Asha Greyjoy cast

I get the name change too since I used to mix up Osha and Asha at first. But I don't like Yara that much for 2 reasons:

One, it's just not very nice-sounding, nor Iron Island sounding to me.

Two, I am going to end up calling her 'Asha-Yara' which sounds a lot like the name of another female 'warrior' character and I am going to be driven mad wondering whether or not the producers intentionally wanted that association or not.

I will never call Asha anything else but Asha. Yara sound like some kind of dog. And I'm not going along with that 'Robin'-nonsense as well. That's just stupid.

I don't have a problem with them deciding to change her name, but I'm not fond of the choice of "Yara". They run into the same trouble because it's awfully close to Arya.

Maybe, but Arya and *Yara (as of yet) have not crossed paths so it should not be too difficult to distinguish the two.

And I don't particulalry like Yara. But this is quite minor in the big scheme of things.

I agree it's not worth getting bent out of shape over, but I don't believe that Asha crosses paths with Osha in the books either, does she? I do remember Theon thinking in the book how their names are similar though. Heh I wish they had just changed it slightly like Tasha, but oh well.

I'm relieved they didn't think Tywin and Tyrion's names needed to be changed.

They shoulda run a board competition to re-name Asha. I don't mind them changing her name. What's in a name anyway? Asha has no historically important context.

But Asha is a cooler name than Yara. So they needed to give her a name with equal coolness factor, so they failed there.

Robin for Robert was fine, because that at least has some connection to the book:

Sansa's pet name for him.

Oop's I better spoiler that.

Yara sounds more like Arya than Asha sounds likes Osha.

What a stupid decision.

Goodness, why not just expand the name 'Asha' to 'Ashara' ?

Ashara Greyjoy. There you go, no more confusion with Osha or Arya. Sounds good actually.

HBO, you need to employ me as your consultant. Call me.

Don't really care much either way about the new name, but it's funny, Yara is a Norwegian company that makes artificial fertilizer. They took their name from "jardar", old norse for "a good harvest/good year for crops".

We do not sow, indeed...

I don't like the name Yara, they should choose a better name or just keep Asha.

Why change it? The book readers already know the difference between the characters, and most TV viewers probably don't know what Osha's name is - she'll just be that wildling chick with the crazy hair to them.

I'm not sure if Osha's name was actually said in the series as of yet. And as she is also going to be on screen the next season, I don't see why this was necessary.

Archived