[ADWD SPOILERS] Tyrion 2

Xray the Enforcer

From Tyrion 2:

"He looked for ruts and cracks but found only a pile of warm dung deposited by one of the horses. The dung made him think of his lord father."

Actually, this one is maybe not as snarky as you might think. Tywin Lannister had once entered Joffrey's throne room mounted on a horse which then loosened some apples on the marble. I think he was reminded of this bizarre situation.

And on a side note, I have always liked him best when he was sarcastic and mean. I just wish sometimes he had a little more control over his big chattery mouth. One day it will be the end of him, I fear.

• 2 weeks later...

Tyrion used to be my favourite, both as character and POV, but it's harder to sympathize with the man he has become after he was released from the black cells by Jaime.

I just watched GRRM's invterview with TIFF on his blog. He talks about that. He says Tyrion is his favorite character, but that he knows it's hard to love him right now because he is in an extremely dark place. I wouldn't worry though, I have a feeling we will shortly see the return of our beloved little Imp.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Tyrion wondered something intriguing that I hadn't thought of before. Why is Illyrio interested in who wears the crown in Westeros? I suppose he could want to be master of the coin, but that doesn't make sense because he then says that he enjoys his manse better than any castle.

Whatever he's interested in, they must think it's important for the Lannisters to remain in power because he, if it was him, was talking with Varys, I assume, in GoT about killing Ned if he proved to be as much of a problem as Jon Arryn.

Illyrio seems to have all the money & power he wants. He says has has "debts of affection to repay." That sounds to me like he is in this for revenge.

I have also been thinking a lot about that conversation in GoT. Maybe Varys & Illyrio had their own plans for revealing the truth behind Cersei's bastards. They probably had to wait for the right time to make their move. Makes me wonder though. Lysa claimed to have killed Jon Arryn at the behest of Littlefinger. Did Littlefinger's game just happen to link up with Varys's, or is it all connected? So hard to tell since they are both famous liars.

• 2 months later...

Loads of great one-liners from both Tyrion and Illyrio in this chapter.

"Our lord of cheese is the size of an elephant, but he has a bladder like a peanut,"

made me laugh out loud.

“I am fond of coins. Is there any sound as sweet as the clink of gold on gold?”

A sister’s screams.

Ouch. Tyrion is really in a dark place. Also, the story of Illyrio's 2nd wife getting the grey plague is significant. I wonder how important the greyscale and grey plague become in the last 2 books. As if the others aren't a big enough threat.

I wonder whether Illyrio believes that the Others are a threat to Essos and hopes that Dany will be the saviour of the whole world. We don't know much about his religion.

• 2 weeks later...

Tyrion certainly has som morbid thoughts about Tywin.

From Tyrion 1:

"If only I was better with a crossbow, I would have put it through that cock you made me with, you bloody bastard."

From Tyrion 2:

"He looked for ruts and cracks but found only a pile of warm dung deposited by one of the horses. The dung made him think of his lord father."

Tyrion used to be my favourite, both as character and POV, but it's harder to sympathize with the man he has become after he was released from the black cells by Jaime.

Yes I agree.. but when I think about it, Ive hated most of these characters at one time or another.

• 4 months later...

Well, I think it makes Tyrion even more human, a bit like us. We find ourselves in dark places sometimes, Tyrion isn't immune to that. He is one of the most, if not the most, interesting character in the series, and I love what GRRM does with him.

Reading Tyrion 2 in ADWD, I am reminded of all the stages he has gone though, and how power is fragile. He was very powerful in ACOK, when he was acting hand, he was playing games with the likes of Varys, LF and Cersei. He was their equal (or he thought he was - that's open for debate), and showing quite a bit of cunning. However, he was showing his good side too, stopping Joffrey from hitting Sansa, thinking of schemes to protect KL from Stannis, working quite hard really.

Then it was all taken away from him, and he had a massive fall from grace. Disfigurement (nose), Tywin's return, forced marriage to Sansa (in which he shows some more humanity), humiliation by Joffrey (cupbearer), removal from the council, accusations of kinslaying and kingslaying combined, jail, ... wow!

Quite amazing really. I also don't begrudge him a little bitterness, even though he should count himself lucky to be alive and free(ish).

Archived