Game of Thrones around the world

PestilencE

Taken from WiC, here is an image that depicts which countries around the world air the show:

http://winter-is-coming.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/130608110581501.png

Does anyone else find it weird that most of the Arab world has picked up the show, whereas some European countries, most notably Greece, Switzerland, Iceland and the Netherlands have not? I can't get my head around it.

Taken from WiC, here is an image that depicts which countries around the world air the show:

http://winter-is-com...08110581501.png

Does anyone else find it weird that most of the Arab world has picked up the show, whereas some European countries, most notably Greece, Switzerland, Iceland and the Netherlands have not? I can't get my head around it.

question of channels. One pan-arab satellite (or cable, don't remember) channel picked it up, so that gets you a whole bunch of countries, though maybe not necessarily very high viewership, the same with central Europe and South America. Like, I grew up watching a lot of american shows on STAR, which was based in I think Hong Kong or maybe India and came with cable, so technically all of those shows were on air in Israel, but it couldn't be said that there was some particular Israeli interest in them.

One of the stations here may eventually pick it up but I doubt any of them want to shell out the cash for it right now.

The books have been translated to Greek though I don't know how popular they might be here overall.

• 1 month later...

I'm dutch and i'm not really surpised, it usually takes quite long before dutch tv channels pick up shows (most of the time we are two or more seasons behind the original), but with Carice van Houten being in the second season I don't think it will take that much longer for a dutch channel to pick up the show.

It will be interesting to see how DVD sales go. The DVDs may make it to many countries before a cable or channel version does.

Seems I saw something about Peter Jackson having seen it, in his case there may even be personal copies from the producers.

The only real surprise absence there is NZ. Guess they're waiting a while for the asking price to come down

Indeed. The ONLY native english speaking country in the world not to pick it up! :tantrum: We see every other HBO show here. Though not totally sure about The Wire.

Too bad for NZ TV because I'm certain nearly every NZ fan of the books has already seen the entire season, and a lot of other people who haven;t read the books have already seen the entire season. If someone actually broadcasts here I probably won't bother to watch. Rather I'll just get the Blu-ray when it releases either from Aussie or the UK. I believe Aussie and NZ are now in the Europe zone for Blu-ray (unlike DVD).

I think a NZ broadcaster needs to pick up season 1 and 2 as a package deal, and really only expect a sizeable audience for season 2. It does happen from time to time that NZ broadcasters only take notice of a show at season 2 and so run the first 2 seasons close together. But with the interwebs these days it becomes less viable for a genre show to achieve good ratings if it's delayed substantially.

Several sources in the Netherlands state that cablecompany Ziggo is working with HBO to create an HBO package in the Netherlands, which is going to be competing with the Film1 package. Dutch networks weren't allowed to buy HBO shows in Cannes last april.

Sources:

http://www.volkskrant.nl/vk/nl/2676/Cultuur/article/detail/2860750/2011/08/23/Kwaliteitszender-HBO-krijgt-Nederlandse-versie.dhtml

http://www.totaaltv.nl/?action=nieuws&id=6113

Edit: The original source for english readers:

http://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2011/08/22/ziggo-and-hbo-to-launch-dutch-premium-services/

Im in Serbia,its like "north from the Wall" in ASOIAF terms and I was makeng preporations to download GOT from where ever when ,I was going to work one day in March and entire city was coverd with anounsments for show on HBO ADRIA.

It aird one day after US premier

It totaly made me happyest person in the world cose we usualy hawe to get by some not all that leagal ways to wach new programs.

so it is very strange to me that some normal countries did not get it

I was not surprised at all that no TV company picked up GoT in The Netherlands. TV climate over here is pretty poor. Goverment channels 1,2 and 3 don't have the budget to do so and when they finally show some quality show, years after it was originally aired, like The Sopranos they completely mess up the schedule. The commercial stations are even worse, showing "hit" shows that were cheap to buy since they are already cancelled in the US. They only dare to take 'risks' on sure things like SATC, Prison Break, Desperate Housewives and stuff like that. Can't remember the last time we had a quality HBO series air over here. Six Feet Under did run for a time on one of the goverment channels but a show like The Wire has never been aired over here which is pretty insane if you ask me. I don't know about all those other countries but we don't have any pay-channels. That is about to change as someone mentioned before.

I was not surprised at all that no TV company picked up GoT in The Netherlands. TV climate over here is pretty poor. Goverment channels 1,2 and 3 don't have the budget to do so and when they finally show some quality show, years after it was originally aired, like The Sopranos they completely mess up the schedule. The commercial stations are even worse, showing "hit" shows that were cheap to buy since they are already cancelled in the US. They only dare to take 'risks' on sure things like SATC, Prison Break, Desperate Housewives and stuff like that. Can't remember the last time we had a quality HBO series air over here. Six Feet Under did run for a time on one of the goverment channels but a show like The Wire has never been aired over here which is pretty insane if you ask me. I don't know about all those other countries but we don't have any pay-channels. That is about to change as someone mentioned before.

Well, as I said, maybe there were a few channels who wanted to pick it up but HBO didn't want to sell last april. So I'm not blaming them, after all BNN showed Boardwalk Empire a couple of weeks after HBO did. It also depends if you consider the 'extra digital packet' which contains FoxLife, 13th Street, SyFychannel as paychannels, but Sport1, Film1 and EredivisieLive are paychannels for sure.

HBO Asia started airing it here, and from what I've seen (I was able to watch the whole series whilst I was in the US) the cuts are TERRIBLE. Which I definitely expected, but still. Didn't bother sticking around to see if the Bran climbs the tower scene would be cut. I'm wondering how future episodes will go when there's more sexposition involved.

Archived