Well, as a Canadian-American with a 1/2 British mother and many relatives who grew up in actual British colonies, I'm thoroughly confused about my position vis-a-vis the motherland. Are you a centre of all true civilization or a bunch of colonialist oppressors? I don't know--but I do know that study was right about one thing: your accents are horribly unintelligible.

Horribly unintelligible? Hmm, have you listened to

recently? A model of clarity.

True civilisation? Colonist Oppression? Y'know at some stage you have to let go of these false antitheses and embrace the essential unity of Britishness. That's right, milk and two sugars, a liquid lunch and something spirtually uplifting - like a G&T, or whisky in your hipflask. But I'm only a Saaf London Lad and probably not best placed to answer your question.

• 1 month later...

Presented for your delectation:

Blair the Godfather

The former prime minister was reportedly present in March last year when Murdoch’s two daughters by his third wife were baptised on the banks of the Jordan.

The information was not made public and its disclosure in an interview with Mrs Murdoch in Vogue will prove highly embarrassing for Mr Blair.

His close ties to the Murdochs could explain his reluctance to condemn the News International phone hacking scandal.

In July, it was reported that he asked Gordon Brown to put pressure on Tom Watson, the Labour MP who helped expose the scandal, to drop his investigation.

Mr Blair’s spokesman categorically denied the allegation.

If the image of Tony in a white robe distresses you, read no further. My favourite bit is about Wendi, though:

Her engineer parents insisted that she study medicine, but she dropped out of her course. She was befriended by an American woman, Joyce Cherry, who taught her English and offered to sponsor her to study at California State University.

Having taken up the offer and moved in with the family, she embarked upon an affair with Mrs Cherry’s husband, Jake. He divorced his wife and married Wendi. The marriage lasted four months, during which time she gained a Green Card.

She gained an MBA from Yale Business School and progressed to Murdoch’s Star TV network in Hong Kong, where she met her future husband.

Describing their first encounter in 1998, she said: “Rupert was in a meeting and he was asking what was going on in China. They brought me into the meeting and that was how we met.”

They married in 1999 on Murdoch’s yacht. The wedding took place 17 days after Murdoch’s divorce from Anna, his wife of 31 years and mother to Lachlan, James and Elisabeth.

Nicole Kidman told the magazine that she and Mrs Murdoch are kindred spirits.

“Wendi is all about friendship between women,” she said.

It would take an unkinder man than I to comment... where is Usotsuki, anyway? :P

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/3791303/John-Cleese-London-is-no-longer-English-city.html

FAWLTY Towers legend John Cleese has come under fire after declaring: "London is no longer an English city."

The comic, 71, said that the mix of cultures had helped the capital win the 2012 Olympics.But he added that it can be hard to find an English person and that the "parent culture has dissipated".

Cleese, who is performing in Sydney, was asked on Australian TV what he thought of last month's riots around the UK.He replied: "I'm not sure what's going on in Britain. Let me say this, I don't know what's going on in London because London is no longer an English city.

"That's how they got the Olympics. They said, 'We're the most cosmopolitan city on Earth', but it doesn't feel English."I had a Californian friend come over two months ago, walk down the King's Road and say to me, 'Well, where are all the English people?'

"I love having different cultures around but when the parent culture kind of dissipates, you're left thinking, 'What's going on?' "

• 1 month later...

I was listening to the radio this morning and they were talking about the defence minister and the dodgy dealings of his friend, all the standard stuff anyway, when I noticed something that I hadn't heard before that the friend was 34, had been friends with Liam Fox, who is fifty, for fourteen years, including some time when they shared a flat, and that Fox was only recently married (upon which occasion Mr Werritty was best man).

It's probably just me, but is another case where we should be prefixing the politician's name with the phrase 'noted hetrosexual' just to reassure potential blue rinse Tory voters just as one says noted hetrosexual Billy Hague?

On the other hand I have a vague memory of Fox being involved in a hetrosexual sex scandal years back - but maybe I'm confusing him with somebody else.

I can't reply directly to people's posts. :(

It's probably just me, but is another case where we should be prefixing the politician's name with the phrase 'noted hetrosexual' just to reassure potential blue rinse Tory voters just as one says noted hetrosexual Billy Hague?

I was thinking the exact same thing. :P I'm wondering how long it will take for the media to mention it...

Good, not just me then.

If Fox is having his 'friend' round for a spot of lunch time sex on his office sofa in the MoD at least it would make sense of why he is refusing to answer any questions.

I can't reply directly to people's posts. :( I was thinking the exact same thing. :P I'm wondering how long it will take for the media to mention it...

Today if not before.

The whole thing is bizarre. This quotation "The BBC's Nick Robinson says the wealthy backers who paid Mr Werritty an annual retainer did so because they saw him as someone who, unlike civil servants, could be relied on to champion support for Eurosceptic, pro-American and pro-Israeli policies" is basically saying that some rich people got together to pay a minder for Mr/Dr Fox (the article is inconsistent about whether he has a doctorate) to influence him to work for their interests. Ugh.

Fox is a Medical Doctor rather than a phD I think.

If Fox has a romantic interest in Werrity then that would explain his blind spot. If he doesn't then things, in my opinion, start to look really weird.

And the explainations start to make things sound worse if anything.

But the Minister of Defence having a person without secuity clearance openly acting as though he was an offical advisor and being present at meetings has got to be a sackable offence. It's not as though he's the minister of transport and the worst that could happen is that a company gets a commercial advantage.

And the explainations start to make things sound worse if anything.

Yeah, I have to agree. 'No, you see an anonymous rich person was actually paying for Mr Werrity to stick to the defence secretary at all times as a sort of permanent political lobbyist'. Well, that's OK then!

Cameron's been reluctant to sack anyone for obvious reasons - it always gets messy in a coalition - but he surely has to accept that Fox is dead in the water now.

I think we should all take a moment to applaud Mr Letwin's work ethic, under the Coalition ministers are showing a blatant disregard for security and privacy before breakfast whilst under the Brown regime documents were rarely mislaid before noon and never at the weekend.

I think he'd love to accept that, but the right of the party won't let him. Of course, if the sexuality issues are true, that's pretty bizarre considering the general attitude to such matters among much of that wing.

IIRC the Thatcherite wing of the Conservative party has long accepted that a sympathetic politician is allowed to have a gay boyfriend provided that the politician himself is a noted heterosexual.

I think we should all take a moment to applaud Mr Letwin's work ethic, under the Coalition ministers are showing a blatant disregard for security and privacy before breakfast whilst under the Brown regime documents were rarely mislaid before noon and never at the weekend.

:rofl:

IIRC the Thatcherite wing of the Conservative party has long accepted that a sympathetic politician is allowed to have a gay boyfriend provided that the politician himself is a noted heterosexual.

An excellent point.

And where have you been, might I ask?

Rather embarrassingly the board logged me out during its re-design and I lacked the enthusiasm required to log back in. But apparently even ADWD-induced apathy is no match for the slashy potential of the Fox scandal.

I confidently expect Lummel or Cerys to produce something truly horrifying before the week is out.

I am in awe as reality is stranger than any fiction I could imagine. The best I can come up with would be something like this:

Only the moon bore witness as Fox and Werrity lay together.

"Adam, do you think there is something a bit...well a bit...gay about this?"

Werrity, who had been nibbling Fox's ear, paused.

"Gay? Like funloving and frolicsome? Yes, I should say so". He stroked the inside of Fox's thigh.

"No, not..frolicsome...like something queer"

"Queer? Like odd or unique? Yes I should say so my little council house Tory!" He laughed and drew a heart with his forefinger on Fox's chest.

"No, I meant...I meant... our relationship"

"Now don't you worry about that, it's our special relationship. Why don't we shift round and you give me another prostate exam, but ths time try not to be so clinical about it - we are friends after all".

Archived