[BOOK SPOILERS] What would you like for the TV show to change?

Kadence

I want Cat to slit Walder Frey's throat at the Red Wedding instead of that completely insignificant person. Ditch the scenes with Cat and Hoster Tully. Make Sansa grow a pair! Reveal more of the conspiring between Ilyrio and Varys. Kill Sweet Robin via falling with Lysa through the moon roof while breastfeeding :rolleyes: Have Jon also behead Alister Thorne. Tyrion the Hand should send GM Pycell to The Wall where he catches greyscale from the little ugly Baratheon girl and becomes one of the scarecrows on the top of the wall.

I want Cat to slit Walder Frey's throat at the Red Wedding instead of that completely insignificant person. Ditch the scenes with Cat and Hoster Tully. Make Sansa grow a pair! Reveal more of the conspiring between Ilyrio and Varys. Kill Sweet Robin via falling with Lysa through the moon roof while breastfeeding :rolleyes: Have Jon also behead Alister Thorne. Tyrion the Hand should send GM Pycell to The Wall where he catches greyscale from the little ugly Baratheon girl and becomes one of the scarecrows on the top of the wall.

Oh and can Osha and Rikon stay with Bran and the Reeds.

Yes, but keep Cleftjaw and expand his character for all the badassery that he is.

:agree:

Though realistically, from the perspective of time and efficiency, it might make sense to merge Cleftjaw with another Ironborn. Victarion, perhaps? Though I doubt Victarion would go along with Theon's asinine plan.

So never mind. LONG LIVE THE CLEFTJAW!!!

I want Joffrey to confess to Sansa that he sent the assassin after her little brother as a way to upset her, which is just the sort of shitty thing Joffrey would do to her. It'd be a dramatic way to show it on the TV show, and it'd provide the writers with the chance to explain his exact motivations which were unclear in the books.

Huge change... I like it. Going along with that:

1. Thoros is unable to resurrect people. Reason: The show established itself as low fantasy with little to no magic use aside from the wights which can be attributed to it simply because it was done by 'White Walkers' and not humans.

2. By extension, Beric Dondarrion doesn't keep getting himself killed, merely defeated. If need be, have Sandor spare him during his trial by combat.

3. Have Daenerys arrive in Westeros. Reason: The general, non-book-reading audience seem to want/expect this and having it not happen after five seasons might leave them a bit bored with that storyline.

4. Have the story be character-driven rather than plot-driven. Reason: TV shows are generally structured as such.

I got to disagree with you, the reason this show has become a worldwide phenomenon and they are countless new fans of the books thanks to it is because the show doesn't fully hold to normal TV conventions on how thongs should play out. If it were to conform itself and change to be like all that other crap on TV whats the point. This Series has reached so many people cus it's different from what they expect and because it stayed as true as it could to the book. I say they need to keep that up thats what makes this whole universe from the books to the TV of ASOIAF great.

And about the low magic thing, The first book really had nothing magical in it to begin with except the appearance of the Others and the dragons, which were shown in the show. If your counting Brans dreams as magical then ya they skimped on that.

To add something more major:

I hope Bronn doesn't betray Tyrion. Or at the very least, redeems himself by helping Tyrion escape King's Landing at the end of SOS. I don't know, to me, the end of their friendship was just too abrupt in the books and I didn't like the notion that Bronn really in fact was only in it for the money and titles.

That's unfair on Bronn, given that both he and Tyrion knew that he was a mercenary, and he gave Tyrion honest service, in return for payment. Tyrion knows very well that "a sellsword will kill for you, but he won't die for you."

He might very well have fought Gregor for Tyrion, were it not for the fact that he'd lose either way by doing so. He might be killed by Gregor (although Bronn seemed to fancy his chances), but if he killed Gregor, he lost the chance to marry Lollys.

That's unfair on Bronn, given that both he and Tyrion knew that he was a mercenary, and he gave Tyrion honest service, in return for payment. Tyrion knows very well that "a sellsword will kill for you, but he won't die for you."

He might very well have fought Gregor for Tyrion, were it not for the fact that he'd lose either way by doing so. He might be killed by Gregor (although Bronn seemed to fancy his chances), but if he killed Gregor, he lost the chance to marry Lollys.

Same goes for Shae, but Tyrion murdered her anyway...

Ends with SOS. As much as I liked FFC it wouldnt make for a great adaptation, and DWD would be dowright dreadful.

It ends like this:

1. The Northern rebellion has ended. Roose Bolton is now warden.

2. Dany is a queen in her own right.

3. Joff is dead, Tommen is on the throne

4. Tyrion's life is shattered

5. Sansa has escaped with LF

6. Arya escape to Braavos

7. Hound is dying

8. Jon is LC

9. BRONN IS A FUCKING LORD.

Last scene of the series is Bronn pondering life over a cup of Arbor gold.

So far David Benioff and D. B. Weiss have been amazing in how they have put so much of the prose on the screen without losing the spirit of the story. So I am not worried about them finding a way.

I agree there should be 12 episodes , let's hope season 3 has 12.

HBO please dig out a few more bucks for expanded CGI , getting to point where it's needed.

So far David Benioff and D. B. Weiss have been amazing in how they have put so much of the prose on the screen without losing the spirit of the story. So I am not worried about them finding a way.

I agree there should be 12 episodes , let's hope season 3 has 12.

HBO please dig out a few more bucks for expanded CGI , getting to point where it's needed.

HBO has officially said that they "can't" do more than ten episodes. Can't is relative - HBO has tons of cash, they can turn can't to can if they want to. But they say that if it was more than ten then there would be longer lags between seasons (more than 12 months). It would overstretch the show's resources (read: the money HBO has allocated for the show) and the episodes wouldn't be "as good" in quality as we'd expect. Too much stress on the writers, the cast, the crew, postproduction.

I think they just sound cheap, but that's their definitive answer.

HBO has officially said that they "can't" do more than ten episodes. Can't is relative - HBO has tons of cash, they can turn can't to can if they want to. But they say that if it was more than ten then there would be longer lags between seasons (more than 12 months). It would overstretch the show's resources (read: the money HBO has allocated for the show) and the episodes wouldn't be "as good" in quality as we'd expect. Too much stress on the writers, the cast, the crew, postproduction. I think they just sound cheap, but that's their definitive answer.

For other shows, HBO has been willing to offer an extra episode or two if the story calls for it -- even horribly rated (but great) Treme got 11 episodes this year. I doubt D&D pushed very hard for an extra hour or two in S1/S2 because it's clearly not crucial. ASOS will be a different story. I still think that when they try to plot out their idea of splitting it into two seasons it won't work, and they'll fall back on asking for 12 or 13 episodes. If the show gets better ratings, DVD sales, and Emmys during S2, they'll be able to make a pretty good case.

Actually now that you bring it up, I'm confident this is exactly what they'll do. Loras will be Renly's ghost. Unlike in the books they are the same size. And I think it actually is an improvement, and will be more emotionally gratifying for the viewer.

I envision it this way too. When all seems lost, we see an army show up with Tywin, Littlefinger, Loras, and maybe even Marg. Loras lowers his visor and leads the host into battle as "Renly," fulfilling the prophecy. Since we'll certainly be getting more Renly/Tyrell material, that fits perfectly as a capstone.

I vote for removing the Blackfish for a few seasons. It's basically the Howland Reed effect (we think he's awesome because it's all rumours and legends). If you constantly hear stories of the Blackfish defending Riverrun single-handedly and evading capture

ADWD Spoiler

Not forgetting dodging past the siege encampments outside Riverrun

the viewers will think he's incredible too. He can then be cast as somebody awesome a few years down the line and be instantly worshipped! That's what I'm hoping for, anyway.

equal opportunity fan service.

G.R.R.M has these two utterly plot irrelevant lesbian sex scenes where he goes out of his way to make clear that the POV characters don't actually enjoy it and it's only ever really good with a man. You couldn't make it more blatant. it's like a scantily clad ring girl suddenly dancing through the scene with a big flashing neon sign reading "and now a little something for the fanboys" - not ony alienating but also really obnoxious, because it takes the non-targeted fans completly out the story.

I won't complain however if the show also gives us a proper Renly/Loras sex scene. It wouldn't even be gratuitos for a change, because Loras is a fairly important character and largely motivated by his love for renly.

including some lesbian sex scenes where the participants are actually into it would be nice too. (Maegary? I have high hopes for her in that respect).

i'd never suggest cutting the gratituous sex, because let's face it: it's Hbo, this won't happen - so clearly including more gratituous sex that seems gratituous to different segments of the target group is the way to go.

I vote for removing the Blackfish for a few seasons. It's basically the Howland Reed effect (we think he's awesome because it's all rumours and legends). If you constantly hear stories of the Blackfish defending Riverrun single-handedly and evading capture... He can then be cast as somebody awesome a few years down the line and be instantly worshipped! That's what I'm hoping for, anyway.

Someone like... Ron Pearlman.

http://www.accesshollywood.com/ron-perlman-would-love-to-reunite-with-beauty-and-the-beast-writer-george-rr-martin-for-game-of-thrones-role_article_52019

Sons will be wrapped up by the time they get to Feast/Dragons territory.

I got to disagree with you, the reason this show has become a worldwide phenomenon and they are countless new fans of the books thanks to it is because the show doesn't fully hold to normal TV conventions on how thongs should play out. If it were to conform itself and change to be like all that other crap on TV whats the point. This Series has reached so many people cus it's different from what they expect and because it stayed as true as it could to the book. I say they need to keep that up thats what makes this whole universe from the books to the TV of ASOIAF great.

True up to a point

But there has to be a number of changes to fit with the medium. The multiplying POV characters seen in AFFC and ADWD (most of whom are not in contact with the others), combined with all the minor characters they interact with is not feasible for a TV show, on grounds both of budget(all those speaking roles) and the ability of the audience to figure out what is going on.

Secondly there is the length of the series in numbers of seasons, GRRM has spoken of two seasons for ASOS, and three for a AFFC and a ADWD combined(which would mean at least 9 in total). I am not sure how serious he was when he said that, but if HBO do see this through to the end IMO it will be in a maximum of 7 seasons, and probably 6.

In order to achieve this they will not merely be able to tinker with it, by leaving out a few minor characters, but restructure events to move them into different seasons and omit entire plotlines altogether.

The problem of the size of a ASOS can be partly solved by moving some of the events up into season 2.

For a combined season covering AFFC and a ADWD (which is what is required IMO) just strip out any new characters who are not essential for either the main characters we have grown to know, or the final plot resolution.

I.E.

As much as possible of the Iron islands, Brienne’s wanderings, and from ADWD

All of Tyrion's chapers up until the point he is captured in the brothel.

The new Targ

The Dornish prince

At least half of the Dany storyline and Mereen in general

and again as much of the Iron islands folk as possible.

Huge change... I like it. Going along with that:

1. Thoros is unable to resurrect people. Reason: The show established itself as low fantasy with little to no magic use aside from the wights which can be attributed to it simply because it was done by 'White Walkers' and not humans.

2. By extension, Beric Dondarrion doesn't keep getting himself killed, merely defeated. If need be, have Sandor spare him during his trial by combat.

3. Have Daenerys arrive in Westeros. Reason: The general, non-book-reading audience seem to want/expect this and having it not happen after five seasons might leave them a bit bored with that storyline.

4. Have the story be character-driven rather than plot-driven. Reason: TV shows are generally structured as such.

These are horrible, horrible ideas and I'm hoping this is a joke post.

For a combined season covering AFFC and a ADWD (which is what is required IMO) just strip out any new characters who are not essential for either the main characters we have grown to know, or the final plot resolution.

I.E.

As much as possible of the Iron islands, Brienne’s wanderings,

It's IMPOSSIBLE to have only season for the two books. Surely you can reduce Brienne's wanderings, and some of the Iron Islands (but not the Kingsmoot), but there's only so much you can cut for the story to have any sense.

and from ADWD

All of Tyrion's chapers up until the point he is captured in the brothel.

The new Targ

The Dornish prince

At least half of the Dany storyline and Mereen in general

and again as much of the Iron islands folk as possible.

Some of it you can reduce, but you can't remove Aegon from it, otherwise everything Varys ever did makes no sense. Real Aegon or not, his character is a game changer.

As for Quentyn, you need him, but not any of his travelings, just have him show up in Mereen with the marriage contract and die trying to release the dragons.

It's IMPOSSIBLE to have only season for the two books. Surely you can reduce Brienne's wanderings, and some of the Iron Islands (but not the Kingsmoot), but there's only so much you can cut for the story to have any sense.

Yeah, I think one season wouldn't be enough for both books. They face a pretty big challenge after ASOS, if the show gets that far. They are going to have to make some serious cuts, which I imagine will be Brienne's wanderings, the Iron Islands, and most of Dorne. I think the real problem will be that there are just too many POVs in different places for them to cover adequately. Before I read ADWD I thought they should combine both books into one season, but now I'm not sure. They might have to do AFFC as a single season, or at least as like five episodes, just because it would otherwise be covering too many POVs. With AFFC and ADWD, there are these povs

1. Cersei in KL

2. Jaime in KL and Riverlands

3. Brienne's travels (probably cut or greatly condesned)

4. Iron Islands (cut most likely)

5. Dorne (cut probly)

6. Samwell going to Oldtown (condensed)

7. Arya in Braavos

8. Sansa in the Eyrie

9. Tyrion's travels

10. Dany ruling in Mereen

11. Davos

12. Jon at the wall

13. Theon with Roose

14. one off character chapters that could be cut or condensed (Jon Connington, Victarion, Asha,)

15. Bran's travels

There is simply no way to cover all this without either greatly condesning most of them or cutting several. And since most of these POVs are going on at the same time, there's no way to include them all in an episode, or even half of them. So they might be best served by doing like four to six episodes that cover the events of AFFC just so the show isn't constantly jumping around; even if they just include the main happenings--Tyrion, Cersei, Jaime, Arya, Sansa, Dany, Jon, Theon, Bran--that's too many storylines to fit into an episode without feeling extremely disjointed. Plus, some of these POVs have much less time than others--Sansa and Bran only 3 pov chapters, Arya five I think--so they will be cut short at some point. Pretty much I think they'll have to also combine stuff from TWOW into these seasons also, or suddenly Bran, arya, and Sansa's storylines will end midseason.

I don't envy the writers if the show makes it this far.

Archived