Asha Greyjoy cast

Hm, guess I don't really mind the name change. But come on, it can't be THAT confusing. We're all adults here, not kids who get letters and sounds mixed up, I think we can figure out that Osha is the Wildling woman at Winterfell, and Asha is Theon's sister.

But whatever, and as someone stated, Yara does sound similar to Arya, they just moved the "Y" to the front of the name.

Weird. I always pronounced Asha as "Ahh-sha" and Osha as "Owe-sha" Similar but it doesn't need a change I think... They could have just had the name be pronounced as "Ash-ah" With the Ash part sounding like the word ash. Anyway if this is legit think the actress is very cute she looks a little more wholesome than I pictured but I'm sure she'll be fine.

I had a friend named Asha and she pronounced it "Aye-sha." I would have accepted that. Yara just seems weird.

My friends who haven't read the books don't know who "Osha" is anyway when I mention her name (nor do they know half of the characters).

The main thing that annoys me is that they see the need to change names at all. Yes, some names are similar, but do they really think that their audience can't distinguish between two similarly named characters?

It seems to me that the part of the audience who've read the books will be annoyed by the name change, and the majority of those who haven't read the books will probably just think of her as Theon's sister and not have a clue what her name actually is. Like I doubt many know Osha's name at this point.

Since they felt they had to do this, I wish they'd picked a better name. I like the suggestion of expanding it to Ashara. I'd prefer no change at all, but that's certainly better than Yara.

Okay, I am going to take the novel approach of commenting on something other than the name change.

Her profile says she is "highly skilled" at swimming. Appropriate ;). (I know we don't see her swimming). The Drowned God approves :thumbsup:

Gods, its just a name! I swear, if Martin had wrote the books with her named Yara, and they changed the name to Asha, you;d all be complaining how it doesn't sound Iron Islandish enough, and how it will get people to confuse her with Osha. Give it a break. I actually think Yara sounds nicer than Asha.

Why is nobody discussing the actress? Her profile pictures over in that link at the top looks amazingly how I imagined Asha in my readings. I also think its good how they went with a comedic actor, I think it fits with the character.

Gods, its just a name! I swear, if Martin had wrote the books with her named Yara, and they changed the name to Asha, you;d all be complaining how it doesn't sound Iron Islandish enough, and how it will get people to confuse her with Osha. Give it a break. I actually think Yara sounds nicer than Asha.

sooo...you'd be fine if they changed names left and right? like, say, if eddard were changed to the more common edward?

Asha's my fav character in the series, so if they do end up changing her name or not portraying her 'properly', then I think it's be understandable if I'm a bit upset, yes?

how would other folks feel if their favourite characters' names were changed? :wacko: :ph34r:

Why is nobody discussing the actress? Her profile pictures over in that link at the top looks amazingly how I imagined Asha in my readings. I also think its good how they went with a comedic actor, I think it fits with the character.

she looks ok. i'd imagined someone w/ 'sharper' features (she looks a bit too 'kind').

of course, it's kinda hard to judge from just the photos on that page (and i don't think i've seen any of the films she's credited in being).

the list of what she does (the swimming, yoga, etc.) is kinda interesting, since Asha is supposed to be 'capable'.

Hey, I think Yara is a pretty nice name. I've got a cousin named that. Not very Ironborn-sounding though, sounds like more of an across the sea sort of name. She'll still be Asha in my mind.

she looks ok. i'd imagined someone w/ 'sharper' features (she looks a bit too 'kind').

I'm sure they'll sharpen her up a little bit as Asha, like they'll have to make Gwendoline Christie look more homely as Brienne.

sooo...you'd be fine if they changed names left and right?

They'd better not change Left and Right! If Olenna Tyrell's guards are named Up and Down or some such I'd get my panties as twisted as the rest of this thread.

It's probably not the right call, but it just isn't THAT important. And yes, Asha Greyjoy is among my favorite characters. For years, my personal title on this forum and its predecessor was "Salt Husband of Pyke" (or "Salt Husband of Harlaw" after we saw the Kraken chapters of AFFC). I do agree that they had to change either Osha or Asha - when you factor in accents, the names are too close to my crude Yanqui ear.

Though I think in retrospect it was Osha that should have been changed. Too late for that now.

sooo...you'd be fine if they changed names left and right? like, say, if eddard were changed to the more common edward?

Asha's my fav character in the series, so if they do end up changing her name or not portraying her 'properly', then I think it's be understandable if I'm a bit upset, yes?

how would other folks feel if their favourite characters' names were changed? :wacko: :ph34r:

Given that we know for a fact that they're not changing names left and right, I'd say the point is moot. The point is whether changing one or two names of relatively minor characters is acceptable (or even a big deal, which I'd say is not). To compare that with 'changing names left and right' is nothing but a strawman, since they're not doing that, and we're not discussing that.

They could have found a better name, but I expected this change. Hmm Arya, Yara, Arya, Yara. There is one more syllable in Arya than Yara so it's a bit more different than Osha and Asha and ppl have to remember that tv viewers have struggled at times in season one just remembering who was and wasn't in the Stark clan. Helping them out as much as possible are the type of things that will keep them in the game and keep this show on the air.

Archived