[ADWD SPOILERS] Tyrion 1 p. 16-30 US HC

Xray the Enforcer

Aha, a prominent mention of the exact number of ladder rungs to the hands chamber and the fact the brazier was lit in the mosaic dragon room!

Varys Did It lives!

Or we're nuts, also a possibility.

Aha, a prominent mention of the exact number of ladder rungs to the hands chamber and the fact the brazier was lit in the mosaic dragon room!

Varys Did It lives!

Or we're nuts, also a possibility.

Clearly I'm missing some background here: Varys did what, again?

Clearly I'm missing some background here: Varys did what, again?

I think the theory is that he intentionally led Tyrion to the room in the hopes that he would dispose of Tywin when he found Shae in Tywin's bed. Otherwise, there's no reason why the bazaar would be lit when they entered the room, unless Varys wanted to draw attention to the ladder rung.

Due to previous conversations with Shae, Varys knew that Tyrion would reasonably expect that this rung led to the hand's chamber when he saw it.

"That was when the dwarf turned to the eunuch and said, "I've killed my father," in the same tone a man might use to say, "I've stubbed my toe."

"Tyrion pictured how his sister's head might look up there...and Jaime must have the spike beside her, he decided. No one must ever come between my brother and sister."

I really liked the Illyrio/Tyrion conversation. Two schemers verbally fencing, with a great capper. I have to say, I can't really read it without picturing Dinklage and Roger Allam just devouring the scenery.

I think the theory is that he intentionally led Tyrion to the room in the hopes that we would dispose of Tywin when he found Shae in Tywin's bed. Otherwise, there's no reason why the bazaar would be lit when they entered the room, unless Varys wanted to draw attention to the ladder rung.

Due to previous conversations with Shae, Varys knew that Tyrion would reasonably expect that this rung led to the hand's chamber when he saw it.

Thank-you for that. I'd been looking (but didn't have your keen eye for detail obviously) for evidence to account for the possibility Varys had orchestrated that encounter, but didn't notice that. Cool.

That Tyrion chapter was somewhat painful -- not in a bad writing sense, but in the claustrophobia and mental anguish that Tyrion suffers during his boat and cask journey, and then the way he acts like an utter asshole to the servants. It's like the remaining shreds of goodness died with Shae and all that's left is a bitter husk. Even his wit doesn't save him from being something hateful.

But yeah, the descriptions of food made me want to eat a second dinner. :drool:

That Tyrion chapter was somewhat painful -- not in a bad writing sense, but in the claustrophobia and mental anguish that Tyrion suffers during his boat and cask journey, and then the way he acts like an utter asshole to the servants. It's like the remaining shreds of goodness died with Shae and all that's left is a bitter husk. Even his wit doesn't save him from being something hateful.

But yeah, the descriptions of food made me want to eat a second dinner. :drool:

My sister complained that she couldn't get any reading done during this bit, since she kept having to go eat more cheese.

I think the theory is that he intentionally led Tyrion to the room in the hopes that he would dispose of Tywin when he found Shae in Tywin's bed. Otherwise, there's no reason why the bazaar would be lit when they entered the room, unless Varys wanted to draw attention to the ladder rung.

Wait... didn't Varys tell Tyrion exactly how many rungs to go up in ASOS? Or was it that Tyrion was counting in his head and randomly stopped at 23, leaving it ambiguous as to how he knew? I just read ASOS two months ago but I guess I need to go back and check this detail.

My sister complained that she couldn't get any reading done during this bit, since she kept having to go eat more cheese.

I couldn't blame her, with all the mentions of cheese. You could make a game of it. Not the tastiest of foods or drinks to gorge yourself on, unfortunately.

Archived