[ADWD SPOILERS] Tyrion 3

Xray the Enforcer

Tyrion gets to show off history and dragon lore, a bit like he did in AGOT. A bit heavy handed from Martin (why should the Maester quiz Tyrion about dragons?), but it seems pretty obvious to me that he is set up to guide Dany in these matters. Gerion is mentioned prominently, too, and didn't he disappear somewhere in Essos (Valyria)?

And now Griff and young Griff. I remember there were many theories about them from old spoiler chapters. Let's see how they turn out.

Interesting: "I am Hugor hill, a little monster. Your little monster, if you like". Very similar to what Coldhands says at the end of Bran I: "Your monster, Brandon Stark".

Gerion is mentioned prominently, too, and didn't he disappear somewhere in Essos (Valyria)?

For some reason it occurred to me the moment I read it that Gerion is this "Prince of Sorrows" or "His Grey Grace", who was mentioned in this chapter. Why? I got a flashback to one of the things Dany saw in the House of the Undying about the dead grey man on the prow of the ship (can't remember the exact wording). And it would also be really clever because the Uncle Gerion that Tyrion knew was quick to laugh, and this Prince of Sorrows cannot laugh at all. And then there is that theory some have about the Sailor's Wife from AFFC and how she possibly is referring to Gerion when she refers to her "true" sailor husband. If His Grey Grace is indeed Gerion, then something terrible has happened to him...

Really, I have no solid evidence, just a strange gut feeling. Has anyone read any other theories around this?

As for Griff, and I know there was some talk about this in the part of the forum for people who have finished reading (I tried not to look too hard!) This might be too obvious, but could he be Jon Connington (whose sigil was a Griffin - there is a clue on this a few chapters further on but I can't elaborate for obvious reasons...) who supposedly drank himself to death in exile across the narrow sea... but what if that was some ruse to smuggle out a heir?

I'm sure both of these have been mentioned somewhere, but I've been trying to avoid forums!

• 2 weeks later...

Ser Rolly grabbed Tyrion by the collar. "Let us see how dwarfs swim," he said, chucking him headlong into the Rhoyne.

It would have been funnier if Ser Rolly tossed the dwarf. :leer:

Septa Lemore: my first thought was that she is Ashara Dayne, whose body conveniently was not found after her alleged suicide. But if she was I'm sure Tyrion would have noticed her purple eyes.

• 3 weeks later...

Ser Rolly grabbed Tyrion by the collar. "Let us see how dwarfs swim," he said, chucking him headlong into the Rhoyne.

Septa Lemore: my first thought was that she is Ashara Dayne, whose body conveniently was not found after her alleged suicide. But if she was I'm sure Tyrion would have noticed her purple eyes.

If you're write about that, and others are right about Griff being Connington, that would be two supposedly dead people whose bodies have never been found showing up.

I didn't like Tyrion in this chapter at all. It seemed he was rude for no purpose. Maybe being away from the game is wearing on him. I wanted to see him humbled a little without his family connections, but he's just getting worse.

• 3 weeks later...

I think I read somewhere that Septa Lemore is probably Tyene Sand's mother. Tyene's mother was said to be a septa (before she bore a bastard daugter for Oberyn Martell.)

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Sorry i need enlightenment. Why the need for Hugor Hill alias when tyrion already openly mentioned the crimes he did and that he killed tywin, and joffrey?

Because his true identity is known only to Griff. Illyrio Mopatis mentioned that he is the only man he trusts, and when he read the letter he burned it..I guess that's because he wouldn't reveal Tyrion's identity to the rest of the company. Even if the rest of them knew, it would still be wise not to call the most wanted man in Westeros by his name...

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Because his true identity is known only to Griff. Illyrio Mopatis mentioned that he is the only man he trusts, and when he read the letter he burned it..I guess that's because he wouldn't reveal Tyrion's identity to the rest of the company. Even if the rest of them knew, it would still be wise not to call the most wanted man in Westeros by his name...

How many noseless dwarves on the run can they be? Surely anyone would at the very least suspect he might be Tyrion Lannister.

Archived