Sansa

Slychd

I know that a lot of people are indifferent towards Sansa, and probably that is why I have always had a soft spot for her. I can see past her childish notions of chivalry, knights, and ladies. That’s how young women of her status were reared, it is not her fault. She has had some tough lessons to learn since coming to King’s Landing, including learning that her handsome prince was a true monster.

Her being married to Tyrion was unexpected, until the chapter it was first mentioned. I have to say that I was pleasantly shocked and dismayed at the same time. I know he would treat her as well as he could, but the Sansa in me was hoping for her to escape to Highgarden and be protected by the Tyrell’s, but that might have been jumping from frying pan into fire, I haven’t finished the book so that remains to be seen when they Tyrell’s play there hand if they do.

I very much enjoyed The Queen of Thorns, she was crafty and plainspoken in the chapter in which she appeared, and I would like to learn more about her.

I am not sure how to feel about Lollys Stokeworth. It seems wrong to laugh at a dim-witted person who was gang raped, but I kind of laugh (even though I feel bad for laughing) whenever they mention this pregnant woman who is always crying at any event where she appears. How do others see her?

• 2 weeks later...

I think out of all the characters, Sansa is the one that my opinion of has changed the most. In the first book she went running to Cersei of Ned's plans to return her and Arya to Winterfell, resulting in Ned's death! Yet now after seeing her character development her story is very tragic. Tyrion is nice and all, but he is ugly as sin. Imagine having all 4ft of him bouncing up and down on you? I'm glad they haven't had sex yet as i'm pretty sure i'd puke! Lord knows what diseases Tyrion would give her!

I really hope her story starts to feel a bit more positive...the Stark's stories are all getting a bit depressing for me :rolleyes:

I have just finished the 3rd Sansa chapter, and I thought it was brilliantly set up ... The chapter where she went for tea with the Tyrells & The Queen of Thorns had me thinking that there might be light at the end of the tunnel - turned out it was an oncoming train!

Lol, every time I see something that might lead to Sansa having a happy ending, I just brush it off, because there is no way it will happen. Maybe in the end.

She is so massively naive that it hurts.

One obvious example (other than the above mentioned) being:

Sans not listening to Ser Dontos the Fool when the arrengements for her escape has finally been made. Choosing to stay in hopes of making the crippled Tyrell love her just reeked of coming torment.

I do find her quite hard to like but can but help to wonder what role she will play in the larger scheme of things. Also, I'm beginning to feel despair whenever I read a House Stark chapter. The poor family never gets a break it seems, it's just a slow painful road to ruin for them so far.

I am one of those who is indifferent towards Sansa. She has jelly for brains, and amidst all that is happening around her and to her, she still dreams of a prince who would sweep her from her feet. When she meets Ser Dontos and tells him the Tyrells' plans to take her to Highgarden, Ser Dontos bluntly tells her that it is because she is the heir to Winterfell and nothing more than that. After all that has happened to her and all the scheming that has been going around her, she still does not know what is good for her and decides to never visits Ser Dontos again. Bran, Ned, Catelyn, Robb - none of them deserved what happened to them, but Sansa is sinking in a boat she herself chose.

That’s how young women of her status were reared, it is not her fault.

I have some names for you - Cersai, Asha Greyjoy and the Queen of Thrones. So yes, it is her fault. Adapt or die! Sansa should be glad she isn't dead yet!

Another one with a brain full of idealistic thoughts is Brianne of Tarth. But at least she has physical strength!

I am one of those who is indifferent towards Sansa. She has jelly for brains, and amidst all that is happening around her and to her, she still dreams of a prince who would sweep her from her feet. When she meets Ser Dontos and tells him the Tyrells' plans to take her to Highgarden, Ser Dontos bluntly tells her that it is because she is the heir to Winterfell and nothing more than that. After all that has happened to her and all the scheming that has been going around her, she still does not know what is good for her and decides to never visits Ser Dontos again. Bran, Ned, Catelyn, Robb - none of them deserved what happened to them, but Sansa is sinking in a boat she herself chose.

I have some names for you - Cersai, Asha Greyjoy and the Queen of Thrones. So yes, it is her fault. Adapt or die! Sansa should be glad she isn't dead yet!

Another one with a brain full of idealistic thoughts is Brianne of Tarth. But at least she has physical strength!

I have to disagree with your examples. Cersei is from the power hungry Lannister family and Asha is from hardcore sea-faring people. The Queen of Thorns has a lifetime of experience to draw on.

I have to disagree with your examples. Cersei is from the power hungry Lannister family and Asha is from hardcore sea-faring people.

From noble families nonetheless, and brought up in much the same way as Sansa (Cersai more than Asha, I agree). Cersai chose to hunger after power fully knowing that the game of thrones is one in which you win or you die. When will Sansa learn that she is in this game whether she wants/likes/wills it or not? When will she stop putting herself at the mercy of others?

The Queen of Thorns has a lifetime of experience to draw on.

My point exactly. How many instances have we come across where there was ample opportunity for Sansa to draw conclusions from her experiences, too? Take her dinner with the Queen of Thrones. She does wonder why Margaery would ask her to dinner and so on, but the minute the Queen of Thrones asks her to visit Highgarden and her plans to marry her to Willas Tyrell, she goes all dreamy again. Geez lady, haven't you learned so far that nothing is what it seems!? Even when Dontos tells her the reason for this, right to her face, she rejects it. It wasn't like she was out of options!

• 2 weeks later...

Sansa is a very idealistic person, and her idealism prevents her from seeing reality at times. However, I think once she realizes this about herself, her idealism will become a strength rather than a weakness. I can definitely relate to her burning desire for a better reality; she just lacks experience to temper it.

Sansa is a very idealistic person, and her idealism prevents her from seeing reality at times. However, I think once she realizes this about herself, her idealism will become a strength rather than a weakness. I can definitely relate to her burning desire for a better reality; she just lacks experience to temper it.

I think that is a very good way to put it.

I haven't been that big of a fan of Sansa throughout the first three books. Yes, she's naive and thinks life is like a song, but that never really bothered me. What bothered me the most about Sansa was her disrespect of her family and where she comes from. Her infatuation with Joffrey and her obsession with the lifestyle she coveted at King's Landing caused her to turn her back on her family or at least not value them on more than one occasion. Every time I thought she might learn her lesson about people at court, I was disappointed.

However, I do like that she has somewhat of a good heart. Through everything that she has been through, she's never, that I remember, thinking about vengeance. In that I think she's a lot like Catelyn, and it gives me hope that she'll grow out of the stage she was in throughout the first books.

I really liked her building Winterfell in her final chapter though. I think it's a sign that she remembers her roots, and while she'll probably always have an idealistic personality, I think it's a sign that we're about to see a stronger and more realistic Sansa. At least I hope so; I've been waiting for her to develop a sense of awareness for three books now.

Sansa and Jaime are two characters that have completely changed in my eyes and both ways for a positive. In A Game of Thrones, Sansa was annoying and childish. In A Clash of Kings she started to come around and realize that the Knight in Shining armour wasn't coming and she might have to get herself out of it. In A Storm of Swords she kind of drifts back to being annoying, but her circumstance are harsh (at least in her eyes) but Tyrion doesn't put any pressure and he isn't at all cruel towards her but she is pouty because it's not what she wanted.

In A Feast For Crows she really came into her role. With Littlefingers plans for her and with some shrewd planning of her own she could en up prospering a big way. Meanwhile her character has matured and became kind of interesting.

Sansa and Jaime are two characters that have completely changed in my eyes and both ways for a positive. In A Game of Thrones, Sansa was annoying and childish. In A Clash of Kings she started to come around and realize that the Knight in Shining armour wasn't coming and she might have to get herself out of it. In A Storm of Swords she kind of drifts back to being annoying, but her circumstance are harsh (at least in her eyes) but Tyrion doesn't put any pressure and he isn't at all cruel towards her but she is pouty because it's not what she wanted.

In A Feast For Crows she really came into her role. With Littlefingers plans for her and with some shrewd planning of her own she could en up prospering a big way. Meanwhile her character has matured and became kind of interesting.

I agree. Sansa was pretty annoying. But it's interesting how she's becoming more and more schrewed. And those who have been her heroes were the ones she was the most disgusted by (The Hound/Tyrion/Dontos) Very interesting.

I do hope that Sansa

grows to love Tyrion. I really do think he tries to be good for her, and is the most heroic character in Kings Landing these days

• 1 month later...

I also feel sympathy for Sansa. It was cruel to marry her to Tyrion without telling her (right before the wedding doesn't count). Of course she doesn't trust any Lannister, not after her ill treatment by the queen and Joff.

At the people who think Lollys being gang raped is funny....okay wtf is wrong with people? She's mentally handicapped - and she was subjected to huge trauma during the gang rape. Just because she's fat, it's ok to laugh about her? That's disgusting. I feel pity towards her. The only thing that was humorous was Lady Tanda's diligent pursuit of men to marry her off, with her cooking. I don't see how her being pregnant after the gang rape and crying is funny. It's sick.

• 3 months later...

Oh it was hard for me to ignore those spoilers!!!

I'm hoping Sansa smartens up. She is a good person, a little easily dazzled but hey, she's a kid. I'm hoping she starts seeing all the ways she can use her high birth and pretty face to get what she wants. It's ok to work what you're got, girl! Er, I just want to shake her. I'm hoping she is able exact some pretty sweet vengeance and then start to rebuild the strength of her family. At the very least I want her to start giving 'em hell...come on!!! She could be such a bad ass character if she'd just wake up and start playing the game....

I kind of imagine Sansa growing to outsmart Cersei...

It would be so cool if in a future plot twist she could return to King's Landing and show Cersei what she've learned from all the suffering! I really look forward to the day she'll stop being a piece and become a player in the chess game!

I do hope that Sansa

grows to love Tyrion.

Sorry, but... every time I see this line, I think of a cartoon villain twirling his mustache and telling the damsel in distress, "You may hate me now, but soon you will grow to love me mwahaha! Guards, take her to my bedchamber!"

Seriously, why should Sansa have to "grow to love" anyone? Either she does or she doesn't; she's not immature or selfish just because she doesn't have romantic feelings for someone who was nice to her, especially when the aforementioned male

has never given any indication of love for her.

I think she will grow bigger eventually. She had been kind of bored, but she is quielty learning her lessons.

I actually like that Sansa is not another of these warrior-women. I first like that Sansa and Arya were opposite, and then came Brienne of Tarth.

I agree that she is probably more like the way women are educated.

I don't think there is much difference between the Sansa that first came to King's Landing and let's say Margaery Tyrell and her cousins.

The only difference is that Sansa is alone, coming from the end of the world (yes that is what WInterfell is : it is just so far away that even singers don't go there so often). I can understand why Sansa was looking forward all the glitters from the big city. I doubt her father's bannermen (the Karstarks or the Boltons) were really galant and art lovers people.

Margaery is coming from a much bigger place (it seems at least), much closer to other places, and above all she has a mother and a grand mother that are used to the plotting. I doubt neither Eddard or Catelyn Stark gave these valors to their children.

In the first book she went running to Cersei of Ned's plans to return her and Arya to Winterfell, resulting in Ned's death!

Perhaps it's just nitpicking, but every time I read this I fell the need to remember that Sansa running to Cersei did not have any effect on Ned's death. Anything that Sansa might have told Cersei, she already knew because Ned himself had already told her that night at the godswood.

Archived