[ADWD SPOILERS] Jon 2

Xray the Enforcer

Oh, goodness. I just finished this chapter and am filled with glee that must be expressed!

Goodbye, Janos Slynt and good riddance to bad rubbish! *dances*

I didn't see the change to beheading to be just a Ned homage, it is after all how they deal with deserters of the Watch. Slynt was one small step away from deserting as is (heck, Jon suspected he would if he forced him off to Greyguard.) and couldn't one see such disrespect and disobedience as a kind of desertion?

I loved the little moment shared with Stannis at the end. Do I sense approval from the last surviving Baratheon brother? :D

Seems to me that Jon and Stannis will be very interesting to follow through the rest of this book.

I was among those who thought it was nice to see the first part of this chapter mirror the corresponding Sam chapter in AFFC. I always thought Jon seemed so...hard and unpleasant when I read Feast, but now that I could look inside Jon's head through it I fully understood why that was the case.

Bless you Maester Aemon. May Daenerys be just as wise as you.

(And now I need to borrow AFFC off my brothers so I can re-read the two chapters at the same time, stealing that idea from user Doran.)

until now, this chapter its one of my favorites, the internal monologue was AMAZING! and for me, showing jon's side of the conversation was very clever of Martin.

although, jon its getting A LOT like Ned.... this could end up being a problem

:agree:

I like the POV from 2 very different people, and GRRM nailed it.

I thought the conversation between Bowen Marsh and Jon about what to do with the Wall was very interesting. Jon conceeds that Bowen makes sense, but it goes against his own istincts to no longer send out rangers. Bowen is saying they should fill up the gates and have their eyes be the sentries on top of the wall, because the gates are the Wall's weakness. Bowen made a very strong case, especially since most of the rangers sent out get killed. We will see if Jon is right to keep the gates and keep sending rangers out, or if Bowen's advise was more sage.

Good chapter. But did anyone else notice, that the trip from Castle Black to Greydoor must be much more than 40 leagues? Considering that the wall is 300 leagues in length. And did i read from somewhere, that Jon even said that it's a 1000 leagues long?? Or did I interpret it wrong, because did he say something like "There is one brother for one league of the wall" or something?

• 2 weeks later...

When I realised that we were getting the same events we already knew from Sam's POV from Jon's this time, I pulled out Feast and read them in parallel. Amazing! For example, where Jon just notices that Sam's looks like he wants to add something more at one point, but doesn't think more of it, Sam is actually torn about telling him that his brother Bran is still alive.

I lent my copy of AFfC, so I can't check the text, but was it in fact determined that Sam knows it was Bran Stark he helped across the Wall and gave into Coldhands' care? If so, what rationale was given for Sam withholding that info from Jon? Sorry if it happens I've totally forgotten something relevant, but I can't see why Sam wouldn't tell Jon right away if he knew.

Jon made some damn tough calls this chapter, and I love how he's growing into the role of Lord Commander. Slynt was SNOWNED indeed!

I lent my copy of AFfC, so I can't check the text, but was it in fact determined that Sam knows it was Bran Stark he helped across the Wall and gave into Coldhands' care? If so, what rationale was given for Sam withholding that info from Jon? Sorry if it happens I've totally forgotten something relevant, but I can't see why Sam wouldn't tell Jon right away if he knew.

Because he had to swear a vow not to tell anyone that Bran was still alive.

GH

Forgot to mention, I really like the very end of this chapter, where Stannis meets Jon's eyes and gives him a brief nod. It's a very little thing, but I just felt like it was Stannis' way of saying 'Nicely handled.' Taking off Slynt's head for his insubordination was exactly the sort of unyielding justice that Stannis would approve of.

I thought that too! I think it will only make Jon higher up in Stannis' estimation.

I liked getting the conversation from Jon's POV, but I don't think it was necessary to rewrite all the tidbits of their conversation.

So long Janos Slynt! That was extremely satisfying.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I was very happy to how this chapter ended but I had a feeling it was going to happen. Jon taking care of his sword was a big hint how often has Jon been shown doing that? None that I can recall, also his thoughts of it being easy to slice through his body with his blade then Slynts' insolence. All after Aemons' advice to kill the boy within. GRRM could have made it a little less obvious about what was going to happen. I still enjoyed it though, the foreshadowing in the chapter was to obvious for my taste. As to Jon becoming to much like Ned I don't think so, he has plenty of Ned in him already he was just following the hardest lesson he taught his children carry out the sentence yourself.

Janys Slynt's death and the it was laid out along with Jon's internal monologue was the best part of this chapter.

I totally agree with you.I actually read the part 3 times yesterday evening in bed and was like Yes!yes, yes! this is good writing. Is was sooo great. And the fact that his smile has the sweetness of rancid butter was heaven and then he dare beg for merci .... I guess he just reallised that having friends in high places in KL does help at all when death is at your door step.

• 3 weeks later...

Jon is learning what it means to be a true leader and rising to the task. And I loved finding out that Maester Aemon had been giving Jon so much input.

When and if Mance finds out Jon saved his son, I wonder if he will try and find a way to repay the debt?

Great chapter.

• 1 month later...

I agree with much that has been said, storywise this chapter was very interesting. However, I am pretty much sure it contains some of the crappiest writing I've ever read from GRRM.

I mean, "and they talked a while about Stannis, Melisandre, Gilly, blahblah, until Jon said ...", seriously? Why not "and Jon killed Stannis, raped Melisandre, married Gilly, until he said ..." .....

This is even worse than the verbatim passages from AFfC ... this is just stuff a fifth-grader would write. oO

I agree with much that has been said, storywise this chapter was very interesting. However, I am pretty much sure it contains some of the crappiest writing I've ever read from GRRM.

I mean, "and they talked a while about Stannis, Melisandre, Gilly, blahblah, until Jon said ...", seriously? Why not "and Jon killed Stannis, raped Melisandre, married Gilly, until he said ..." .....

This is even worse than the verbatim passages from AFfC ... this is just stuff a fifth-grader would write. oO

Nah, you just can't pay attention to anything and blame it on the writer .

I was nervous for Jon while he was dealing with Slynt. I kept thinking there would be a mutiny! But what else could he do? The man was disobeying a direct order and laughing in his face while he did it. If he hadn't dealt swift punishment, he'd lose all respect and control of the NW. I know Jon hoped Janos would rise to the occasion, but his actions really dug his own grave. What did he expect?! Clearly he completely underestimated Jon. I imagine Jon's orders will be answered with a "yes, my lord!" from now on. I loved the moment when Jon decided to behead Slynt instead of hang him. He showed that he can back up his own death sentences. Of course the nod from Stannis was the cherry on top.

Great chapter!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived