambling and completely forgot her name and face at least 7 times (I still thought she was Christine until I saw this thread :blush:)

*Frisco, RaceBannon, daj and Pod for drunk conversation

*CDoT and Vanessa for sober conversation

*Yags for being, as always, totally kickass (I don't remember whether this should properly be filed into drunk or sober conversation)

*that guy who goes to Harvard Med who is really awesome. I remember his real name (which I probably shouldn't share) but not his board name (even though he posted in this thread)

*Guy in Babylon 5 shirt, LA hipster kids/LARPers, Mike Resnick and assorted other people who came by and provided some level of entertainment

*And, of course, Randyll Tarly (peace be upon him)

I know I should give a better report....but can you believe I'm still exhausted? I just want to pass out.

We still have houseguests, so the con isn't really over yet for us. Hope you forgive me.

We returned Alisons phone today....... and got to have lunch with her. Vanessa was able to finally have some krispy kreme donuts. My voice is still completely gone, and my chest and stomach are incredibly sore from laughing so damn much.

Every con I've been to has been better than the one before, but this one was truly wonderful. Enough can't be said for.........

-Jamie and Vanessa emptying the convention truck for NESFA and being the main reason they unloaded their equipment in record time. Vanessa also tended bar on Friday night, and JAmie was the rock we all leaned on all weekend.

-Pod for everything from cleaning up, to renting the room we all died in on Sunday to helping us set up the parties and hang up the flyers. (However, he *DID* run when he was caught stealing poster board, while my cousin just laughed at the dude.)

-Frisco, the man with the Ice and the Music. (and he volunteered with the con, too)

-X-Ray and Mr. X for their prowess with the mixing of the spirits.

-Race for helping redecorate the room, and all sorts of miscellaneous shit. He worked his ass off.

-Everyone else that did shit while I was drunk, at my house, getting books signed, at other parties, etc. I honestly think this convention would not have been as enjoyable or as succesful if each and every one of the BwB members that showed up were not there.

Basically, thank you for coming and pitching in. I really wanted Boskone to be a much bigger deal for George than Vericon ended up being and I can only imagine that it was. We certainly clocked a lot of volunteer hours, so I know we did Parris proud.

Also, I was told by no less than three long time con veterans/organizers that the BwB are the sterling example of SF fandom of the future.

Of course, we also heard that the BwB was called 'George's Cult.'

:P

As Hubbard's Cult, the Scientologists, are rich and have orgies, I don't personally see this as a bad development. Maybe George should take the world by storm by writing 'Randall Tarlynetics.'

Ok, I'm fucking exhausted and I imagine this reads like it.....full report soon.

You're the man, Stego. Every word he just said is true. In addition, he just completely owned it all. Don't even know what to say except that Stego just continues to outdo himself for the BWB. Stego is the MVP of the con.

Everything went exceedingly well, and from what I can tell, it was a great experience for everyone in attendance. It made us want to come back for more. Which means it's only gonna get better. :]

However, he *DID* run when he was caught stealing poster board, while my cousin just laughed at the dude

:lol: Well, I finally lived up to the devilbunny name. :|

Of course, we also heard that the BwB was called 'George's Cult.'

And its better than been Terry Goodkinds cult at least. :P

Welcome Alchemist and Sweet Sister. That really was a superb Cersei costume btw. :)

And props to the Wine Man, DaveAx. :drool: DaveAx -- check your PM in the next day or so. I've the details on that "vieilles vignes" Riesling from Alsace. (we drank it last night. damned fine Riesling)

I'll be lookin' forward to the message . . . and to the next time we jointly kill a few bottles, too!

A big thanks to everyone who helped made our first con such a success! It was awesome to meet George, of course (even though it was hard to have an intelligent conversation with the man due to an excess of fangirl awe). And I can honestly say meeting so many BWBers was one of the coolest things I've done in...well, a loooong time.

Stego and Lady Stego get huge props as gracious hosts. They put a lot of work into making sure we all had a good time, and it really paid off. Lady Stego has the patience of a saint. Not every woman would be willing to work the door greeting plushies, whip weilding furries, and drunken palm readers, to name just a few.

To everyone else (I won't try to list names, as I fear I'll forget someone) talking to you was a blast! My only regret about the whole weekend is that we didn't have more time and energy to get to know you all better...and that I seem to have missed meeting a few of you altogether!

I'll try to post what I remember from George's panels later, when I have time to get my thoughts together. At the moment, I'm still looking for my brain, lol.

I believe you took over in the fine cocktail department when we took off!

Yes, but I'm such an amateur. You guys make it look easy, whereas I had to look up all the recipes and kept dropping bottle caps on the floor. Of course, I was pretty drunk.

Let me add to the chorus of congratulations - Stego and Ms. Stego, you throw an incredible party, by any standard. BwB parties are always the best at any con, and these ones were the finest I've seen yet.

Kristin

I think GA was referring to this section of his post:

George had commented at Vericon that he was having trouble with the Jon chapters, he'd read the first Davos chapter there, and the first Dany chapter appears as a preview at the end of book 4, so I guessed that we were going to get Tyrion.

Which basically means there was nothing in particular in that regards, simply confirmation of what we already knew (that Jon, Davos, Dany, and Tyrion are POV characters).

Man, reading all these con reports gets me so excited for Worldcon! I just wonder how easy it will be to meet people with so many attendees...

snow "can't even put names to all the faces of the SoCal chapter" leo

Archived