Who is Jon Snow. . .

Lucreel

I thought about posting this in the GoT sub-forum, but I can't remember for sure if some of what I base this on is from ACoK, so I'm putting it here to be safe.

I have a theory about Jon Snow. I'll put it in a spoiler block, in case anyone wishes to avoid the discussion. . .

I just can't shake the feeling that Jon Snow is NOT Ned Stark's son. His behavior is so strange - he so strongly guards the identity of the boy's mother, and yet I don't think that if the boy's mother was some commoner, or even *most* highborn, that there would be such a need to be so guarded about it. I also don't think Ned would have brought the boy to Winterfell and caused Catelyn such heartache, unless there was some most compelling reason that he needed to, in order to keep the boy safe. It makes no sense to me that he brought the boy to live in his wife's household, unless he absolutely must. Lastly, I just don't think Ned is the sort to go off to war and Sire a bastard - he's too honorable to be the sort to go off and cheat on his wife while away at war.

I've thought about it awhile and there's only one explanation I can come to. Jon Snow is a Targaryon (don't know if I spelled that right; anyhow, a son or bastard son or some such descendant of the last Dragon King). I think Ned Stark couldn't bear to see more infanticide (we know the other babes of that dynasty were killed, save Visarys and Dany, who were taken off to the Free Cities), so he took the boy, and claimed him as his bastard, and took him off to Winterfell to raise there, where he could protect the boy, and hide his identity - hide it from the boy himself, most of all, and from Robert, else Robert would have killed the boy, and probably Ned too in his rage).

It seems to me that the explanation that Jon Snow is really a Targaryon just fits all the facts better than the idea that he is Eddard Stark's bastard.

There is a popular theory that Jon is..

The bastard son of Rhaegar Targaryen and Lyanna Stark. Lyanna's pleas of "Promise me Ned" could refer to protecting her son from Robert.

Have a look at the R+L=J threads for more info.

The bastard son of Rhaegar Targaryen and Lyanna Stark. Lyanna's pleas of "Promise me Ned" could refer to protecting her son from Robert.

And not necessarily a 'bastard' son of Rhaegar and Lyanna, but perhaps the true, legitimate heir. The Targs have a history of taking more than one legal wife. Rhaegar's wife, Elia, was known to be ill and fragile and may even have consented to Rhaegar taking another young, strong wife in order to fulfill the prophecy that Rhaegar believed in so strongly.

ALL just theories and suppositions at this point, of course!

Yeah, I was kind of thinking along that same line of thought. I agree that, at least from what we know so far, that seems a pretty good fit for things.

I thought there's a prophecy about Jon in this book

When Daenyrys went to see the undying, she saw visions:

The man had her brother’s hair, but he was taller, and his eyes were a dark indigo rather than

lilac. “Aegon,” he said to a woman nursing a newborn babe in a great wooden bed. “What better

name for a king?”

“Will you make a song for him?” the woman asked.

“He has a song,” the man replied. “He is the prince that was promised, and his is the song of ice

and fire.” He looked up when he said it and his eyes met Dany’s, and it seemed as if he saw her

standing there beyond the door. “There must be one more,” he said, though whether he was

speaking to her or the woman in the bed she could not say.

When i read this, i thought Jon is this second coming of the king aegon, and the novel is about him. R + L = J is a plausible explanation and although Robert was saying rhaegar kidnapped and raped lyanna, there's could be another side to his story.

When i read this, i thought Jon is this second coming of the king aegon, and the novel is about him. R + L = J is a plausible explanation and although Robert was saying rhaegar kidnapped and raped lyanna, there's could be another side to his story.

My response in spoiler block:

Maybe. But, depending on how far you've read, there was a conversation, I think between Dany and Mormont, were they talk about that, and they mention that Aegon was murdered. However, even as I read that, I remember thinking to myself that there interpretation of the vision might be wrong. Also, the vision itself might be wrong - I don't know that I'd put much stock in anything she saw in the House of Dust.

• 3 weeks later...

I thought about posting this in the GoT sub-forum, but I can't remember for sure if some of what I base this on is from ACoK, so I'm putting it here to be safe.

I have a theory about Jon Snow. I'll put it in a spoiler block, in case anyone wishes to avoid the discussion. . .

I just can't shake the feeling that Jon Snow is NOT Ned Stark's son. His behavior is so strange - he so strongly guards the identity of the boy's mother, and yet I don't think that if the boy's mother was some commoner, or even *most* highborn, that there would be such a need to be so guarded about it. I also don't think Ned would have brought the boy to Winterfell and caused Catelyn such heartache, unless there was some most compelling reason that he needed to, in order to keep the boy safe. It makes no sense to me that he brought the boy to live in his wife's household, unless he absolutely must. Lastly, I just don't think Ned is the sort to go off to war and Sire a bastard - he's too honorable to be the sort to go off and cheat on his wife while away at war.

I've thought about it awhile and there's only one explanation I can come to. Jon Snow is a Targaryon (don't know if I spelled that right; anyhow, a son or bastard son or some such descendant of the last Dragon King). I think Ned Stark couldn't bear to see more infanticide (we know the other babes of that dynasty were killed, save Visarys and Dany, who were taken off to the Free Cities), so he took the boy, and claimed him as his bastard, and took him off to Winterfell to raise there, where he could protect the boy, and hide his identity - hide it from the boy himself, most of all, and from Robert, else Robert would have killed the boy, and probably Ned too in his rage).

It seems to me that the explanation that Jon Snow is really a Targaryon just fits all the facts better than the idea that he is Eddard Stark's bastard.

I agree only in part, Jon is a wolf, also the halfhand feels it... So I do believe there is stark blood in him... But I also have the sneaky feeling that there is dragon blood as well...

My vote goes for ned's nephew, lady lyanna's son :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Actually,

GRRM confirmed that that's Aegon VI.

I think that Jon Snow is related to Ned but not how Ned would have the world believe. I am fond of the R+L=J theory. It just makes the most sense to me because Ned is a very honorable person and the way he tries to hide who the mother makes me believe that something is off.

One of the biggest clues to R+L=J occurs in ACOK.

When Dani is seeing the visions, one of the is of blue winter rose blooming in a wall of ice.

While dying Lyanna was clutching a crown of withered blue winter roses (her favorite flowers) that Rhaegar used to crown her Queen of Love and Beauty at the Harrenhal tournamemt. What better symbol for the son of that love to be represented as other than a blue winter rose?

When Dani is seeing the visions, one of the is of blue winter rose blooming in a wall of ice.

While dying Lyanna was clutching a crown of withered blue winter roses (her favorite flowers) that Rhaegar used to crown her Queen of Love and Beauty at the Harrenhal tournamemt. What better symbol for the son of that love to be represented as other than a blue winter rose?

This is a very good thought. I like it.

That is an amazing spot!!

[/quote/]

This is indeed a very nice theory! I am so curious about how it all works out!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

But Jon's burns. He burned his hand during the fight with a fight at the castle black but we all know that only the targaryen women does not burn. I wouldnt mind if Jon is not ned's son or not even R + L = J. Maybe he is Benjen's son... that would be a different twist...

Nobody knows who Jon Snow is. We know he has Stark's blood. We know he burnt his hand and he felt great pain. We know he has Ghost - direwolf, as Robb, Sansa, Bran, Arya and Rickon.

But... Maybe in this case "womb" was stronger than "seed"?

Ned's children, for example, except Arya, are Tullys - hair and eyes.

Ned said Arya's is like Lyanne.

Archived