Gwendoline Christie is Brienne of Tarth

Westeros

Maybe it's me, but even when reading the book, I never considered Brienne to be downright ugly. I pictured her as cute in a plain Jane sort of way, but her height and muscles made her less appealing, particularly in a medieval culture.

Not sure if others were expecting someone with broken teeth and warts and a misshapen brow, but this is Hollywood after all, and Brienne isn't being cast as the wicked witch of Westeros.

But she's pretty???

I had a hard time imagining Brienne in my head. I hope they put bright blue contacts on her to emphasize the eyes. I hope we can see her casting video soon, as Martin said she 'looked like Brienne'.

Maybe part of the ugliness was more about her dress & size, but I thought she had a horseface too.

I don't know, Brienne annoys me bc she's so idealistic that she can come across kinda dumb. I guess its hard to judge till you see the actress embodying the character's personality, but I'm still displeased with the actors chosen for Cersei, Robert, and Joffrey (looks-wise, not their acting ability)

Maybe it's me, but even when reading the book, I never considered Brienne to be downright ugly. I pictured her as cute in a plain Jane sort of way, but her height and muscles made her less appealing, particularly in a medieval culture.

Much like Tyrion, I assumed she was mainly considered ugly because she didn't fit the norm for Westeros, either in her appearance or her behaviour. 'Ugly' is as subjective a term as 'beautiful', really.

Still surprised that Mel and stannis haven't been cast yet. And I agree, not all of the characters fit their descriptions well, in particular Robert baratheon, Joffrey, and cersei. I don't find Lena Headey attractive but her acting ability makes her an acceptable choice. The same can be said for the other two

Do you think they'll show the fight scene between

her and Loras?

Gods I hope so. I just reread that chapter and it was such a bad ass introduction to Brienne,

freaking pulling off that mommas boy from his horse and holding your dagger to his neck making him say "I yield"...I'd declare my love for her then and there.

Not sure if others were expecting someone with broken teeth and warts and a misshapen brow, but this is Hollywood after all, and Brienne isn't being cast as the wicked witch of Westeros.

I agree, I thought people were just really harsh on her because she was a lady with a bunch of guys and they were all insecure cause she could kick their asses and her height and strength didn't fit with the normal ideal chick of the time.

The books did say she has a horse face but they say the same thing about Arya and Arya is supposed to take after her aunt Lyanna who was considered beautiful too.

People just don't think she was ugly because no one ever wants to admit there are ugly women out there that can have a role in life/stories.

People - Brienne was -ugly-. She had huge crooked teeth, a nose that had been broken many times, dry coarse hair that stuck out all over like straw, and in the book it was frequently described that she was "thick with muscle" .

And we get a pretty twig to play her. That's Hollywood for you.

People just don't think she was ugly because no one ever wants to admit there are ugly women out there that can have a role in life/stories.

People - Brienne was -ugly-. She had huge crooked teeth, a nose that had been broken many times, dry coarse hair that stuck out all over like straw, and in the book it was frequently described that she was "thick with muscle" .

So do you think the make up department is incapable of making her seem plain or ugly, and the fact she'll be wearing bulky plate armor won't at all convey the impression that she's muscular? I don't recall people complaining about Loras until we had that scene with him naked with Renly which he clearly wasn't muscular, but we won't be having any scenes like that with Brienne until season 3. I'd be surprised if by then she hasn't put on some muscular definition considering how physically taxing the role is.

Would it have been nice if they could have found an actress that fit book Brienne's description to a tee? Of course it would have been, but let's face it. Most women who would fit that description wouldn't be going into acting in the first place. I dislike the double standard because I think there's more chances for less than attractive men to be actors, but it doesn't change the way things are, unfortunately. :(

Brienne needs someone who is a good actress to play her, and Christie appears to have solid acting experience on the stage, plus her imposing height will go a long way toward conveying how much of a "freak" the people in Westeros regard this woman, and she has lovely blue eyes. I think all things considering, they made a good choice here.

Actually no, and I rather resent that.

Trust me, I'm sure I resent the fact more that people always seem to "prettify" everything when it comes to women. Which is why I hate "Hollywood ugly" so much. Sorry, but it's true.

But as someone who has the same facial shape, I know that it's easy to make her look weird, if you give her the right (or wrong) haircut, and I think her hair was discribed as a dirty blonde.

I always pictured Brienne with very unattractive hair, because she is so un-feminine. All the little ladys have pretty hairstyles in Westeros and they really made an effort in the tv series to give them distinct and pretty hairstyles. So I think, with Brienne-ish hair and maybe (not necessarily) a set of false teeth, she would look perfectly weird next to the relativly short and girly looking loras and next to all the little ladys!!! Oh I can't wait for the next season and to see what the make up department, costumedesigner and everybody have in mind for her!!!

This I plus!

I mean you only have to look at all the makeover shows on TV to see how dramatically changing how someone dresses and how their hair is done can completely change whether they as perceived as attractive or not. And that can be done in reverse...

You also have to take in account most if all of Gwendoline's photos are probably set up to show her at her best beauty wise - as has been said earlier the acting industry has a far more bias towards women who look beautiful. As for what the costume and make-up departments can do regards of 'minging' her up for the role you only have to look at Natalia Tena (who as seen in interviews is rather pretty) as Osha in season 1.

Its really nice that so many of Georges fans know more about his characters then he does.....

http://grrm.livejournal.com/227044.html

This was another one of those cases where there was hardly any debate. The day the first batch of auditions went up for the role, we looked at a dozen actresses who were reading for Brienne and one actress who WAS Brienne. Gwendoline gave a great reading, and her look was just perfect. No, when she auditioned, she did not look she does in the photo above. She came in looking... well, like Brienne.

Also as already pointed out in this thread a few times yet constantly ignored by you. Make up departments can work wonders, as can dedication from an actor or actress to a role. Wait to see her in season Two before commencing your nerd rage bitching.

I think all things considered, they made a pretty excellent choice. And looking at the shape of her face, I can totally see how they could "plain" her up if they go that way.

Even if they don't, I'm kind of with the "Tyrion" opinions as well - the physical freakishness will make society believe a person is less attractive.

This is one of those cases where I am willing to relax my normally anal casting notes. Finding a woman who is:

1. Over six feet, preferably significantly so.

2. Muscled like a gridiron lineman.

3. In her 20s (or looks it)

4. Ugly.

5. Talented actress.

Is a much harder than, lets use Renly's character for this example, A man who is:

1. Over six feet, preferably significantly so.

2. Built like a fitness model.

3. In his 20s (or looks it).

4. Handsome.

5. Talented actor.

Finding that right guy is going to be a hell of a job; finding that woman is, for all intents and purposes, impossible.

While I think they could have tried harder for a few of the roles in the series so far, this is about as close as you can expect to get realistically.

GRRM has also been very enthusiastic about Sean Bean and Mark Addy, neither of whom are particularly good fits with how the characters are described physically in the books. As much as we may respect his opinion, we can still disagree with it fairly when it runs counter to what is actually printed in the books that brought us all to this point.

There is a middle ground between saying "This sucks because it is different." and "It is okay because George says so."

I like that middle ground.

Also, the photos I've seen of her are mostly glamour shots. They've made her up and put her in pretty clothes with the intention of enhancing beauty. I know that I've got pictures of myself in a cocktail dress and heels, all made up to go out to the theater, and when you stack them up against pictures in jeans with braided hair and no makeup, heading out to go hiking - well, you can barely recognize me in each of them.

Pictures of her made up to look glamorous and beautiful do not reflect what she looks like when all the gunk is removed from her face. And given that one headshot on GRRM's page, I think she'll be just fine. She's not Quasimodo, but she doesn't need to be if she's tall and made to look muscular. She's a bit thin for what I perceived of Brienne, I agree with that, but its not hard to either bulk up a bit or to keep her in armor most of the time. I think its fantastic that they found such a tall actress; she'll dwarf all of the men on the set other than the Clegane brothers.

Archived