[ADWD SPOILERS] Bran 2

Xray the Enforcer

Alright, well, that was boss.

A lot of it happens awful fast, or that's how it felt. But, well, that's how it would be; Bran doesn't get time to form a coherent picture, so neither do we.

I'm not learned enough in lore and continuity to recognize Bloodraven, but I see how it makes sense once it's spelled out for me. Dude looks awesome freaky.

I do like GRRM's usual approach to magic, something nebulous and unknowable in the shadows, and can see the arguments that some stuff here comes on a little strong. I certainly didn't expect to just encounter a Child of the Forest out of nowhere like that, but the imagery is all so cool, holds so well to the alien nebulousness we've come to expect from the magic in this story. And we only see the one Child; the others are, at most, eyes glittering in the shadows. Which is very typical of ASoIaF magic: even as we're getting an unobstructed glimpse of the mystical, we're reminded this is only the tip of the iceberg.

And Bran's thought about Meera ... don't want to come off like a fan who only gushes and burbles, but GRRM's got a real sense for how to anchor a highly action-based and gosh-wow-filled chapter like this.

And so, in conclusion: Hodor. Hodor hodor hodor hodor, hodor. Hodor!

• 4 weeks later...

What an amazing chapter. I did not make the Bloodraven connection, because I really didn't know anything about the Bloodraven. I caught that TEC was formerly of the Night's Watch and obviously not Benjen, since he is much older. I ordered the 3 compilation books that contain the Dunk and Egg novellas and I cannot wait to read them.

And I think that it is Bran who "loves" Meera and is crushing on her. I am really looking forward to the next Bran chapter.

What an amazing chapter. I did not make the Bloodraven connection, because I really didn't know anything about the Bloodraven. I caught that TEC was formerly of the Night's Watch and obviously not Benjen, since he is much older. I ordered the 3 compilation books that contain the Dunk and Egg novellas and I cannot wait to read them.

And I think that it is Bran who "loves" Meera and is crushing on her. I am really looking forward to the next Bran chapter.

I was confused by who loved Meera at first, but I think you're right and it is Bran. I'm scared for them though; I really don't want Jojen and Meera to die, but it seems that Jojen's days are numbered.

I haven't read the Dunk and Egg books yet either, but I have them for when I finish DwD.

The way they talk about Coldhands in this chapter only strengthens my belief that he is not Benjen. He seems to be something older. She said they killed him long ago. For someone who has lived for over 200 years, a year or two isn't a long time. Therefore, if it was Benjen wouldn't she have said something different besides "long ago"?

The way they talk about Coldhands in this chapter only strengthens my belief that he is not Benjen. He seems to be something older. She said they killed him long ago. For someone who has lived for over 200 years, a year or two isn't a long time. Therefore, if it was Benjen wouldn't she have said something different besides "long ago"?

Yes, I have to agree. I don't think Benjen is Coldhands. Now that we know there are still Children of the Forest alive, maybe Benjen is hidden away somewhere in another protected place. Although, if Benjen were still alive, I would have expected him to make his way back to The Wall. I suppose there is a possibility that we may never know what happened to Benjen, but I really hope Benjen has a further role in saving the 7 Kingdoms from the monsters north of The Wall.

Question: In the middle of the chapter, Bran references Arya as his 'little' sister. I thought Arya was older than Bran...?

I didn't even notice that; I'm pretty sure you're right though. I guess it could be a typo or it could just mean little, as in she's little or younger than Sansa.

In responsw to Iotun:

I see where you are coming from with not using logic and science to explain something that is not logically or scientifically possible, but only to an extent. Have you read Kings "The Dark Tower" ? (spoilers if you dont want any details on the series). That story follows your ideals as in all the major fantasy aspects are only vaguely explained(alas TDT is much more bizarre than this story), and it works; most of the time. But the series main antagonist , The Crimson King , is built in this fashion , and his appearance is dry. All throughout we are given vague information on how evil he is and to fear him , very similiar to how the others are spoken of in ASOIAF . He is not actually seen in the story until the last chapter and there is just a short confrontation between the crimson king and the protagonist. There is no information on where he came from, how he got his powera , or his motivations , and the final confrontation felt so (for lack of a better word) lame because of this.

Now lets look at the prologue. Before we had learned a little about wargs, and I was confused about Orell and his eagle , but then the prologue gave us more logical answers to how this works. I feel that if some of these questions about warging were not answered the wargs would be a less effective plot device. You say that you enjoy the human relationshops, but ubfortunately this is a fantasy story and these somewhat details and logical explanations turn the fantasy elements into a relatable human relationship.

You say that you dont want to know the motives of the others but i cant help but be scared of another uninspired end confrontation like in TDT. I feel that the origins of the others and motoves are necessary. Im not saying that we should have a Pov from there but some of the basics of their thoughts wiuld help engross the reader and make it more belivable.

• 2 weeks later...

I assume the thought process of Bran was that HE'S in love with Meera, but my initial thought was that he was thinking through Hodior's mind, suggesting that Hodor was in love with her. For some reason, I found that even sweeter.

Sniff. I love Hodor. If Martin kills him I may never forgive him!

Me being me I automatically assumed a practical joke. Put yourself in Meera's position. After 1-2 years of HODOR HODOR what would you do if Hodor turned to you and told you that ;) Especially in that situation!

• 3 weeks later...

Just finished reading this chapter. I'm all abuzz with all the things he saw.

I haven't read Dunk and Egg's story and don't want it spoiled, so if the following question is only knowable through reading those, let me know.

Who is the person who gets his throat slit by the heart tree (and bran can taste the blood)? I'm sure I've seen reference of this event before… I feel like my memory is all a mess from this series and reading it like 7 years ago and then returning to it again. So, so much forgotten and muddled :(

I only discovered Dunk and Egg's story this year, and since re-reading the books, and viewing this forum, I'm really starting to wish I'd started with those… I've always been pedantic about reading books in the right order - even if technically it doesn't matter. Not being "in the know" about all the easter eggs/ references etc drives me nuts :P

WOW. This is possibly my first time in reading the book that I skipped a few pages, I was really excited at what would happen to Bran and co.

Hopefully this means Jojen is safe for the time being, I don't think he would've survived longer if they were still out in the cold.

What do you think? About right? I'm trying to figure out the look for a painting this chapter inspired.

Quite close, but the CoTF don't have elvish ears - at the risk of being pedantic her ears were never described in the book. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't think 3EC is warging into the weirwood - he's becoming one. Think of all the hints we have that the weirwoods are watching - perhaps because CotF physically merge with the roots? If so, then the cutting down & burning of the weirwoods takes on a whole new meaning - they're not just killing the tree but the person who merged with it.

Me being me I automatically assumed a practical joke. Put yourself in Meera's position. After 1-2 years of HODOR HODOR what would you do if Hodor turned to you and told you that ;) Especially in that situation!

This is exactly the vibe I got...I thought Bran was just trying to "lighten the mood" or something. We have never ever gotten any kind of "crushing" vibe from Bran in his past POV's. To all of a sudden make him romantic towards Meera would be totally out of left field...at least to me.

I think Bran is just curious to see if he can talk through Hodor (and say something other than "hodor") and thought it would be funny.

Am I correct in thinking that Meera & Jojen do not know that Bran has been warging into Hodor...and that warging into a human being is "abominable" (from the prologue)? Maybe Bran hasn't told them b/c he knows it's wrong and/or they wouldn't approve?

(p.s. first time poster here...glad to have found this awesome forum! :laugh: )

• 1 month later...

I loved the action and finally getting somewhere! I'm beginning to wish I didn't know about Bloodraven from these forums so he could remain mysterious, at least until more is revealed in ASOIAF. Eventually I would like to read those books, though. I loved the line about Bran being able to fly! I pictured him riding a dragon with a special saddle.

• 1 month later...

Could anyone give me a short history of Bloodraven? I'm not familiar with the Dunk & Egg stories, simply for them not being released in Holland yet (not sure if they ever will), but I might order them in English later.

• 1 month later...

*covers her ears and sings LAAALALALALA*

People, I really like your enthusiasm, but shouldn't this thread be discussing things from this chapter (and what happened before in ASoIaF) and this chapter only? I have no idea who Bloodraven is as I haven't read the other stories. I didn't know there was a connection to Dunk&Egg - and wouldn't it have been amazing to find that out all by myself?

I have tons of questions about this chapter, but most of the postings here are about Dunk&Egg without spoiler tags.

I sincerely hope noone is offended now, maybe I misunderstood something. Just asking if people referring to Dunk&Egg, could you please use spoiler tags or at least clearly warn that you are talking about something else than ADWD? Thanks a bunch! I'll rather stay away from the thread for now and return later when I know what Dunk&Egg is all about!

Archived