Who is Jon Snow. . .

Lucreel

But Jon's burns. He burned his hand during the fight with a fight at the castle black but we all know that only the targaryen women does not burn. I wouldnt mind if Jon is not ned's son or not even R + L = J. Maybe he is Benjen's son... that would be a different twist...

Burning has nothing to do with being a Targaryen. Dany being unburnt in AGoT was a special case.

• 3 weeks later...

Obviously, my name on this site strongly supports the R+L=J theory. It took me awhile to work it out in my head. I saw the show, read the book, then watched the show twice with different people. I had that nagging "something isn't quite right" feeling and when Ned said to Jon "The next time I see you, we'll talk about your mother" and "You are of my blood" and to Cat he said the same thing, "He is of my blood". He never says "You are my son." And the "Promise me Ned".....this all rattled through my head, in the grocery store, produce...to be exact. The proverbial light bulb went off and I froze, then it all fell into place. Rhaegar.......Lyanna....Jon looks like Ned, Ned never claims his as son, "promise me Ned", old blind Aemon Targaryen on the wall....I was unmoveable in my conviction that Jon is a Targaryen. Then I wondered if the reason he wasn't made a Ranger is because someone, Bear Mormont perhaps, knew of Jon's lineage and wanted him protected. Maybe Benjen knew too. And the name of the series, Fire=Targaryen.....Ice=Snow. Hmmmm........ Bastards FTW! :fencing: (although I doubt he's even a bastard, but probably the actual heir)

Nobody knows who Jon Snow is. We know he has Stark's blood. We know he burnt his hand and he felt great pain. We know he has Ghost - direwolf, as Robb, Sansa, Bran, Arya and Rickon.

But... Maybe in this case "womb" was stronger than "seed"?

Ned's children, for example, except Arya, are Tullys - hair and eyes.

Ned said Arya's is like Lyanne.

Nobody knows who Jon Snow is. We know he has Stark's blood. We know he burnt his hand and he felt great pain.

we also know that Viserys is burnt to death by molten gold and that at least 5 other Targaryen's burn to death in Lore (the one who drank wild fire, the Summerhall fire etc etc) and they were all 100% Targaryen's...burning his hand is at this time insignificant whether it becomes more significant in later books only GRRM can truly say but as it stands it's not a factor.

we all know that Rhaegar had her in his castle for many months so it's feasible that the time frame fits the question is could Rhaegar have married Lyanna? He's a Targaryen they aren't exactly famous for their monogamy....and even if he DIDN'T marry her is there a chance he could have legitimised the child? Aegon the unworthy did.

many and more questions.

• 2 months later...

I am pretty surprised to read this theory, as I would never have worked it out myself :-) I like, how everything seems to point towards it,now that I think about it.

There is another thing about Jon. I was surprised by how quick he moves up the ladder in watch.

end of CoK spoiler

I hate that he is about to go to Mance Rayder, even if for a short period of time. Seems a bit weird to me. I believe, if he had the time, he would make it to commander of the watch soon.

However, there is a thing about me, I like to disagree with the most accepted opinions. I'd actually like him to stay closer to the ground than to turn out as heir to the throne. His struggling with being baseborn is one of the things that made him such an interesting character.

I like this theroy. The only issue is why lie to Catelyn? Robert would have killed Jon.

I also think it explains the connection with Jon and Arya growing up in Winterfell, why they have a special connection.

It is also true that he "brought home a baby" when he went to war, so odd.

What threads talk about this?

But Jon's burns. He burned his hand during the fight with a fight at the castle black but we all know that only the targaryen women does not burn. I wouldnt mind if Jon is not ned's son or not even R + L = J. Maybe he is Benjen's son... that would be a different twist...

No, he couldn't be Ben's son- Ben was too young to have children!

In ADWD Dany had her hands burnt too! In fact, we don't have evidence that Jon's not resistant to fire. May be he won't burn like Dany.

I like this theroy. The only issue is why lie to Catelyn? Robert would have killed Jon.

I also think it explains the connection with Jon and Arya growing up in Winterfell, why they have a special connection.

It is also true that he "brought home a baby" when he went to war, so odd.

What threads talk about this?

Although you crossed it out, I'd say that Ned lied to Cat because he just didn't want anyone to know about Jon's heritage. Even though he trusts and loves his wife, he must know that a muttered word, a look, anything, would be enough for certain people to put 2 and 2 together and work out that Jon is really his nephew and not his son, if even one other person knew the secret.

• 4 weeks later...

I always had a feeling that Jon Snow's true mother was Lyanna, and that Ned was not his father at all, mainly because of Ned's memory of Lyanna saying "Promise me." Although, I have no idea who his father might be. The theories are really interesting to think about, but having only read GoT and CoK, I don't think there is a lot of evidence to go off of, unless I'm forgetting things from the first book (which I probably am haha).

Also, concerning Jon's burnt hands, I don't think that's an indication that he is Targaryen. As chezequerz said, we know that Viserys was burnt to death by the melted gold, even though he was a self-proclaimed dragon. The dragon-like quality that Dany has is by no means a trait shared by all Tararyens, but a special case. So the fact that Jon burnt his hands isn't disproving anything. However, I feel like it may become something of importance, as it is often referenced throughout his chapters so we as readers don't forget about it.

Last thing... First post, woo! :D

I always had a feeling that Jon Snow's true mother was Lyanna, and that Ned was not his father at all, mainly because of Ned's memory of Lyanna saying "Promise me." Although, I have no idea who his father might be. The theories are really interesting to think about, but having only read GoT and CoK, I don't think there is a lot of evidence to go off of, unless I'm forgetting things from the first book (which I probably am haha).

Also, concerning Jon's burnt hands, I don't think that's an indication that he is Targaryen. As chezequerz said, we know that Viserys was burnt to death by the melted gold, even though he was a self-proclaimed dragon. The dragon-like quality that Dany has is by no means a trait shared by all Tararyens, but a special case. So the fact that Jon burnt his hands isn't disproving anything. However, I feel like it may become something of importance, as it is often referenced throughout his chapters so we as readers don't forget about it.

Last thing... First post, woo! :D

Check the main forum once you finish ADWD. You'll be surprised.

The Direwolves represent Ned's children---Ghost, was albino and seemed to not fit in with the rest of the group, which fits Jon, being a bastard.

I think Jon's mother was the sister of Arthur Dayne (Ned being the father), I think it may mention it or hint at it (Don't really remember).

Honestly if he turns out to be Ned's bastard it would be a bigger shock to most than him being R+L=J. :lol:

Honestly if he turns out to be Ned's bastard it would be a bigger shock to most than him being R+L=J. :lol:

Definitely! It would be a shock, since so many people are invested in that theory.

But honestly, even though Ned is a very honorable man, I wouldn't be incredibly surprised. Maybe it was the eve of a battle with not-so-great odds, and Ned, thinking he might die, wanted to lay with a women one last time? I don't think it's terribly far-fectched.

But, alas, we don't know :dunno:

i am fond to this outcome as well, J= R+L

but, the vision said "Aegon, the prince that was promised, and his is the song of ice and fire"...

for me that means that the song of... is Aegon´s son, because "it is his..." so it would one of Aegon´s sons, probable Aerys the mad king?

although that doesnt make much sense either way...

I always felt like there would be some way to put him honorably back out into Westeros. I haven't read anything beyond CoK, so anything that I think is clearly speculation. However...

(End of CoK spoiler)

Now that Jon is with the Wildings, we have even less of an idea of where he might end up. Obviously, he is still a man of the Nights Watch, but we all know that Jon is prone to extestential crisis.

He may be forced to abandon his black brothers, or maybe they won't be there for him when he returns. With GRRM, we really can never be sure untill we read the outcome! :)

• 2 months later...

i am fond to this outcome as well, J= R+L

but, the vision said "Aegon, the prince that was promised, and his is the song of ice and fire"...

for me that means that the song of... is Aegon´s son, because "it is his..." so it would one of Aegon´s sons, probable Aerys the mad king?

although that doesnt make much sense either way...

Hello everyone! I am new here and this is my first post so please bear with me and my apologies for any mistakes I may make. Love the books so far and have only read through ACoK.

As regards to the above comment that I quoted, could Aegon, the prince that was promised etc. be the child/union of Dany and Jon? I haven't read beyond ACoK so I don't know who lives or dies. Am excited to see what Mr. Martin has in store for me though :). Just a thought to throw out there. Love reading you all, great ideas and insights!

As regards to the above comment that I quoted, could Aegon, the prince that was promised etc. be the child/union of Dany and Jon?

You're referring to the vision? The man is clearly described as having silver gold hair and violet eyes.

Archived