Gwendoline Christie is Brienne of Tarth

Westeros

Just as we speculated yesterday, George R.R. Martin has confirmed that actress Gwendoline Christie (lovegwendoline on Twitter) is now Brienne of Tarth! As he says in his confirmation post:

This was another one of those cases where there was hardly any debate. The day the first batch of auditions went up for the role, we looked at a dozen actresses who were reading for Brienne and one actress who WAS Brienne. Gwendoline gave a great reading, and her look was just perfect. No, when she auditioned, she did not look she does in the photo above. She came in looking… well, like Brienne.

Below is a sampling of Youtube videos featuring Christie.

read on >>>

Visit the Site!

Superb piece of casting. Nowhere near as ugly as Brienne is described in the books, but that is all to the good (TV executives don't want to put anyone too ugly in one of their flagship IPs now, do they?) nor is she handsome enough to carry the show herself based on looks alone; very astute piece of casting. Great eyes, too. Brienne's most redeeming aesthetic.

The make-up could make her more "ugly", she is too beauty to be Brienne, but I say the same for Peter Drinklage to be Tyrion and now is the best actor I could imagine in the role. Anyway, great casting. Great character, I hope that will be a role for her.

I'm very happy with the casting. :) She's not an actress I'd consider ugly at all, but her looks are unconventional enough that she should have no problem looking plain and even ugly with make up. Her height will go a long way towards communicating why she and others regard her as a "freak". She's also very flat chested as well if any of you tried looking up not safe for look pictures. With armor she'll look plenty bulky too. She's also blond and has lovely blue eyes. She's a great choice.

Anyone have any idea how tall Michelle Fairley is? I'm curious how much taller Brienne will look compared to her.

They could easily uglify her; the hard part was getting someone who was probably tall enough, and decent enough actor to pull it off, which is what they've done here. A bit of makeup and its quite easy to make someone look hideous :P

Wow, I haven't been following the casting discussions about her but that is much taller than I expected them to find an actress at. Her pictures make me feel little - I was expecting someone about 5'10" or so.

Cool news!

6'3" according to imdb. looks a bit slender to me but there is probably not a huge talent pool to choose from to cast brienne as she is in the books.

She will be in armour all of season 2 so that can help make her look bulkier then she is especially since she has the height already.

I believe I read that Michelle Fairley is 5'6. Brienne will TOWER over Cat. :P

Nic is 6'2" I believe so she will be an inch taller then Jaimie too :laugh:

Edit: In fact a quick google search shows that she is 191cm and he is 189cm

I'm really looking forward to see her as Brienne!

O.k., she's definitely not ugly :) but thats no problem for me.

Whats really weird is, that she just looks like someone from our family! Put her face in a family photo, and she would look like another of my siblings, thats really weird because we are all really short! :D

But as someone who has the same facial shape, I know that it's easy to make her look weird, if you give her the right (or wrong) haircut, and I think her hair was discribed as a dirty blonde.

I always pictured Brienne with very unattractive hair, because she is so un-feminine. All the little ladys have pretty hairstyles in Westeros and they really made an effort in the tv series to give them distinct and pretty hairstyles. So I think, with Brienne-ish hair and maybe (not necessarily) a set of false teeth, she would look perfectly weird next to the relativly short and girly looking loras and next to all the little ladys!!! Oh I can't wait for the next season and to see what the make up department, costumedesigner and everybody have in mind for her!!!

I believe I read that Michelle Fairley is 5'6. Brienne will TOWER over Cat. :P

That's great! I didn't get the impression that Loras was particularly tall either. It'll be fun to see her tower over most of the cast and it'll lend itself well from a visual point of view to show the audience why Brienne is considered by most people in Westeros a freak of a woman.

Archived