[AdwD Spoilers] "Septa" Lemore

Tyrion thinks:

"Lemore, though... Who is she, really? Why is she here? Not for gold, I´d judge. What is the price for her? Was she even a real septa?

When I first read Thyion VI I hat the idea "Septa" Lemore = Ashara Dayne. But I was not the first one posting this idea in this forum. Mysh and Prince Rhaegar Targaryen hat the same idea and posted it in the Barristan 3 post.

I´d really like do discuss the theory.

First I thought the hair colour was wrong. I always imagined Ashara was a blond. But in the second Barristan chapter the remembers Ashara Dayne. And he says: long dark hair tumbling about her shoulders and those haunting purple eyes, p. 879. And Barristan reveals for the first time that she was really pregnant.

"Septa" Lemore is darkhaired.

Edit:

Dragonfish found the quote in regards of Lemores hair.

Here it is, on p. 119: "An older couple with a Rhoynish cast to their features stood close beside the tiller, whilst a handsome septa in a soft white robe stepped through the cabin door and pushed a lock of dark brown hair from her eyes."

Interestingly, the color of her eyes is not mentioned in this scene.

As for whether or not Connington would recognize her as Ashara, I think he would, since he danced with her at Harrenhal. However, we never really see him refer to her as Lemore in his own internal monologue. Only when he speaks out loud does he call her "Lady Lemore", but since others call him Griff that doesn't really prove much (it could just be that they all prefer to call each other by their aliases).

She is well educated and she was pregnant in the past. She had stretch marks on her belly that could only come from childbirth, p. 181.

Do you think Ashara is alive or is this another red herring?

I think the main problem is her eye color is never mentioned, IIRC, but Ashara had hauntingly beautiful violet eyes -- surely Tyrion would have noticed (counter: there are ways to dye/tint eyes in Westeros that we don't know of; I've speculated that Melisandre's red eyes are along these lines.)

Also, she's placed in her 40's, while the "young maiden" Ashara that Barristan refers to ... surely she must not have been past 18 or so, so not past mid-30 in the present (about of an age with Cersei and Catelyn, basically)? Also, no reference that noted Dornish accent, though it may be that she's hiding it or perhaps the Daynes have less of it, being stony Dornish.

As always, I finish with my looney theory:

Ashara Dayne is Quaithe.

It is known.

I don't think everybody in this series has a secret identity. I don't think Haldon, Duck, or Lemore were anything other than side characters. Why does Lemore stick out to you as opposed to the other two? The "runaway/disgraced nun" is a common literary stock character.

I don't think everybody in this series has a secret identity. I don't think Haldon, Duck, or Lemore were anything other than side characters. Why does Lemore stick out to you as opposed to the other two? The "runaway/disgraced nun" is a common literary stock character.

Considering the number of false identities and switcheroos Martin has used in this series, I doubt all the hints about Lemore's past is going to mean nothing.

Having had an affair and a child with Oberyn Martell does not necessarily make a lady, even a former septa, a tool of the Martells.

I think she is Teyne´s mother, remember this is this type of series, a tapestry full of threads showing up here and there. Anyway, maybe we will find out in the next books, maybe not.

thank you Brandon. In real world blonde and blue eyed are both recessive independently but LOL, in this series we know coloring is ahem simpler, so not sure if that is decisive. But I do see Lemore as most probably Oberyn´s former lover.

Like cteresa, I got the feeling that Lemore could be Tyene Sand's mother. Never really thought she could be Ashara...I actually think Ashara really is dead (wonder if I'll have to eat my words when the next book comes out).

I think the main problem is her eye color is never mentioned, IIRC, but Ashara had hauntingly beautiful violet eyes -- surely Tyrion would have noticed (counter: there are ways to dye/tint eyes in Westeros that we don't know of; I've speculated that Melisandre's red eyes are along these lines.)

Also, she's placed in her 40's, while the "young maiden" Ashara that Barristan refers to ... surely she must not have been past 18 or so, so not past mid-30 in the present (about of an age with Cersei and Catelyn, basically)? Also, no reference that noted Dornish accent, though it may be that she's hiding it or perhaps the Daynes have less of it, being stony Dornish.

As always, I finish with my looney theory:

Ashara Dayne is Quaithe.

It is known.

I've been spouting that one for years!!!

It crossed my mind that Asahara was the HalfSepta, although for all the reasons people have mentioned I'm doubting it now. I think she's likely Aegon's "real" mom (guessing of course that he is a fake).

Archived